Family Tree Help Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    my dad was a invalid as such...and my uncle next door was also paid by him, my uncle would be in our house quite often....well very often lol....every day if i remember....but i slept in his flat...no room in ours..............me a british army squaddie, sleeping at the bottom of my uncles bed...and him a staunch ira man lol
    Them were the day's Joe, we all did what we had to do......when my mum and dad married there was murder nearly ( on the dance floor ) as they were two opposing political parties. so great fun...
    You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by MommyDearest View Post
      Them were the day's Joe, we all did what we had to do......when my mum and dad married there was murder nearly ( on the dance floor ) as they were two opposing political parties. so great fun...

life is so interesting lol
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

life is so interesting lol
        You have to laugh ....
        You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

I spent over three years searching for the death and burial records of my G. Grandmother. I found many death records with the same name but discarded them as they were all registered in South Dublin while my G.G. had always lived on the North side. When I did eventually find her grave I also discovered she had died in Dublin’s old “Union” and her death was registered on the South side! I had never taken that into consideration! Strangely, when I did find her grave it was so close to the railings in Glassinevin Cemetery I could have almost reached out and touched it as I passed!

Comment

I think the one definite in tracing ancestors is to keep a very open mind!

Comment

For those with American/Irish interest:

For those with American/Irish interest:

The 1940 U.S. census records will be released by the U.S. National Archives
              and Records Administration on April 2, 2012. In less than seven months the
              more than 3.8 million original document images containing 130 million-plus
              records will be available to everyone free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                I think the one definite in tracing ancestors is to keep a very open mind!
                I think this is my great grandfather and grandmother but the maiden name is wrong. She is on the 1911 census as Dooley or Doolin but it is Dowling here. The reason I think its the great granny is down as been born in Carlow on the 1911 census and it's Carlow on the register for this entry as well. It really is a case of keep an open mind.Also the name Hagerty became known as Hegerty by my family.

Area - DUBLIN (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. NICHOLAS

Marriage of MICHAEL HAGERTY of 26 ASH STREET and ELLEN DOWLING of 48 PATRICK ST on 22 May 1873

Back to search results
                New search
                Name
                Husband Wife
                Name MICHAEL HAGERTY ELLEN DOWLING
                Address 26 ASH STREET 48 PATRICK ST
                Occupation N/R N/R
                Father MICHAEL HAGERTY WILLIAM DOWLING
                Mother MARY MARY

Comment

Doolin, Doolan, Dowling, O Dualaing, etc. could all be the same name in Irish records and are accepted as the same name in old records where all else matches.

We have this name in the 1800s around Kikenny and it varies on every record; most old records relied on a clerk to spell the name as so many people were unable to read and write; where names had a distinct spelling there was no problem but otherwise all sorts of versions turn up.

Accents also played a role; new clergy in particular from a different part of the country mishearing accents mis-spelt names.

Comment

My great grandmother's maiden name was Freehill (sometime shown as Frehill, Friel, Freehil...) My Aunt went to Roscommon to see what she could find on the family. Everyone she encountered said "that's not an Irish name." LOL Ok, well she was still Irish, from Roscommon!

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                      My great grandmother's maiden name was Freehill (sometime shown as Frehill, Friel, Freehil...) My Aunt went to Roscommon to see what she could find on the family. Everyone she encountered said "that's not an Irish name." LOL Ok, well she was still Irish, from Roscommon!
                      Hello Eileen, if you check the 1901 census returns for Roscommon you will find 10 FREEHILL'S. and 1 Frehil...

if you check the 1911 census returns for Roscommon you will find 14 FREEHILL'S.

There are none listed with the spellings Frehill, Friel, or Freehil.

Here is the Census web site..... http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Comment

Thank you. I actually have all that information. Someone on the forum was kind enough to help me figure out I had all this information - had I bothered to look. I really wish Ireland would release earlier info online. Does anyone know if there are plans to release 1921? That would be VERY helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                          Thank you. I actually have all that information. Someone on the forum was kind enough to help me figure out I had all this information - had I bothered to look. I really wish Ireland would release earlier info online. Does anyone know if there are plans to release 1921? That would be VERY helpful!
                          Hi Eileen,

I don't think there was another census taken after 1911 until 1926 because of the 'troubles' at the time, so we shall have to wait a bit longer I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Slaintearis View Post
                            Hi Eileen,

I don't think there was another census taken after 1911 until 1926 because of the 'troubles' at the time, so we shall have to wait a bit longer I'm afraid.

i heard somewhere, because of the situation at that time...they were considering releasing the 1926 census early
                            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

i heard somewhere, because of the situation at that time...they were considering releasing the 1926 census early
                              Heard that to, sooner the better, would be a huge assist to anyone researching family tree.

Comment

Sign the petition to open the 1926 census

SIGN THE PETITION TO OPEN THE 1926 CENSUS

The "Council of Irish Genealogical Organisations" CIGO, is asking people to sign a petition to get the 1926 census released early.

If you look at their web site, which can be found at this web address http://www.cigo.ie/campaigns_1926.html you can read more about the petition.

I have just had another look at their petition.... I tried to sign the petition and It came back as Invalid owing to an Invalid Zip code. Zip Codes are another name for the Post Code..
                                I would suggest you use one of the post codes for Dublin. EG:- Dublin 24 or Dublin 6w or Dublin 15 or Dublin 18.
                                Last edited by mickjoe; 22-01-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X