No announcement yet.

star cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rosebud. My auntie lived in Derry Drive. Used to have to go there after school to be minded. Mrs Doyle. Can't remember the number though..........Forgot about the side-door freebees in the Star!. Jes I had many of them , a mate's brother used to be an usher and he'd open the door's for us. Mind you, there'd be ruction's when the other's noticed what was going on. Do you remember as you got older you'd start to move up the front?. Used to think we were the big cheese!!!
    Last edited by giddy; 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by giddy View Post
      Hi Rosebud. My auntie lived in Derry Drive. Used to have to go there after school to be minded. Mrs Doyle. Can't remember the number though..........Forgot about the side-door freebees in the Star!. Jes I had many of them , a mate's brother used to be an usher and he'd open the door's for us. Mind you, there'd be ruction's when the other's noticed what was going on. Do you remember as you got older you'd start to move up the front?. Used to think we were the big cheese!!!
      Mrs Doyle? before my time I think but I think I remember someone else saying doyles where number 20 Rosebud was 22. I think Frank was a member of.ie for a while
      Last edited by jeangenie; 02-03-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hi giddy.
        I can't remember the boss mans name at the Star but I sure remember the side doors and many's a free film I watched. We would sit on the back wall of an adjacent house and wait for someone to open the door. We would be in like a shot and manys a free choc bar I would have from the girls goody tray. One of the kids would distract her and I would whip something off the tray. I don't think they made much money when the kids were in.
        Last edited by jembo; 15-03-2012, 10:54 PM.
        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

hi giddy.

think like j.g said they lived in number 20.will be talking to my sister at home to night or tomorrow will ask her,if that is the case ,am sure we would have met as kids,i was very quiet as a kid (not),i was home last year for a holiday,had a walk around the drive,lots of great memories,do you remember anyone else from the drive.

Comment

star

Hi Rosebud
            Sorry all for not been logged in, laptop problem's.
            Can't remember many from the Drive. My auntie's name was Doyle,as I've mentioned, lived right facing you across the park as you turned into the Drive,daughter's name was Kathleen who married a chap by the name of Peter Knocktor who died quite youg. .Kathleen died 'bout 4/5 year's back , sadly missed. I remember a few from Derry Rd. Willie 'Whirla' O'Reilly, Ronnie Ireland, Peter Farrell, who played football for 'Bohs' I think, or was that his brother?. Can you remember the name of the family who used to sell sweet's and stuff, they lived about halfway up Derry Park?.

ps any of you recall the boxing club on St. Agnes's Rd? About 100 yard's up from the church. Think it was called John Bosco Club?
            Last edited by giddy; 14-03-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Rosebud
              Can't remember many from the Drive. My auntie's name was Doyle,as I've mentioned, lived right facing you across the park as you turned into the Drive,daughter's name was Kathleen who married a chap by the name of Peter Knocktor who died quite youg. .Kathleen died 'bout 4/5 year's back , sadly missed. I remember a few from Derry Rd. Willie 'Whirla' O'Reilly, Ronnie Ireland, Peter Farrell, who played football for 'Bohs' I think, or was that his brother?. Can you remember the name of the family who used to sell sweet's and stuff, they lived about halfway up Derry Park?.

ps any of you recall the boxing club on St. Agnes's Rd? About 100 yard's up from the church. Think it was called John Bosco Club?
              john bosco is over in drimnagh the Bru is on agnes's rd

Comment

Hi Rosebud

hi giddy,wecome back, think there name was clarke,sold cigs as well, my mother was allways sending me to there house for 5 woodbindes (cigs).

i done a lot of boxing at that club you are talking about,cant think of what it was called at the time, a guy called seg miur or morre train us.where did you say you live now giddy.

