No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse races took place at that time annually on the common of Crumlin, but became so intolerable to the inhabitants in 1789 that an attempt was made to stop them.

It was unsuccessful and although tents that had been erected for them, were pulled down under the direction of the Magistrate who had the assistance of a strong party of the army, The races continued for several days with great satisfaction to the racing fraternity.

In the following years the inhabitants made another effort to prevent races taking place on the ground that they were productive of idleness and disorder and calculated to disturb peace,

In a contemporary guide to Dublin, reference is made to the great traffic to Blessington and Baltinglass which then passed through Crumlin

Comment

I have never studied a contour map of the area.....But, I would think that there would have been an impressive view of Dublin Castle and City from the Crumlin area in those days......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Hard to know I would never dare to say I know that much about Crumlin

I wonder is Crumlin low land at the foot of the mountains I would think so, Where I live now in Donaghmede on the Northside we are supposed to be up as high as Nelsons pillar one was,

But Crumlin I am not sure, The Poodle runs under the castle so its quite possible.
        Last edited by joan mack; 30-08-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

It is stated that the village was no longer so fashionable as it had been. But it still enjoyed some measure of popularity and included amongst its residents Lady Frances Holt, a daughter of the first Earl of of Aldborough and the Honourable Joseph Lysaght a son of the first Lord Lisle.

During the Rebellion of 1798 the inhabitants suffered much loss and damage especially Mr Arthur Orde and Mr Thomas Jones, who then kept a boarding school in Crumlin and profiting by their experience whwn the rising under Robert Emmet took place in 1803.

They were foremost in raising a company of infantry which was recommended by Mr Arthur Orde,

Comment

Ecclesiastical History

The Parish Church of Crumlin is a building of the early part of the nineteenth century with the exception of the tower at the west end, which had an earlier origin.

According to inscriptions on tablets in the pier gates the exact date of the erection of present Church was 1817, While the wall which surrounds it, is stated to have been built in 1725 and repaired exactly one hundred years afterwards.

In the Tower there is a handsome doorway, and above it there is a skull carved in the stonework with a tablet in which a text is inscribed.

Comment

The Tower is two storeys in height and in one of the small rooms there are some fragments of a tombstone which is said to have been erected to the memory of a waiting woman of Queen Anne.

The Church which is dedicated to St. Mary, occupies the site of one which stood in Crumlin in the twelfth century and bore a similar dedication.

The advowson was for a time in the possession of the Harptree Family, and the church was conferred by William FitzWilliam of Harptree on Robert his clerk, together with the tithe of all timber cut in a wood, which then stood at Crumlin and permission to appropriate sixteen acres near the Church

Comment

But before the close of the of the twelfth century, in 1193 the church of Crumlin was given by King John then Prince of Moreton to form a prebend in the collegiate Church of St Patrck.

This Prebend was given by the Prince to William Rydal but subsequent presentations were vested in the Archbishop of Dublin

Comment

At the close of the century the church was valued at ten pound and amongst its chaplains we find in 1390, John Stakeboll and in 1449 John Holiwod.

In the latter part of the Fifteenth century Joan Dryer, who already has been referred to, bequeathed money, for the support of three lights, as well as gilding the chalice, In the Church of S. Mary the Virgin of Crumlin and Joan Stephen, the widow of John Mastocke, directed her body to be brought to Holy Burial Cemetery of the Parish of Crumlin

At the time of the dissolution of St. Patrick's Cathedral's possessions at Crumlin were divided between the Economy Fund, The minor Canons and the Vicar's Choral and the Church was probably served as in later times by some members of the Cathedral establishment

Comment

During the Irish raid on Crumlin in 1594 the fabric of the church suffered great damage by fire, It is interesting to notice that the roof was of lead which is said to have been carried off by the Insurgents for the purpose of making bullets

The Church had not been rebuilt in 1615, when the cure was returned as being in charge of the Rev. William Cogan, But it was stated to be in good repair in 1630 when the cure was served by Rev. John Hughes.

The Parishioners then for the most part recusants and the Rev, John Heath, who held the cure at the time of the rebellion was resident in Dublin

Comment

At the beginning of the eighteenth century Archbishop King stated that Crumlin had been neglected from the time of the reformation,

but under his vigorous rule a change soon began in 1707 the REv. Peter Fennell was in charge, and he was succeeded in 1708 by the Rev. Thomas Featherston, in 1719 by the Rev John Bouhereau, with the Rev, Nicholas Tones as a curate,

In 1723 by the Rev. Zachery Norton, Afterwards Vicar of Tallaght, and in 1726 by the Rev. Roger Ford who had for a time the REv, William Candler afterwards curate of Rathfarmham as assistant,

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                        The Tower is two storeys in height and in one of the small rooms there are some fragments of a tombstone which is said to have been erected to the memory of a waiting woman of Queen Anne.

The Church which is dedicated to St. Mary, occupies the site of one which stood in Crumlin in the twelfth century and bore a similar dedication.

The advowson was for a time in the possession of the Harptree Family, and the church was conferred by William FitzWilliam of Harptree on Robert his clerk, together with the tithe of all timber cut in a wood, which then stood at Crumlin and permission to appropriate sixteen acres near the Church
                        fabulous stuff Joan , i can't get enough of Crumlin. i love when somebodys

memory is jogged into remembering things from yonks ago. i remember after

the Star on saturday, having walked very quickly' past the spooky

church, the smell of apple tarts and other nice things in my Ma's kitchen..

Comment

Ah Kevin and a big cuddle from your mam before she got the fine comb and went through your curls. My mam was a divil for the fine comb, No flea had a chance with her,

I often wonder Kevin was it her way of cuddling us. She didn't want to be seen doing it, But holding us close to herself as she groomed us she seemed to enjoy and sometimes if she didn't use the fine comb you enjoyed it also.

I don't know how you passed that old church even now when its all done up its scary.

As a child my sister cousin and I went up to see my Grandmother's grave, As we went in the small gate and over to the left we saw an old man (a gravedigger) get out of a hole and we ran for our lives lol!

Comment

Some years after his appointment to Crumlin, Mr Ford became prebendary of Tasagart, and as we have seen held the living of Rathcoole as well as Crumlin.

He kept a school in Crumlin at which Edmund Malone was educated and so high was his reputation as a preacher that he was called by the House of Commons to preach before it.

Under the Roman Catholic Church the Parish of Crumlin has always been united to that of Rathfarmham excepting during a brief period from 1781 to 1800. When it was joined to Clondalkin .

According to a return presented to the Irish Parliament in 1731, there was then a Roman Catholic place of worship in Crumlin which had been rebuilt five years before and according to the census of 1766 there was then a clergyman of that church The Rev. Nicholas Gibbons, resident in the village

Comment

The Parish Church which proceeded the present one is described by Austin Cooper, who visited it in 1780 as a very plain building containing about a dozen seats.

The chancel was approached by two steps and the communion table was enclosed by a semi circular rail.

Under the latter lay the tomb of te Deane Family and a little outside it the tomb of the Purcell family.

At the foot of the steps on the right and side was the reading desk with the pulpit above it and on the other side stood a black marble font.

After the Death of the Rev,Roger Ford which occurred in 1756 the Rev. William Ford succeeded to the cure. and the succession of incombents since has been in 1785 the Rev Roger Ford, in 1831 the Rev James Elliot, and in 1867 The Rev. Humphrey Davy

Comment

Joan...this is a great thread.....Thank you..
                                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X