The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of Crumlin

My Grandparents lived in Crumlin long before it became an estate. My Grandfathers family looked after the old Crumlin Graveyard, There were quite a few brothers and sisters.

He Told me about his Grandfather Daniel Clifford being a leader in the Tallaght uprising and he had lots of tales about Crumlin,

He said it was where horse racing in Dublin started

He had a cottage on Kildare road but he eventually had a small farm on Rutland Avenue, My Mother and her sister and brothers all lived there, although they were born in Folkstone in England as my Grandfather became a cook in the army,

It was because of this small farm my grandfather and Grandmother got their lovely parlour house in Crumlin and their daughter also was housed on Downpatrick Road.

Years later my mam and dad moved on to Downpatrick Road. I know when Grandfather was baptised he had to go to Rathfarmham church as it was the nearest.

I wish I had listened more carefully to his magical tales of murders and skullduggery in Crumlin before it became an estate. But I know lots of you historians will fill in a few gaps and I will grill my aunt for any juicy details.

He explained why some Crumlin places had got their name and to a child it was fascinating.

In my young days my uncle had a car a rarity then he would take my sister and myself out for a drive on Sunday with his fiancee,

We would wait for hours outside pubs as he handed us out crisps with little bags of salt and some cordial orange. He was quite merry driving home most likey pissed but no drink laws then so he was fine.

My mam would say wasn't it great we got to go for a bit of fresh air lol!

My Grandmother lived in 193 Downpatrck Road, Her house jutted out into Clonard Road, Next door was Mr and Mrs Casey who was a builder, He had a brother a builder also on Derry Road.

My Grannys House for as long as I can remember was covered with Creeper

This was my two aunts weding in 193 Downpatrick Road in 1938 it was of course a double wedding
    Attached Files

Comment

I loved Nora Dobbins on the Old County Road, She called everyone Duckie, Mr Kenny always had a lovely smell of smoked bacon in his shop. If you asked for a quarter of butter for the visitors, he would take a piece from a slab and bang it together with two lumps of wood on the scale. After he had decided the scales was accurate he would wrap it up with greaseproof paper.

I liked Doyles the Newsagent Where I got my Dad his herald and I had a look at the comics while I was there. Loved Margie Bluebells, She had Parkinsons and found it hard to talk and we made fun of her bad kids that we were. Andy Dalton was supposed to be a bit gamey so we stayed away from him.

Mr Scanlon was great fun, when you went in for a pair of nylons To show you how fine they were he would run his hand up them, We always made him go through a couple of boxes before we made our decision.

Mosses Chipper was great you could sit in the three seats, or bring your chips home. They were usually devoured before you got to the corner.

There were other shops besides Mosses, so many feckin sweet shops A shop beside falloons Bicycle Shop made beautiful cakes the smell was gorgeous. They had cakes like small heads of cabbage they cost threepence The leaves were green icing,

My Uncle lived with us and he gave me money every saturday to buy one I looked forward to that.

If I had a penny left I went into Sean Ryans for a square of chocolate brooklax lol! It was the cheapest chocolate you could buy
      Last edited by joan mack; 17-08-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Aw what great stories Joanie, my granny and granda Laffan moved from Grenville street where they had raised their six children, they moved to Cashel road, next to mrs Barry who used to sell sweets outside the Christian brothers school, I believe they moved there in 1936, I was born in my granny's front bedroom, on a snowy day in January 1945. I loved going to poodle park for her messages, the smell of coffee from the Irel factory was lovely, when my two auntsjosie, and eileen married they lived in Stanaway avenue, and Cashel avenue, I loved going there, we lived in Finglas , my granny used to send me to the drs office on Old County rd, and sometime a to the pawn in Clanbrasil street! Happy days!

Comment

Hi Marie I knew the Barry's my Brother was a great friend of Finbar and still is.

We always stopped for sweets if we had money on our way to school. We might get a penny of my granny for the black babies and needless to say we usually bought broken crunchie or something,

Some of the kids went to the dump on Sundrive when they heard there was a dumping of sweets, I was always afraid to chance those.

Our Nun used to have a Picture of a ladder with steps of stairs and anytime you gave a penny for the black babies the baby would go up a step. Mental blackmail lol!

There was also a lane behind Kavanaghs shop on Clonard road and the smell of sweets was great. Sometimes if you hung around you got a few sugar barleys.

Dr Freeman was on the corner next to the Crumlin Road beside Sean Ryans , He would go mad with the women passing their medicine to each other, If a woman got a presription that worked she passed the medicine on to her friend he was very nice and often made up medicines himself whn he knew you couldn't afford a doctor

Comment

There was Molly Furlongs with lovely black and white pudding and Mr Sinnott who never used a till but just totted up your shopping in his head he was always correct in his totting.

If a woman was widowed it was very hard not much widow's allowance and she usually had to go to work at some menial task. But the women on the road watched her kids, The roads were like small villages children were watched by all the neighbours and your mother could go to town and someone would feed and look after you until she returned.

A lot of women then were heavy smokers including my mother she would sooner smoke then eat, So she died young.

She cared for nothing only us kids and if she had money it was us she spent it on.

