Family Tree Help Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
    I know the office was in Oisin House in Pearse Street in the eighties but I'm sure it was not there in the 50s. Anyone remember where they sent their sick certs to in the 50s
    Thanks jeangenie, would it have been part of the DWP ?, I would just like to know where his work was based, so I can make a picture of him going off to work every day.
    You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by MommyDearest View Post
      Thanks jeangenie, would it have been part of the DWP ?, I would just like to know where his work was based, so I can make a picture of him going off to work every day.

i think he may have been in our house......have you got a photo
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
        I know the office was in Oisin House in Pearse Street in the eighties but I'm sure it was not there in the 50s. Anyone remember where they sent their sick certs to in the 50s
        I remember as a little boy in the '50s one of my aunts was a TB patient. A man used to walk to the corner of the Diamond and Sean McDermott street where a number of women (maybe six or so) used to gather to wait for him. As soon as he arrived, always in cheerful mood, joking would go on for a few minutes while he gave each their money.

As far as I recall the certs went to the DSW in Beresford Place just facing Busaras.
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          i think he may have been in our house......have you got a photo

Joe, Rashers, this is my dad, Don Nugent. sorry it's a bit blurry.
          Thanks Rashers for that info on Beresford Place, he used to cycle to work every day,
          later on he was given a car...
          Last edited by Margaret N; 18-10-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Joe, Rashers, this is my dad, Don Nugent. sorry it's a bit blurry.

that is the man i think...the features are certainly right...i was going to ask you..did he look like that old labour politcian...gerald kauffman....same features in my mind

Comment

that is the man i think...the features are certainly right...i was going to ask you..did he look like that old labour politcian...gerald kauffman....same features in my mind
              Bluddy hell Joe........do you really think he is the same man... naa not gerald Kauffman, but as rashers say's allways in a good mood.....it's where I get it from,,,,,

Comment

Bluddy hell Joe........do you really think he is the same man... naa not gerald Kauffman, but as rashers say's allways in a good mood.....it's where I get it from,,,,,
                i certainly think so.....yes a fine gentleman as i remember...i thought he worked somewhere around lord edward street...but i was only a boy at the time...and he has had a cup of tea in ours

Comment

i certainly think so.....yes a fine gentleman as i remember...i thought he worked somewhere around lord edward street...but i was only a boy at the time...and he has had a cup of tea in ours
                  Joe I could kiss you, infact I will the next time we meet, (with permission from Kath) he was a great man and dad,,Your ringing bells now mentioning Lord Edward Street....hmmmm

Comment

Joe I could kiss you, infact I will the next time we meet, (with permission from Kath) he was a great man and dad,,Your ringing bells now mentioning Lord Edward Street....hmmmm
                    i also think but may be wrong but he would go and find you if you were in the local pub....i have seen him in sinnots in bride street/ golden lane

Comment

i also think but may be wrong but he would go and find you if you were in the local pub....i have seen him in sinnots in bride street/ golden lane
                      Don't tell me he was drinking on the job.? would he not just drop the cheque in the letter box ?

Comment

Don't tell me he was drinking on the job.? would he not just drop the cheque in the letter box ?
                        i do believe it had to handed to the person personally.....probably be a good idea in dublin at that time lol....i think he would be checking up to see you were sick anyway lol

Comment

i do believe it had to handed to the person personally.....probably be a good idea in dublin at that time lol....i think he would be checking up to see you were sick anyway lol

i may be mixing this up......but something is telling me that his bike had a thing on the back....maybe for pannier bags or a child seat

Comment

You may be right there, the poor man never had a penny in his pocket.

Comment

i may be mixing this up......but something is telling me that his bike had a thing on the back....maybe for pannier bags or a child seat
                              Yes there was a saddle bag on the back and a little saddle on the crossbar and a bar to put our feef on....it's looking more like the same man...I know he was not the only one who did that job.

Comment

Yes there was a saddle bag on the back and a little saddle on the crossbar and a bar to put our feef on....it's looking more like the same man...I know he was not the only one who did that job.

my dad was a invalid as such...and my uncle next door was also paid by him, my uncle would be in our house quite often....well very often lol....every day if i remember....but i slept in his flat...no room in ours..............me a british army squaddie, sleeping at the bottom of my uncles bed...and him a staunch ira man lol

Comment

Working...
                                X