Dna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    I just got the results of a DNA analysis kit from ancestry.com ( a birthday present )
    Apparently my DNA says I am 96 % Irish/Scottish / Welsh . 1.5 Finnish 1.5 Scandinavian , and get this ,1% Indigenous Amazonian !!!!
    Amazon.com .......nice one Bo

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      blimey, I bet that 1% has you baffled! I wonder how that came about?
      Yes , so I am , I've been called a cowboy a few times but never an Indian . I imagine a one percent in your DNA must go back a thousand years .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
        Amazon.com .......nice one Bo
        Its mad , isn't it . Do they make things up I wonder .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
          Its mad , isn't it . Do they make things up I wonder .
          There was something on Watchdog the other day about a company that carried out DNA testing for dogs to ascertain the breed. Of course they wanted a photo of the dog too along with the sample.

So the show sent a sample of the human presenters DNA along with a photo of a random dog breed and the so called DNA testing service of course confirmed that the presenter was 100% the breed in the photo

Comment

Got my results back from Ancestry last November. Says I am 77% Irish, 8% Scandinavian, 7% British, 2% West Europe, 2% East Europe, 2% West Asia and 2% Iberian Peninsula . Also suggests high Ulster Irish connection.

I did the test strictly for genealogy reasons as the maternal side of family tree is complicated. Didn't throw up any matches and not wiling to spend time delving into something that includes a lot of technical jargon I just left the results there in the hope someone would make connection and contact me.

Had almost forgotten about it until about 4 weeks ago when opened the file at Ancestry to find two people had appeared with names I recognised. One I met a few years ago and have no doubts we are in the 3rd cousin area. The other I never met but waiting to see what happens after I left a message. people have to log in to see if a match has been made and I think these two would be like me, logging in once in a blue moon.
            I was sceptical about the whole thing until recent development but have now opened the mind. The data base for all the companies doing the DNA test is very small. Ancestry must be at 4 million now but that is nothing in the sense most of their base stems from USA people. Also, in my case I feel a bit dodgy and the two names as Ancestry technology could have somehow linked us through normal family tree records they hold. When I get the finger out will make contact with the cousin I met and ask him did he get the DNA test.

Like to think down the road I will achieve matches that will help with the few mysteries in the maternal side of family tree

Comment

What does D.N.A.stand for

Comment

in the context of this thread
                DeoxyriboNucleic Acid

Comment

National dyslexic association

Comment

I just got an email from the DNA people . They found a first cousin once removed sharing my dna in the UK . Her age and name doesnt fit any of my known cousins over there . Someone has been a naughty boy or girl . Curiouser and curiouser .........

Comment

Can they be that specific about the relationship though? I mean knowing exactly how the two if you are related? I don't know much about DNA..........

Comment

Yes they can , and in this particular case h.er DNA says that she is a child of one of my first cousins

Comment

I had it done years ago, got the 111 whateverers. In the begining it was by far the most complex site to find yer way around. Then over the years it improved but all they seem to want is more money for more complicated tests. I have been given a number of 'generation' matches which tells you that you are 75% or 30% probably a relation say seven generation seperation. My closest match is a descendant of Henry Joy McCracken ( 2 generation separation) but there is NO story or even a mention of Henry Joy in my family including those in the North. Suppose old Henry got some poor lass up the duff and one of their descendants is somehow related to me by DNA !!!
                          The peculiar thing is that they put my ancestors over on the North West Coast of Ireland BUT all of my known ancestors going back to late 1600's are from Antrim.
                          It's rather expensive for titilating but questionable ancestory. I have supposedly DNA relations from about seventeen different family groups so far some are very distant.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                            I had it done years ago, got the 111 whateverers. In the begining it was by far the most complex site to find yer way around. Then over the years it improved but all they seem to want is more money for more complicated tests. I have been given a number of 'generation' matches which tells you that you are 75% or 30% probably a relation say seven generation seperation. My closest match is a descendant of Henry Joy McCracken ( 2 generation separation) but there is NO story or even a mention of Henry Joy in my family including those in the North. Suppose old Henry got some poor lass up the duff and one of their descendants is somehow related to me by DNA !!!
                            The peculiar thing is that they put my ancestors over on the North West Coast of Ireland BUT all of my known ancestors going back to late 1600's are from Antrim.
                            It's rather expensive for titilating but questionable ancestory. I have supposedly DNA relations from about seventeen different family groups so far some are very distant.
                            How much did you have to pay Conor ? They are Looking for €60 to upgrade the membership for a year and I presume that allows them you more specific information.

Comment

I heard somewhere that in any one area there's only about three different family lines so if you went back far enough you'd probably be related to 1 in 3 people in your area (of your own ethnicity, of course). I'm interested in genealogy but after a point it gets a bit silly. I remember reading that David Cameron (I think) was a seventh cousin of some other famous person. When I mentioned this to my ex-husband he pointed out that their common ancestor would have been around a couple of centuries ago and at that rate anybody could be a distant cousin of David Cameron or the other guy.......in fact I'd say there's a good chance that if you went back far enough we'd find we're all related to a few other people on this forum........

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                                I heard somewhere that in any one area there's only about three different family lines so if you went back far enough you'd probably be related to 1 in 3 people in your area (of your own ethnicity, of course). I'm interested in genealogy but after a point it gets a bit silly. I remember reading that David Cameron (I think) was a seventh cousin of some other famous person. When I mentioned this to my ex-husband he pointed out that their common ancestor would have been around a couple of centuries ago and at that rate anybody could be a distant cousin of David Cameron or the other guy.......in fact I'd say there's a good chance that if you went back far enough we'd find we're all related to a few other people on this forum........
                                Quinner and D.T.W.

Comment

Working...
                                X