My Dad worked in Baily Son and Gibsons and we prayed for years that God would keep him in his job

If a row broke out with a husband and wife, The men would go in and take the man out for a chat and the women would go in to console the wife telling her what a good man he was when he hadn't a drink and soon they would be laughing together again. Great Counselling services in Crumlin lol!
            Last edited by joan mack; 17-08-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Love love love it Joan..i dont know anything much to add about crumlins history but im really enjoying reading your memories.........thanks !!!!

Comment

Lol! Helen you may regret it Remember I am thirty eight so so much more history to get through, I do have Fionula Watchorns account about Crumlin History but maybe tomorrow lol! Its wine time

Comment

hahahaa enjoy.....gotta love that wine

Comment

Thank You Helen Now for some Crumlin Facts

THE PARISH OF CRUMLIN

The Parish contained in the seventeenth century the townlands of Commons, Crumlin and Petty Cannons.

It now contains the townlands of Commons, Crumlin, Green Hills, Larkfield Limekimfarm, Perrystown Roebuck, Stanaway (the Stoneway) Tonguefield. Whitehall and Walkinstown.

The objects of Antiquarian interest are the tower of the parish church and a house of the Queen Anne period in the Village,

THE VILLAGE OF CRUMLIN

The Parish of Crumlin of which the called by the name is the centre, has its boundaries on the west, the parishes od Drimnagh and Clondalkin and on the South and East the parishes of Tallaght and Rathfarmham. It Comprises lands which formed in the past ages one of the four royal manors near Dublin and is intersected by a road which formerly was the direct route to Tallaght and Blessington.

A Place within its limits known as the Greenhills many cists and sepulchres of prehistoric times have been discovered and one of these is now to be seen in the National Museum of Ireland where it is displayed in its original state with the urns and the bones found in it

But of the dwellings of the inhabitants of the royal manor no trace remains and it is probable that a castle of importance never stood upon the lands.

For the Lands within Crumlin Manor, like those in the other three royal manors, Saggart, Newcastle Lyons and Esker already noticed in this history do not appear amongst them to have numbered occupants and family of high position until the Seventeenth century and the earliest house now standing in Crumlin is the one which was built at the beginning of the Century,

Comment

Now that is kind of boring, But I will put up more facts later, Their far to long to put up now and really only will appeal to the historians among you,

But Today is sunny and warm and I am reminded of lazy summer days in Crumlin, Catching bees in the Brickworks with the smell of jam in Kavanaghs Jam factory,

I remember we played with chanies (broken delphn) it was our currency when we made our own shops with disgarded cigarette boxes and match boxes etc

WE often played Cathier hitting a Small stick with a bigger one and sending it into the air,

It was lucky nobody lost an eye . We Played As I went in to Woolworths and Red Rover . Every month we were paraded down to Confession, It was our only outing lol! Sometimes you got Cannon Hickey but he had his confession box covered and he was a bit deaf lol!
                      Last edited by joan mack; 17-08-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

More History

In an irish poem entitled the"Battled of Gabrha" Crumlin is mentioned as the residence in his old age of Fenian Hero Ossian, who has been referred to in connection with the valley of Glenasmole in Tallaghth parish, But Crumlin is a name which occurs frequently in the local momenclature of Ireland, and whether

the reference is to Crumlin near Dublin or elsewhere is doubtful.

The poem has been published in Transactions of the Ossianic Society, and the editor gives the meaning of Crumlin as "The Lake of Crom, A pagan deity who received thanks offerings of the husbandmen for the fruits of the earth, but the curved glen is now generally accepted as the meaning of the name.

The earliest reference to Crumlin after the Anglo-Norman Conquest shows that the lands held for a time after that eventy by a family which came from Harptree in Somersetshire, But before the close of King John's reign a royal manor. In the manor the system tenure was different from that on other royal manors as the tenants themselves took the place of a middleman and held the demesne lands in addition to their own farms
                        Last edited by joan mack; 17-08-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

According to Holinshed the Crumlin tenants were sn unwashed and turbulent crowd, or in his own words a lobbish and desperate clobberiousnesse and had to pay higher rent then the tenants on the other manors owing to their having murdered one of the Kings seneschals .

Towards the close of the Thirteenth Century Edward 1 decided to lease the manor of Crumlin to Henry De Compton an ecclesiastic who has already been noticed as lessee of the profits of the manor Courts in Saggart and Newcastle Lyons and who had rendered valuable service to the Crown in the Irish Chancery.

As in the other manors Compton met in Crumlin with considerable opposition and finally after more then one inquiry had been held the King thought it more prudent to leave the manor in the possession of His poor men of Crumlin, Amongst those foremost in the despute we find in addition to the officials, Richard the Provost and Philip the Clerk. Thomas of Crumlin, Thomas Le Reves, John Russell and John Le Monte who represented the Principal Crumlin families of that time

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                            ....The poem has been published in Transactions of the Ossianic Society, and the editor gives the meaning of Crumlin as "The Lake of Crom, A pagan deity who received thanks offerings of the husbandmen for the fruits of the earth, but the curved glen is now generally accepted as the meaning of the name...
                            Joan... what lake ??
                            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Hi Cogs I have't a clue I didn't write the book, But Crumlin seem to encompass a very wide area and the only Lake I can think of is the Poodle, But as I post out more enlightenment may come. It is only the thirteenth century so maybe later it got another name

Comment

Working...
                              X