This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas to you too, Csalem.

Try to keep this thread running, I love it. I enjoyed looking at the old 42 buses. The 42B from Eden Quay used to leave me a minute from my old home before I got married 50 years ago. Before the B came into service the 42a used to have it's terminus at the corner of Harmonstown Rd (since partly renamed to Brookwood Rise) and Brookwood Road, and we had to walk from there the length of Harmonstown Rd to get home, preferring to use the train from Amiens St station to Harmonstown Halt, as it was called then. The train was also cheaper than the bus at that time. So you can see I'm no spring chicken... but they were happy days... and we knew all of the bus crews by their first names.

Have a great Christmas and may the most you hope for in 2016 be the least you get (you have to think about that one. )
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• As an addition to the Off The Beaten Track on routes 76 & 76A, I have put together a page with some photos of the 74, 74A and 210. The 74 and 74A started around the time The Square opened and only lasted for six months, serving communities around Tallaght. In more recent times the numbers were used for services to Stocking Lane from Brittain Quay, before becoming the 15B.
      The 210 served areas around Clondalkin and Neilstown.
      The page on the 74, 74A and 210 can be found here:

And the page on the 76 & 76A can be found here:

D 789 is seen at The Square while operating a 74A. Note the paper route number in the window. 16/02/1991
      OTBT: Routes 74, 74A & 210 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

• A terrific thread, thank you

Comment

• I got the 15 from Clongriffen I was going to the Eye laser Clinic in the Eye and Ear Hospital The Fifteen at one time would have left me to the Concert hall and so a short walk to the Eye and Ear.

I sat on the bus until we were near Rathmines and I just knew it was not going near the Concert hall.

A conversation with the Bus Driver he told me the Feckin Luas had the whole bus routes completely fecked and I would have to walk back and take a turn at the canal and walk towards Leeson Street, I walked for what seemed ages and then I did the sensible thing I jumped into a taxi.

Comment

• UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• The WVs are a great bus and will be sad when they are gone.

Thirty years ago today in 1987, Irish Rail, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann came into being. The three companies replaced CIE as the main transport operators in Ireland, although they were subsidiaries of CIE. The three companies created their own identities by modifying the current CIE liveries. Dublin Bus added an orange stripe to the two-tone green livery that had initially appeared on the KD class and rolled it out onto the rest of the fleet. This livery lasted until the AV arrived in 2000. D 442 is seen on Burgh Quay four months after Dublin Bus created in the new livery but without the new company logo. This took a bit longer to appear as a number of options were considered. The bus is on route 62. 10/06/1987

Throwback Thursday (57) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

• DoDublin - seen this on the Dublin bus site. I had noticed that the Hop On - Hop off buses had changed their livery and now I know why.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• After an unintended 18 month break, I am happy to report Off The Beaten Track is back. I thought the best way to mark this return is to cover a new bus route that started within that 18 month period. So I present to you Airlink route 757, which started in June 2016:

OTBT: Route 757 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

An overview of the route can be found here:

Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Csalem View Post
                    After an unintended 18 month break, I am happy to report Off The Beaten Track is back. I thought the best way to mark this return is to cover a new bus route that started within that 18 month period. So I present to you Airlink route 757, which started in June 2016:Enjoy!
                    Well welcome back Csal... hope yer in the pink again...and able te get out and about to record yer very special history of Dublin.
                    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Pride in our employees

Dublin Bus has unveiled a colourful new addition to its fleet. To celebrate Dublin LGBTQ Pride 2017 Dublin Bus had a bus specially wrapped in the Pride flag. The bus is part of an overall campaign to ‘Get on board with Pride’ and celebrate Pride week and employee diversity in Dublin Bus. The bus will feature in the annual Dublin LGBTQ Pride parade, which takes place on Saturday 24 June and is Ireland’s second largest annual parade.

The bus was unveiled at a special photoshoot in Phibsboro depot and was attended by Dublin Bus Chief Executive, Ray Coyne, Employee Development and Equality Executive Vivienne Kavanagh, representatives from Dublin LGBTQ Pride and employees from the LGBTQ community.

Speaking at the shoot, Dublin Bus Chief Executive, Ray Coyne outlined the company’s commitment to celebrating diversity and LGBTQ inclusion, "We are delighted to support another year of Dublin Pride. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion stems from our Equality and Diversity strategy that was first introduced in 2003. We are a diverse workforce serving a diverse community."

Dublin Bus staff

Every year Dublin Bus supports Pride by donating an Open Top DoDublin bus to the parade, advertising spaces on bus and through its social media channels. This year employees from the LGBTQ community had the idea to do something special to support the festival. Along with getting the bus wrapped, work was undertaken to design a new template for all future LGBTQ communications which combines the colours of the Pride flag with a route transport map.

Dublin Bus has also commissioned 15 specially designed t-sides which will be displayed on buses throughout the Dublin Bus network. In addition to this, Dublin Bus donated 500 poster spaces to Dublin LGBTQ Pride to promote the festival and continues its annual donation of an Open Top DoDublin bus and social media support. A marketing campaign based on Dublin Pride week will also go live this week highlighting the best routes for customers to travel to this year's parade.

To see the photos of the livery see here
                      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• AX 523 in its Pride wrap:
                        Born This Way... by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Csalem View Post
                          AX 523 in its Pride wrap:
                          Born This Way... by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
                          Love it!!! Was on the lookout for these buses this week but haven'T come across one
                          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• Came across this site last night. Great history behind some of our bus routes

UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X