Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Maria did the bold thing with Aidan, tut tut. Now she's so guilt ridden she's broken up with her boyfriend. Its only a matter of time till she confides in someone and then the you know what will hit the fan. She should know better, you never confide in ANYBODY in soapland. Steve is on the horns of a dilemma. No sooner does he get Leeanne pregnant when Michelle decides she wants a babbie. The men on the street are keeping busy, even Aidans dad is getting in on the action, he's giving the factory cleaner an early Christmas present, if ye get my drift. Things gone a bit quiet with the Platts at the moment. Kylies funeral went off quiet enough except for Todd confronting David during the service, he could have waited untill the poor girl was laid to rest but hey thats not the way the cookie crumbles in Weatherfield.

Comment

• Pretty heavy stuff on Friday night soapies, the rape of David Platt. I though Jack P Shephard [David] gave a creditable performance, as did Ryan Clayton [Josh, the rapist] Is that the first male rape storyline? Think it might be. David Platt has been a part of Corrie for more than 20 years. I'd say he has a pain in the ass at this stage.

Comment

• Corrie has come in for a fair bit of criticism lately, with viewers saying that it's become too violent, that it's trying to be EastEnders and isn't the light-hearted, down-to-earth drama it used to be when it relied on humour and good characterisation. All valid points; it's certainly a very different programme to the Corrie of old. I don't have a problem with them tackling serious issues, what I don't like is the frequency with which these storylines are churned out, each one more "gritty" than the last, in a cynical attempt to up the viewing figures.......the result of this imo trivialises the issues they're supposed to be highlighting........overkill is the word that springs to mind. It will be interesting to see how the story develops.

Comment

• Originally posted by paudge View Post
          Pretty heavy stuff on Friday night soapies, the rape of David Platt. I though Jack P Shephard [David] gave a creditable performance, as did Ryan Clayton [Josh, the rapist] Is that the first male rape storyline? Think it might be. David Platt has been a part of Corrie for more than 20 years. I'd say he has a pain in the ass at this stage.
          I turned it off on Friday. To be honest I found it creepy

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            I turned it off on Friday. To be honest I found it creepy
            It was, the rapist guy is very sinister. However female rape has been tackled many times before in soap, going as far back as the 1980s -remember Kathy and Wilmott-Brown in EastEnders? Why do we find the portrayal of male rape less palatable than that of females?

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
              It was, the rapist guy is very sinister. However female rape has been tackled many times before in soap, going as far back as the 1980s -remember Kathy and Wilmott-Brown in EastEnders? Why do we find the portrayal of male rape less palatable than that of females?
              I didn't watch it in the 1980s but I remember a rape I think it was in the nineties. It's not that I find it less palatable Katie. I find the whole subject unpalatable. I know it is good to highlight certain things. But I think what made it creepy for me was the expression on the face of the rapist and the whole plan.
              As you point out, he is very sinister.

Comment

• I didn't mean you as an individual Vico, it was meant more as a general observation. Before the show was aired people were already saying it was a step too far and that they were uncomfortable with the storyline and it would put them off watching the programme. I was just wondering why we the viewers - and I include myself in that - seem to feel more uncomfortable with the idea of rape as a storyline when a man is the victim, when female rape storylines have been done many times over the years.

Comment

I didn't mean you as an individual Vico, it was meant more as a general observation. Before the show was aired people were already saying it was a step too far and that they were uncomfortable with the storyline and it would put them off watching the programme. I was just wondering why we the viewers - and I include myself in that - seem to feel more uncomfortable with the idea of rape as a storyline when a man is the victim, when female rape storylines have been done many times over the years.
                  I take your point Katie. I don't know, perhaps it's because we know of more instances of females being raped. But that is just a guess. Maybe some other Forum members will have a few ideas

Comment

• That Josh is really creepy, isn't he? Meanwhile, why has no-one noticed Eva's bump?

Comment

That Josh is really creepy, isn't he? Meanwhile, why has no-one noticed Eva's bump?
                      I was just wondering about that last night Katie. It is a bit odd that nobody at all spotted it. Wait and see I guess

Comment

Working...
                      X