This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
    I know it goes through Crumlin Harold’s Cross and near Christchurch I am sure others will know more As kids we swam in the Poddle at the Kimmage road we made a dam so as the water was deep enough
    Wiki good description....
    The Back of the Pipes was the name of a lane-way in Dublin 8, Ireland, located between Dolphin's Barn and James's walk. it ran parallel to the back gardens of the houses on Rubens Street from the Dolphins Barn end across from the Leinster Cinema, down the back of Fatima Mansions, on past the back gardens of the houses between Mallin Ave and Lourdes Road, past the stone sofa and finally coming out at James's walk across from the old Iron foot Bridge which crossed the grand canal (now filled in) for access to Basin Lane (Basin Street) and the main grand canal harbour area, It took its name from an important part of the Dublin water supply originally erected in 1245.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• very old pic, caption ses mill st ,tracing mill pond and river poddle…..looks in city?
      Attached Files
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Wouldn’t have clue, but my Da reckoned there was a branch of it going under our house in Bannaville, when I was a Chisler, I can remember our downstairs was badly flooded and the Da was pumping the water out with a hand operated pump
        I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• My Sister Betty , 1957 when she was 17 working as an Accountant for Daniel Murphy’s in Mary’s Abbey, still going, and living in Greenhills, same house for about 60 years
          Attached Files
          I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
            very old pic, caption ses mill st ,tracing mill pond and river poddle…..looks in city?
            had it on while you were away Cos... I put it up as Mill St...but corrected it subsequently. By St Pat's Cathedral 1889.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
              My Sister Betty , 1957 when she was 17 working as an Accountant for Daniel Murphy’s in Mary’s Abbey, still going, and living in Greenhills, same house for about 60 years
              Great pic to have T.

Comment

• [IMG]bridge 2[IMG]
                Attached Files
                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

[IMG]bridge 2[IMG]
                  My goodness.....can't believe people lived like that in the 50's
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

[IMG]bridge 2[IMG]
                    Those are the houses in the Hollow, they were very nice once and if you lived there you were doing ok. Dr Phelan lived there when I was a child.

Re the Poddle just when I read you post DT I remembered my mother telling me that the Poddle ran under the stone sofa. We used to go through the back of the pipes regularly to shop in Thomas Street. I don't suppose there are any pickies around of the stone sofa.

Cardinal Cullen who was grandmother's grand uncle had a house near the stone sofa at one time, it was before he became a cardinal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                      Those are the houses in the Hollow, they were very nice once and if you lived there you were doing ok. Dr Phelan lived there when I was a child.

Re the Poddle just when I read you post DT I remembered my mother telling me that the Poddle ran under the stone sofa. We used to go through the back of the pipes regularly to shop in Thomas Street. I don't suppose there are any pickies around of the stone sofa.

Cardinal Cullen who was grandmother's grand uncle had a house near the stone sofa at one time, it was before he became a cardinal.
                      Only these ones.
                      The main water supply for the city of Dublin prior to the arrival of the Hiberno-Normans in the twelfth century was the river Poddle. The Liffey was tidal up to Islandbridge and thus undrinkable. Due to increased growth and development after their arrival it became imperative for the authorities to provide a greatly increased water supply. The monks of the Abbey of St. Thomas in 1242 diverted part of the River Dodder via a man-made channel to the River Poddle at Balrothery near Firhouse. This canal passed through Templeogue and flowed into the River Tymon, which flowed into the Poddle. The flow was separated at Mount Argus, near Mount Jerome Cemetery, by a construction known as the Tongue, one third of the flow being allocated to the city cistern. This part of the flow left the Poddle proper and proceeded to St. James Terrace, Dolphin's Barn. It advanced on to James' Walk on the summit of an elevated rampart of earth and stone which became known as the "Back of the Pipes" or the "Ridges", to a cistern near the present Waterworks Headquarters at Marrowbone Lane
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

[IMG]bridge 2[IMG]
                        Few topless Dutch Billy's there.

Comment

According to one of my cousins, our g-g- grandmother was supposed to have been related to Cardinal Cullen! We could be related Vico!

Comment

Which Cardinal Cullen V2 ....What years ?.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Was there more than one?

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Cardinal Paul Cullen DT. You can't forget him, he was instrumental in asserting papal infallibility

Comment

Working...
                                X