35 Things you probably never knew about Dublin. My

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Is the Sugarloaf not in Wicklow... and 1600 ft. plus above sea level ??
    Aren't the wiclklow mountains higher than Dublin ones??

Delighted this thread has sparked some discussion here.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Mount Everest was given an odd number for its height as they guessed people would not believe that it was an exact number....

The Dublin hills is a better description.......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        Mount Everest was given an odd number for its height as they guessed people would not believe that it was an exact number....

The Dublin hills is a better description.......
        Brought the brother in-law [ American] up to the Dublin Mountains over 40 years ago ......his words , " Jesus Christ , their fucking hills " .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
          Brought the brother in-law [ American] up to the Dublin Mountains over 40 years ago ......his words , " Jesus Christ , their fucking hills " .

How did he know what they were used for...?

Comment

How did he know what they were used for...?
            ?? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
              ?? ...
              Wakey Wakey......''Fu*king Hills''.....

Comment

Wakey Wakey......''Fu*king Hills''.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                  I look it up and the Sugar Loaf is 501 m, Lug is 925 and Carrantuohill is the highest of all at 1.038

One of my ancestors was killed climbing Lug. Mists fall very quickly there and there are a number of sheer drops. He fell off in a mist and was found in Carlow. There is a stream there that catches bodies if they fall and it falls to Carlow, where it meets a large boulder which stops the body from going any further.
                  I spent a lot of weekends on and around The Lug in the early/mid 1970s - used to stay in the An Ă“ige hostels in Ballinclea, Aughavannagh, Glenmalure and Glendalough.

The army had an artillery range up there... for certain weeks during the summer it was a no go area. Very spectacular on a warm evening when they'd start their firing... the whole sky would light up over the mountain - followed by massive booms. We were easily amused...
                  Everything is self-evident.

Comment

They still have Cogs as far as I know. I saw them myself a few years ago. My great grandmother came from the Glen of Imaal. My cousing went walking up there one time and the red flag was not out. That meant there would be no shooting so it was safe. He started walking and they started shooting and he went ballistic. Somebody forgot to hoist the danger flag.

Comment

Working...
                    X