Wha was yizzers best reads ever ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    I read a book a few weeks ago , The Speckled People . Its a true story told by its author Hugo Hamilton ,about his family living in Dunlaoghaire in the 1950s . The mother comes across as a lovely German woman but the Father is a Fascist Gaeligore from West Cork who beats his kids if they speak a word of English . Its very well written , mostly from the child's perspective .
    I have that book at least 5 years in the house and still haven't gotten round to reading it.....
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

back in the day i liked walter macken...leon uris was very like his storey lines, felt i`d read this before?
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
        I have that book at least 5 years in the house and still haven't gotten round to reading it.....
        Me too , I read a few pages when I bought it , didn't like it and stuck it in a drawer . I had nothing to read a few weeks ago and took it out , then read the whole thing again . As I said its well worth it , a great book .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
          Me too , I read a few pages when I bought it , didn't like it and stuck it in a drawer . I had nothing to read a few weeks ago and took it out , then read the whole thing again . As I said its well worth it , a great book .
          Must read it......but i seem to have a mental block about it
          The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City. Surviving a Hidden City

For all those read DUBLIN fans - New book out by that local historian Maurice (Mossy) Curtis on Dublin - a great read! Called 'DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City, Surviving a Hidden City.' Check in out on Amazon. Well worth it and a most enjoyable delve into some of the most famous areas of Dublin including Hell, the Liberties, Monto, Temple Bar etc. And you'll also read about how some of the old Dublin past-times such as 'playing with skulls' playing cards on coffins' etc., in the vaults of the local graveyards such as Mount Jerome and Glasnevin.

Michael Collins also features in this book - bombs and butter! And not forgetting Maud Gonne and the 'Battle of the Black Bloomers'! Also, all the great Dublin characters from Zozimus, the Monarch of the Liberties, Dublin's Invisible Prince, and Bang Bang etc.

Comment

Originally posted by muiris View Post
              For all those read DUBLIN fans - New book out by that local historian Maurice (Mossy) Curtis on Dublin - a great read! Called 'DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City, Surviving a Hidden City.' Check in out on Amazon. Well worth it and a most enjoyable delve into some of the most famous areas of Dublin including Hell, the Liberties, Monto, Temple Bar etc. And you'll also read about how some of the old Dublin past-times such as 'playing with skulls' playing cards on coffins' etc., in the vaults of the local graveyards such as Mount Jerome and Glasnevin.

Michael Collins also features in this book - bombs and butter! And not forgetting Maud Gonne and the 'Battle of the Black Bloomers'! Also, all the great Dublin characters from Zozimus, the Monarch of the Liberties, Dublin's Invisible Prince, and Bang Bang etc.
              Will get my copy ordered up tonight.....my kind of buke.
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Will get my copy ordered up tonight.....my kind of buke.
                Maurice a great historian and thoroughly enjoyed his Little Book of Rathmines....and even got a mensh in it....tnx Maurice....very generous words.
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                X