Piles Buildings Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
    Strange looking set of fail-safe on what looks like the brake/clutch....

joe,

that's part of the centrifical switch, that's the two conacts that should be closed on start up for the starting winding to operate, in this case the spring that pulls them together has expanded due to the overload heat, this is a very early form of starting switch , the moving part that opens on start up actually came through the rotor, at that time it was all still experimental to a degree as there wasn`t a great deal of previous data to go to....
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
      I remember some US up and over Doors at the Honda car factory being 115v 60 cycles.........

The use of frequency drive motors these day will take care of the cycles......Most lifts now have 110 volt transformers for DC circuitry so no problems with the use of US equipment....

Look at the size of the rectifier on the top of the controller in my picture.....Bare wires floating about everywhere....They were 110V (Otis) 90v (Schindler)..........The difference being that UK 415v.....Swiss 380v supply.....
      They use three Thermisters now wrapped at 120 degrees.....

Notice also no rubber mats beside controllers etc....Plenty of sparks came from bare/metal toe-tector boots.....That is the back of the controller in the picture....contactors and relays are at the Front....
      120 degrees, that's e class insulation, motors are now rewound to 145, 155, or 180 degrees which is h class with thermistors or microtherms to suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
        joe,

that's part of the centrifical switch, that's the two conacts that should be closed on start up for the starting winding to operate, in this case the spring that pulls them together has expanded due to the overload heat, this is a very early form of starting switch , the moving part that opens on start up actually came through the rotor, at that time it was all still experimental to a degree as there wasn`t a great deal of previous data to go to....
        Thanks cos.....I was looking at the caliper rollers, they seem to be the wrong way around...I wondered how the switch worked as the spring was at rest ..

It was not unusual for lift to have a bank of centrifugal switches.....Changing from A/C 8/6 poles for start up etc and on the DC machines for weight/speed injection......

Schindlers used stalled motors to lift the brakes in early days....and stalled motors to monitor phases.....They also changed direction with contacts fixed to the brake motors....thereby saving the need for two large contactors to changed direction.....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Are you pair winding us up

Comment

• a couple of pics from previous years, working in sulaweise Indonesia, very hot five degrees off the equator. couple of generators rewound and repaired.
            Attached Files

Comment

a couple of pics from previous years, working in sulaweise Indonesia, very hot five degrees off the equator. couple of generators rewound and repaired.
              Great stuff cos........

No more five ton DC motors used on lifts......Frequency drives now about two ton max......
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

a couple of pics from previous years, working in sulaweise Indonesia, very hot five degrees off the equator. couple of generators rewound and repaired.
                is dat an old Nos 8 shirt there Cos. ..?
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  is dat an old Nos 8 shirt there Cos. ..?
                  deffo not Wednesday !!

Comment

deffo not Wednesday !!
                    Thursda then ?.

Comment

• Who was Mr Piles ?

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        Who was Mr Piles ?
                        Mr Hemorrhoids in disguise maybe

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                          Preparation H

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                            Huuuum sounds Jewish te me.

Comment

• No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950

Photo outside of No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
                              Photo Back yard No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
                              Photo No.7 Piles Buildings on extreme right. In the direction of Golden Lane
                              Photo of Wood Street with telegraph pole taken from out of Piles Buildings with No. 7 on the left

The ramblings of a child who grew up in No.7 Piles Buildings in the 1950s.

I grew up in No. 7 on the ground floor. No. 7 was on the Wood Street end of Piles Buildings. The outside wall on the right next to No. 7 had a kind of dent in it which was very handy for climbing. The coal was stored in No. 7 under the stairs which led up to the people who lived above. I used to eat the coal when I was young. The scullery led out into the yard. In the yard on the left there was a horizontal gravestone slab. Above us lived a man and a woman with no children. He played drums in a band. Nellie was our next door neighbour. An older boy in the next block (Donnelly?) to us used to love scaring the living daylights out of me. The Adair's lived in No. 6 Piles Buildings.

The shops I remember are: Sadie Whelan's shop in Bride Street, where messages were done without money. Everything was on the slate. Siney's the grocer in Golden lane. The radio repair shop on the corner of Golden Lane and Bride Street. The shop on the other side of Golden Lane, just left of the entrance to Piles Buildings, where ice lollies were sold. I remember being forbidden to buy ice lollies because of the polio outbreak in Dublin. The hatch in Peter's Street where you bought broken biscuits from Jacobs factory. Always hoping that there would be some broken fig-rolls in the bag. The dairy shop in Bride Street opposite the Bird Market where milk and bread was sold. The milk would be poured into a can to be carried home. I ate a little bit of the batch loaf on the way home.

The good functioning mechanical water pump at the end of Piles Buildings at the junction of Golden Lane. The drawing of a football-cup on the wall on the right before you entered Piles Buildings from Golden Lane. Being very jealous of the children in the Iveagh Buildings in Bride Street who used to get a currant bun and a glass of milk at the Childrens' Centre in Bull Alley (Beano, Bayno) every Tuesday I think it was. The outings in Patrick's Park. I remember climbing the telegraph pole in Wood Street at the end of Piles buildings by splaying my legs between the wall and the telegraph pole.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Joxer; 24-01-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joxer View Post
                                Piles Buildings Nr. 6, 1950
                                Very rich kids with proper sandals and all. Not the oul plastics. Anyone remember them?

Comment

Working...
                                X