Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Dublin Areas > Crumlin - Kimmage - Walkinstown

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Leighlin road I knew this family
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan mack View Post
Leighlin road I knew this family
joan.....I delivered milk early in the morning and stuffed The Irish Press et al through letterboxes all over Crumlin ...only ever saw the hands of the woman of the house when we came for payment of a weekend. I was told to do that by the Jewish lender....I believe his name was Mr Radner ....who my ma and da ...borrowed from before the advent of the Credit Unions ......'never look them in the eyes , they can distract you .....just look at their hands and ....your money"
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Jew men were very Popular in Crumlin and the poor women desperate to provide confirmation clothes or communion clothes or Even to fund a Wedding etc. were quick to borrow.
The prices they charged was very high I think I remember one lady telling me thirty pound on every hundred.

Most husbands were unaware of the huge outflow of money from the weekly wage and wondered what the women were doing with the money,
I was told if you had paid back half a loan and wanted to renew it you were paying much more interest. It was Robbery and wrecked many a home.

Thankfully the Credit Unions put a stop to it all. Dockets were also very popular and many a jumper or shoes or even records were bought on dockets but the interest on those was not nearly as high, I often got a Bolgers Docket and the delight of spending it was great. Paying it back for twenty weeks however was hard. But then it was time for another one. It was live now pay later.

Only thing most people were sure to pay was life insurance. To be buried in a paupers grave would have been the greatest disgrace.

I was only eighteen married two weeks when my Mam sent the Insurance man to me I remember well the penny policies and although I insured my Mam and dad who were in their early forties I only received fifty pound after twenty three years on my Mam I left it soon after to a better plan. You were not allowed to insure your children for more then ten pound. That was in case you might have killed them just to get the money I was told or maybe infant mortality was too high at that time, Very hard times
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Jew men were very Popular in Crumlin and the poor women desperate to provide confirmation clothes or communion clothes or Even to fund a Wedding etc. were quick to borrow.
The prices they charged was very high I think I remember one lady telling me thirty pound on every hundred.

Most husbands were unaware of the huge outflow of money from the weekly wage and wondered what the women were doing with the money,
I was told if you had paid back half a loan and wanted to renew it you were paying much more interest. It was Robbery and wrecked many a home.

Thankfully the Credit Unions put a stop to it all. Dockets were also very popular and many a jumper or shoes or even records were bought on dockets but the interest on those was not nearly as high, I often got a Bolgers Docket and the delight of spending it was great. Paying it back for twenty weeks however was hard. But then it was time for another one. It was live now pay later.

Only thing most people were sure to pay was life insurance. To be buried in a paupers grave would have been the greatest disgrace.

I was only eighteen married two weeks when my Mam sent the Insurance man to me I remember well the penny policies and although I insured my Mam and dad who were in their early forties I only received fifty pound after twenty three years on my Mam I left it soon after to a better plan. You were not allowed to insure your children for more then ten pound. That was in case you might have killed them just to get the money I was told or maybe infant mortality was too high at that time, Very hard times
Joan ....your stories move me in many ways....do you DubForum people get together ever? If so I would love to attend.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

This was a meet when Boxman who owns the site came home from Australia a few years ago. There are a few posters here that still post

Bet you can't pick me out.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quote:
This was a meet when Boxman who owns the site came home from Australia a few years ago. There are a few posters here that still post

Well from your stories I would guess you're the one with the purple scarf ....but I have been known for my inaccuracies in the past
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Here is one with a classmate of yours Kevin Horan who is in your Confo photograph, He lives in Denmark and he is a musician usually plays trad but he has a great singing voice also He is at the top of the bus upstairs Then DTW then Archangel another Crumliner Susie is there somewhere and I have two places downstairs and Breda is there also also my cousin Eithne who was a member here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus81bus.jpg (92.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by joan mack; Yesterday at 10:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Here is one with a classmate of yours Kevin Horan who is in your Confo photograph, He lives in Denmark and he is a musician usually plays trad but he has a great singing voice also He is at the top of the bus upstairs Then DTW then Archangel another Crumliner Susie is there somewhere and I have two places downstairs and Breda is there also also my cousin Eithne who was a member here
Lol think bullfinch made this when we were on .ie. My avatar at the time was a lily I think. : think that was meant to be the no 81 bus on Clonmacnoise Rd.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Wow that was nearly 7 years ago at the red cow inn. I still have the denim skirt but not the red top as got rid of it. It was lovely meeting boxie and others too. Some of the posters on the pic are only on Facebook now.

Riposte is the guy to my right, a great writer and poet. He is a Walkinstowner like I am.

Last edited by Suzieq; Yesterday at 11:29 PM.
Old Today, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieq View Post
Wow that was nearly 7 years ago at the red cow inn. I still have the denim skirt but not the red top as got rid of it. It was lovely meeting boxie and others too. Some of the posters on the pic are only on Facebook now.

Riposte is the guy to my right, a great writer and poet. He is a Walkinstowner like I am.
Suzieq.....in my mid teens my two best friends lived on Greentrees Rd....Freddie Middelton and Pat Chambers....I used to walk from Stannaway Rd....all the way there 2-3 times a week ...kept me very Jaggeresque
Freddie was a good DJ and went on to be MD of EMI Ireland...think he lives in the UK now....Pat built a software consulting business .......don't know where he is now