Comment

Hi Rosebud
                  I've been living on the Isle of Man for the past 43 years. Only came over to see me mate, was offered a job and thought what the heck. Found it very strange the first winter's when everywhere closed after the Summer season. Stuck it out by playing footy for one of the local team's and sort of got into the swing of thing's. Glad I did, met my wife through her Irish connection's and now got 2 grown up daughter's. I don't get home enough though, something alway's seem to crop up but we never miss wedding's or funeral's, same as most I suppose. Nearly all of my family still live in and around Dublin. Mostly around Walkinstown and Clondalkin. Do's your family still live in the Dublin area?.

As regard's to the boxing club, do you remember the size of the glove's they had?. I think i was about ten or twlve when I first put them on and the tip's of them would be dragging on the floor!!!. Felt like I was trying to lift a ton weight. They had to tie the cuff's around my wrist's with string as well the lace's!. Great fun though. I got to fight at the National Stadium down in the South Circular road, I was petrified, but I won my fight and when I got home I got a clout round the ear because I had'nt told anyone about it!!. Great day's, some great memories, some sore lip's and ear's.
                  ps. You're right about the Clark's on Derry Ave. Just jogged my memory. Like you , I used to be sent up for some woody's for my brother. Could you imagine selling ciggie's from your house these day's?. That woud be something, " come and get your coffin nail's here, only a tanner for ten"!!! They'd burn you out!!!. God when you look back it's a wonder any of us ever survived to tell the story. "welcome to tell school of hard knock's"
                  Last edited by giddy; 20-03-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Rosebud
                    I've been living on the Isle of Man for the past 43 years. Only came over to see me mate, was offered a job and thought what the heck. Found it very strange the first winter's when everywhere closed after the Summer season. Stuck it out by playing footy for one of the local team's and sort of got into the swing of thing's. Glad I did, met my wife through her Irish connection's and now got 2 grown up daughter's. I don't get home enough though, something alway's seem to crop up but we never miss wedding's or funeral's, same as most I suppose. Nearly all of my family still live in and around Dublin. Mostly around Walkinstown and Clondalkin. Do's your family still live in the Dublin area?.

As regard's to the boxing club, do you remember the size of the glove's they had?. I think i was about ten or twlve when I first put them on and the tip's of them would be dragging on the floor!!!. Felt like I was trying to lift a ton weight. They had to tie the cuff's around my wrist's with string as well the lace's!. Great fun though. I got to fight at the National Stadium down in the South Circular road, I was petrified, but I won my fight and when I got home I got a clout round the ear because I had'nt told anyone about it!!. Great day's, some great memories, some sore lip's and ear's.
                    ps. You're right about the Clark's on Derry Ave. Just jogged my memory. Like you , I used to be sent up for some woody's for my brother. Could you imagine selling ciggie's from your house these day's?. That woud be something, " come and get your coffin nail's here, only a tanner for ten"!!! They'd burn you out!!!. God when you look back it's a wonder any of us ever survived to tell the story. "welcome to tell school of hard knock's"
                    my parents use to go to the isle of man a lot ,my mother love it,i came to australia end of 72 with a pal of mine from derry drive tony keogh,i get home about every four years,was there last year,will be home again 12 months in july for about six weeks.

all my family still live in ireland have a sister down in trim another in kilmuckridge(wexford.)my brothers still live in tallaght.

i use to love the boxing club,but use to hate drinking that fecking coco at the end of the night lol.

you are right about surviving,jaysus if you could not fight god help you,but do you what it was great fun,20 a side football matchs on the field in derrydrive,cowboys and indinans in people front gardens, do you remember your man who use to come about with the horse and cart selling ice creams,paddy ripler was his name,great days.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I dont remember too much about the school but I still remember how to count in gaelic, and a few phrases................. I was dragged off to England when I was about 10 years of age, we have lived in Nottingham ever since, but like I said I still have family living on Rafters, and also other parts of Dublin, still miss the aul place, the older I get the more homesick I become, one day if I come into any money I would move back like a shot...................................... you can take the boy out of Dublin, but you can never take Dublin out of the boy.
                      Giddy:With the situation the way it is in dear old Ireland now,be careful what you wish for,you just might get it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
                        I dont remember too much about the school but I still remember how to count in gaelic, and a few phrases................. I was dragged off to England when I was about 10 years of age, we have lived in Nottingham ever since, but like I said I still have family living on Rafters, and also other parts of Dublin, still miss the aul place, the older I get the more homesick I become, one day if I come into any money I would move back like a shot...................................... you can take the boy out of Dublin, but you can never take Dublin out of the boy.

the Ireland you hanker for is long gone !! but it lives in your head and is a grand place where only the good bits survive ! as it does in my head as well .

