Anybody From Rathmines/Harolds Cross ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jinksdub View Post
    In this pic to the right is my great grandfathers shop, Sweeney's that used to be in Harolds Cross.

Hugh seems to have owned a motorbike in 1911/12. License plate RI 898

Not many from Harold's X listed in the above directory.

Comment

vivian o brian

Originally posted by Harolds X girl View Post
      Is there anybody from Rathmines / Harolds Cross around ?
      just wondering if anyone knew a vivian o brian that lived just over the bridge on heralds cross until the early 60es then went to live in london

Comment

To any Moderators looking in. I know you are all so busy, but there is a misspelling in the title of this forum. Can you fix it please.

Comment

I went to the Dogs once in Harolds Cross.....But, I was fine when I got back to Golden Lane....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Mount Jerome in Harold's Cross

Saw an interesting book on Harold's Cross recently - PLAYING WITH SKULLS - all about growing up in the area and playing football with skulls in Mount Jerome cemetery. Got a copy from Amazon - great read on an old area. Apparently the graveyard was the local playground for the happy youth and they got up to all sorts of devilment in the vaults!

Comment

I was one of those young people, we used to collect pine cones and conkers up there and when we were older , we used to dare each other to go into the tombs especially the ones near the chapel, they were falling apart and open. I never saw anyone play football with the skulls {very disrespectful}. there was very little left in the tombs, most were empty. I will be buying that book to see what its all about, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by muiris View Post
                Saw an interesting book on Harold's Cross recently - PLAYING WITH SKULLS - all about growing up in the area and playing football with skulls in Mount Jerome cemetery. Got a copy from Amazon - great read on an old area. Apparently the graveyard was the local playground for the happy youth and they got up to all sorts of devilment in the vaults!
                Hello again M, nice to see you posting. Tnx for info I'll order a copy.....and get the ones you wrote that I haven't got around to yet, well done and keep them coming.
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by johnny_doyle View Post
                  Hugh seems to have owned a motorbike in 1911/12. License plate RI 898

Not many from Harold's X listed in the above directory.
                  Sweenys sweet shop was brilliant, sad to see it gone

Comment

Many years ago i got a bicycle from the Gem cycle shop in Chelmsford Rd

Comment

Originally posted by kellier View Post
                      Many years ago i got a bicycle from the Gem cycle shop in Chelmsford Rd
                      A house sold recently on that road for close to a million.

Comment

My brother in law who was never on the southside sold his house in Cabra and bought an apartment on Ardee Road Rathmines....
                        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                          My brother in law who was never on the southside sold his house in Cabra and bought an apartment on Ardee Road Rathmines....
                          Lots of apartments on that road, good mix of expensive houses too, that was a serious move, does he like it? So handy , everything close by too.

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
                            Lots of apartments on that road, good mix of expensive houses too, that was a serious move, does he like it? So handy , everything close by too.
                            Yes he likes it.....he did it really to help out his son and daughter in law , they live in Harolds Cross and their children go to St Louis school (just as I did) he picks them up after school and minds them until they finish work...

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                              Yes he likes it.....he did it really to help out his son and daughter in law , they live in Harolds Cross and their children go to St Louis school (just as I did) he picks them up after school and minds them until they finish work...
                              Where in Harolds cross?. I went to Louis too, small world.

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
                                Where in Harolds cross?. I went to Louis too, small world.
                                In around the Governor Lane / Leinster Park / St Clare's Ave / Parkview Ave area....somewhere in there......

Comment

Working...
                                X