HELL and MONTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELL and MONTO

Saw a brilliant new book in Easons on two of the most notorious areas of Dublin - MONTO and HELL. I had heard of MONTO and I am enjoying the update on the area but I had never even heard of HELL but this book pinpoints exactly where it is and gives its fascinating history. I thought Monto was bad, but HELL was even worse!!

The book is called TO HELL OR MONTO by a chap who wrote the books on The Liberties, Rathfarnham, Glasnevin and other historical areas of Dublin.
    Last edited by muiris; 16-04-2015, 09:52 PM.

Originally posted by muiris View Post
    Saw a brilliant new book in Easons on two of the most notorious areas of Dublin - MONTO and HELL. I had heard of MONTO and I am enjoying the update on the area but I had never even heard of HELL but this book pinpoints exactly where it is and gives its fascinating history. I thought Monto was bad, but HELL was even worse!!

The book is called TO HELL OR MONTO by a chap who wrote the books on The Liberties, Rathfarnham, Glasnevin and other historical areas of Dublin.
    Hello M and welcome....thanks for the info on the book....I'll look it up.
    Rabbi Burns once wrote of Dublin's Hell;
    “But this that I am gaun to tell,
    Which lately on a night befell,
    Is just as true as the deil’s in hell,
    Or Dublin city.”

Dublin's other Hell was The Four Corners of Hell....have ye ever heard of them ?.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Where exactly was Hell? I remember when I was a kid someone told me that Hendrick St [Dublin7] was at one time known as Little Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
        Where exactly was Hell? I remember when I was a kid someone told me that Hendrick St [Dublin 7] was at one time known as Little Hell.
        The iron gate of the passage through which the judges entered the old Four Courts of Dublin, stood about ten yards from the present west corner of Fishamble street, in Skinner’s-row, now called Christ Church-place. The widening of the upper part of the west side of Fishamble-street and the adjacent alterations, totally obliterated this passage, which was known as “Hell”. The following description of it appeared in a Dublin periodical twenty years ago:-
        http://www.ronanlyons.com/2008/09/12...as-we-know-it/

Comment

HELL and MONTO

Many thanks, Damntheweather. Hell is certainly an amazing area. I have heard also of the Four Corners of Hell - four pubs located at the junction of Kevin Street, Patrick Street, New Street and Dean Street.

But certainly not a patch on the notoriety of HELL as shown in this new book!

Comment

Many thanks, Damntheweather. Hell is certainly an amazing area. I have heard also of the Four Corners of Hell - four pubs located at the junction of Kevin Street, Patrick Street, New Street and Dean Street.

But certainly not a patch on the notoriety of HELL as shown in this new book!
            LOL... it was in the 30's 40's n 50's. Here... did ye know there were in fact Two... 4 Corners of Hell in Dublin...? There's one for ye.

Comment

We tend to look at the street frontages these days......The shops and the artisan/business dwellings etc.....

Look at the area between the streets, the courts, the lanes. the alleyways.......That is where most of the poor, labouring communities survived......The washerwomen, the offal eaters etc....

Look at he recent picture of Patrick street. imagine what went on behind those frontages.....
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                We tend to look at the street frontages these days......The shops and the artisan/business dwellings etc.....

Look at the area between the streets, the courts, the lanes. the alleyways.......That is where most of the poor, labouring communities survived......The washerwomen, the offal eaters etc....

Look at he recent picture of Patrick street. imagine what went on behind those frontages.....
                True... this is one of the most poignant scenes of the time.... a child plays surrounded by dereliction and decay. It's Railway Street 1913.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  True... this is one of the most poignant scenes of the time.... a child plays surrounded by dereliction and decay. It's Railway Street 1913.
                  Dereliction and decay.......Was the lifeblood of a city in those days....

You did not get migration from the countryside/abroad into the rich parts of a city.......

More coming from below, pushes those already there upwards.....

Dreaming that everything should have been ''perfect''.....is what it says....just a dream...
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Hello everyone I haven't being posting for a while but look in now and again. It seems a few of us here have got a mention in the buke because of our posting of some old photos that where used great to see but I cannot claim to own any of them. Maurice Curtis obviously looks in here so thanks for the mention. I have not read the book but flicked through the pages but will put in on my Christmas list. Only 8 months away Haha

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                      Hello everyone I haven't being posting for a while but look in now and again. It seems a few of us here have got a mention in the buke because of our posting of some old photos that where used great to see but I cannot claim to own any of them. Maurice Curtis obviously looks in here so thanks for the mention. I have not read the book but flicked through the pages but will put in on my Christmas list. Only 8 months away Haha
                      Way hey JG,, good te se ya postin again,,,hope yer well....good lad Maurice C.... always credit where credits due.... he's a grand writer. More of you and yer photography wouldn't go amiss......

Comment

good man dtw great to see your helping to keep the ship afloat monto or hell looks like a good read

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                          good man dtw great to see your helping to keep the ship afloat monto or hell looks like a good read
                          indeedy....have ordered my copy t'day....still here M8, keepin the home fires burnin.

Comment

Hell or monto

You are certainly in for a treat, JJ, as To Hell or Monto has to be the best and most interesting book on Dublin in recent years! And it's about time HELL was put back on the map of Dublin. In fact, the powers that be in Dublin, should put both HELL and MONTO back on the map as they were such important and historic areas of the city.

Comment

You are certainly in for a treat, JJ, as To Hell or Monto has to be the best and most interesting book on Dublin in recent years! And it's about time HELL was put back on the map of Dublin. In fact, the powers that be in Dublin, should put both HELL and MONTO back on the map as they were such important and historic areas of the city.
                              Might be askin a bit too much....mind you the cobbles are still there.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X