Comment

Originally posted by spudseamus View Post
                          Originally Posted by Paddy View Post

the Ireland you hanker for is long gone !! but it lives in your head and is a grand place where only the good bits survive ! as it does in my head as well .

yes of course it has, Im not stupid, I last visited Dublin just over 3 years ago, I had a great time meeting some of the forum members........... but before that I bused into the city (an lar) every day and walked all over the place of my birth, let me tell you I was not disappointed with the aul place, it still held lots of memories for me.............. one day I was having a meal and a cuppa in a cafe across the road from the GPO, and I imagined my ancestors walking past the pillars of the GPO, and wondered how many times my Grand dad etc walked by there also............. I visited my birthplace The Rotunda, and the place where I came when I came out of the hospital, Georges Place (The Pocket) I must have walked miles and miles, I talked to some of the old Dubs from The Liberties, and I must say there are no other people like them in the world..................... Am I a romantic? oh course I am, Im a Dubliner, and I still love the place, and always will......................
                          https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            [/COLOR]
                            yes of course it has, Im not stupid, I last visited Dublin just over 3 years ago, I had a great time meeting some of the forum members........... but before that I bused into the city (an lar) every day and walked all over the place of my birth, let me tell you I was not disappointed with the aul place, it still held lots of memories for me.............. one day I was having a meal and a cuppa in a cafe across the road from the GPO, and I imagined my ancestors walking past the pillars of the GPO, and wondered how many times my Grand dad etc walked by there also............. I visited my birthplace The Rotunda, and the place where I came when I came out of the hospital, Georges Place (The Pocket) I must have walked miles and miles, I talked to some of the old Dubs from The Liberties, and I must say there are no other people like them in the world..................... Am I a romantic? oh course I am, Im a Dubliner, and I still love the place, and always will......................

I wasent implying you were anything of the sort Paddy !! in fact I was identifying with what you were saying but as you said surly we are both romantics at heart !

Dublin

Why do I love Dublin
                            I'ts very hard to say
                            Is it the people or the places
                            Or is it just the Dublin way

I'ts hard to put the words on here
                            The thoughts are in my head
                            But when I come to say the words
                            Something else comes out instead

I love the wit ,the humour
                            The odd sarcastic rhyme
                            The way they give a word to things
                            And nicknames all the time

The people are the soul of it
                            There's one in every crowd
                            Their voices maybe lilting
                            But basically so proud

Why do I love Dublin?
                            Go on ,ask me if you dare
                            I'll tell you friend ,I'll tell you clear
                            'Cause I was born right there.

written by Paddy Doyle

Comment

Originally posted by spudseamus View Post
                              I wasent implying you were anything of the sort Paddy !! in fact I was identifying with what you were saying but as you said surly we are both romantics at heart !

Dublin

Why do I love Dublin
                              I'ts very hard to say
                              Is it the people or the places
                              Or is it just the Dublin way

I'ts hard to put the words on here
                              The thoughts are in my head
                              But when I come to say the words
                              Something else comes out instead

I love the wit ,the humour
                              The odd sarcastic rhyme
                              The way they give a word to things
                              And nicknames all the time

The people are the soul of it
                              There's one in every crowd
                              Their voices maybe lilting
                              But basically so proud

Why do I love Dublin?
                              Go on ,ask me if you dare
                              I'll tell you friend ,I'll tell you clear
                              'Cause I was born right there.

written by Paddy Doyle
                              hey thats me poem,............ do I get publishing rights? ha ha
                              https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

I did the credit !!

Comment

Working...
                                X