This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Locked ?.

This closed now for a while can we get it back on line.... why was it closed in the first place ?. http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...&postcount=414
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    This closed now for a while can we get it back on line.... why was it closed in the first place ?. http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...&postcount=414
    Because of your behaviour of course.....Now read the rules and be a good boy for once in your life.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      For the past month one person has been moderating on this forum - that's myself. Through work and other commitments I don't have the bandwidth to be on here 24/7.

The thread you're referring to has required constant and ongoing moderation since it's inception - the amount of deleted posts speaks for itself. Posts were deleted because, to use that well worn byline - 'they did not meet the required standards of the site'. Most of that moderation was happening in retrospect - and that in itself lead to a situation where we nearly lost a valued member unnecessarily.

I decided my time was better spent addressing other issues on the forum - but it will be revisited.

Bojangles will be resuming his mod role shortly - this will go some way to addressing the existing deficit.
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Thread unlocked.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
          URL="http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26204&page=41"]Thread[/URL] unlocked.
          Having for the most part always felt treated with fairness and impartiality in here, the following should be read as an observation rather than a complaint.

The thread locked or unlocked, is to my mind, now immaterial......

Unfortunately the surgical treatment of some thread content now makes little sense of the reason it was 'treated' in the first place.

This selective 'surgery' has in my opinion created the impression of a 'bully' and a 'victim'...., neither being a true reflection of the situation.....

in fact the 'housekeeping' in this instance displays a hint of underlying bias.....an unhealthy attribute on any forum which can lead to distortion and misrepresentation of facts.

I'm the first to realise that the dedication of all moderators should be totally appreciated at all times, and especially when carried out in a fair and impartial manner, however favouritism, bias and distortion..... whether conscious or not...., intended or otherwise, can become a root cause of forum gangrene if left to fester.

All that said.....I am old and bold enough to understand the moderator holds all the tools...., an opinion...., and a sledge hammer..., leaving little choice save that of 'my way or the highway' ......

be that as it may...... one can but hope those tools are never employed to stifle the expression of contrasting opinion.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Thank you for your observations - they could have been made via PM but you've chosen to put me on the spot for some reason...

There were 430 posts made on that thread in a relatively short period - the majority of them by yourself, which is fine and to be welcomed.

Three of your posts were subsequently removed - they revolved around a dispute you were having with another member over the legalities and legitimacy of the recent referendum.

In the course of these posts you named the member by his real name twice - dragged in irrelevant issues relating to his membership of this and other forums from a year ago - and went on to dissect one of his posts to the extent that his - and your - comments were rendered incoherent and indecipherable.

The issue of 'bias' on my part does not arise - I do have a role in trying to keep the forum functioning as a platform where lively and robust discussions and arguments can take place - but members are expected to keep some sense of proportion in their responses to each other.

I'm aware that deleting posts can be a crude device at times - if you wish to edit or delete portions of them yourself then let me know by PM and they can be restored for you to do so.

Comment

I know this is probably irrelevant but my real name is Helen.....and everyone and their cat knows that...sometimes i get called that or MKM or other descriptive words and im never bothered....and sometimes i'll refer to someone ive known for a long time with their given name, should we not do that?? or is it just if the someone you refer to objects? i could pm ya too regarding this ..but i think others might like to know the answer too???

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                I know this is probably irrelevant but my real name is Helen.....and everyone and their cat knows that...sometimes i get called that or MKM or other descriptive words and im never bothered....and sometimes i'll refer to someone ive known for a long time with their given name, should we not do that?? or is it just if the someone you refer to objects? i could pm ya too regarding this ..but i think others might like to know the answer too???
                It's just common sense... Helen. The great majority of posters on this and similar websites employ a moniker - that's the way forums operate.

Members have a right to expect their privacy to be maintained on the forum - if you chose to waive that right, then fine, but it would be unwise to assume that others would wish to follow suit.

Comment

thanks....!!!!!!!!

Comment

idon`t recall anyone complaining about their given name used in a post...I think I`ll have to give this site a miss its getting too hard to take part in.
                    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I hope not cosmo....your are an amazing addition to this site...love your posts....i think as cogs said normally there wouldnt be an issue with mentioning someones name unless they object. just like me with my age....38 forever and always..!!!!

Comment

I hope not cosmo....your are an amazing addition to this site...love your posts....i think as cogs said normally there wouldnt be an issue with mentioning someones name unless they object. just like me with my age....38 forever and always..!!!!
                        Perhaps there's a misunderstanding in your post... so let me make my own position clear.

I do not support the addressing of members in public posts by their real names. I believe it's an intrusion on member's privacy to do so. Furthermore, I don't believe the onus is on the member to object - they should expect that as minimum standards on the administration and moderation of the forum.

There are a small minority of posters who are happy to engage on the public forum using their actual names - I've no problem with that on the basis they only address in that manner those who are happy to publicise their identity. Many of us sign off on PMs with our real names - but would take affront with someone addressing them in a public post using that name - it's basic internet etiquette and I'm surprised anyone would take issue with that.
                        Last edited by cogito; 08-07-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

well......am i ever sorry i asked for clarification.....because im more confused now than when i asked the original question..what should have been a simple question has now gathered legs and seems to becoming an issue......an issue i didnt want by the way.....and you'll notice in my reply to cosmo i tried to defuse? "I do not support the addressing of members in public posts by their real names" you say..... many of us here are actually signed on with our own names..so heres something that never occurred to me till your replies...will you now be moderating the use of "names" thro posts? im getting the impression from your reply you will......I don't believe the onus is on the member to object - they should expect that as minimum standards on the administration and moderation of the forum." so im guessing now your either going to be run off your feet moderating or dishing out infractions? AND i understand internet etiquette totally ive been using it since 1978 what i dont really understand is when its not the same rule across the board....as i said.....this has grown unnecessary legs!

Comment

..as i said.....this has grown unnecessary legs!
                            In pink stilletos... I'll come back to ye.

Comment

oh god...do us a favour and dont lol....youve already done my head in and my gout is starting up again....

THREAD CLOSED !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X