Clear All

• Hello......what street am I on ?.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Hello......what street am I on ?.
      Upper Rutland Street?
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
        Upper Rutland Street?
        Thank you Mr Rashers ! Aughrim Street 1958........
        Attached Files

Comment

• Old Iveagh market Francis Street.... many's the pair of 'new' shoes I had from there.... not te mention the jackets n trousers.
          Materialistic ?.... no time for that nonsense.....in 50's Dublin.
          Attached Files

Comment

• The GPO clock after the fight.
            Attached Files

Comment

• .....m........
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
                .....m........
                They were real hardworking oul skins. I saw them humping 8 stone bags of coal in all weathers, and to the tops of rickety staired tenements.

Comment

They were real hardworking oul skins. I saw them humping 8 stone bags of coal in all weathers, and to the tops of rickety staired tenements.
                  They certainly were rashers.My late father-in-law grew up here in very hard times and he and his dad delivered coal and he would tell me the storys.When he passed away at 83 the dr told me that he had the back of a twenty yr old ,straight as a die.
                  When growing up we got our coal from Sherlocks who I am sure you would know.

Comment

Coalman delivering coal....woman breastfeeding baby tells him to carry coal through house....After seeing her a few times, the coalman stops and stares, and she says 'the baby's not hungry - do you fancy some yourself?'...so he gets stuck in....woman gets randy and says 'do you fancy something more?'...Coalman says ' Don't tell me ya have Farley's rusks as well....!!!!!'

Comment

• Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                      They certainly were rashers.My late father-in-law grew up here in very hard times and he and his dad delivered coal and he would tell me the storys.When he passed away at 83 the dr told me that he had the back of a twenty yr old ,straight as a die.
                      When growing up we got our coal from Sherlocks who I am sure you would know.
                      Our coal came from McHenry's Coal Merchants down Blackpitts / Tenters way....right from over our back yard wall..... never short.
                      Coaling Sir John Rogerson's Quay 1938. No masks then eh......
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
                        Coalman delivering coal....woman breastfeeding baby tells him to carry coal through house....After seeing her a few times, the coalman stops and stares, and she says 'the baby's not hungry - do you fancy some yourself?'...so he gets stuck in....woman gets randy and says 'do you fancy something more?'...Coalman says ' Don't tell me ya have Farley's rusks as well....!!!!!'
                        Kinky busted.......
                        Attached Files

Comment

Upper Rutland Street?
                          Rashers,
                          I am amazed that you got that, it could have been any street Dublin. I do remember a post office and Morans barber shop on Rutland Street.

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                            http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/att...1&d=1422972658

This is the same row of houses taken from the other end of the street. This might help a little.

Reproduction of previous photo posted.
                            /

I believe this to be Waterford Street...

(which ran from Marlborough street to Lower Gardiner street)

it was previously named Upper Tyrone Street and before that
                            Upper Mecklenburgh Street
                            The former names were changed because of their association with Monto
                            The laneway was named Hurst Lane ...and sometimes Stable Lane
                            there was no archway over the lane
                            the house beside the lane was number 3
                            The demolished house was number 6
                            The kids and the woman in the doorway are outside number10 and the narrowness of the building next door ..number 9...is clearly made out on the OSI mapreader..at OSI .ie
                            most of the houses have repair work done to the upper floors..I think this was due to damage during the Civil War when the Hammam.. Granville ..and Gresham hotels were being shelled by an artillery piece sited at Henry Street and the concussion of the explosions damaged the roofs ...as Waterford Street was at the back of the Gresham
                            The single height buildings at the end of the terrace became the Dandy Garage numbers ,13 to 16
                            The last house before the (Dandy) garage is number 12
                            Waterford Street is no more and is built over by Champions Avenue
                            ps..on the photo with the kids in it ..you can see the on the left hand side ...the small outside wall of what became the garage

Comment

• coal

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                              Been there done that 10st jute bags 'the only you could make money was to have an empty bag on your shoulder under the full one

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                Rashers,
                                I am amazed that you got that, it could have been any street Dublin. I do remember a post office and Morans barber shop on Rutland Street.
                                Sure I was born just an ass's roar away. Moran's is still in business, the same man, in Ballybough.

Comment

Working...
                                X