Comment

ditto...
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
            ditto...
            Well done Fitzy

Comment

Great photos fitzy so amazing to see the changes, smithfield is nothing like it was when we left

Comment

Originally posted by LIAM269 View Post
                Well done Fitzy
                Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                Great photos fitzy so amazing to see the changes, smithfield is nothing like it was when we left
                thanks , yes major changes to smithfield even since I was there last

Comment

I was up Smithfield way last Wednesday,I came from that area [Blackhall Place] and I like to go back for visits from time to time.If you look closley at the pic of The Cobblestone you will see a sign saying Checkpoint Charlie and its pointing towards Smithfield.Back in the 60s Richard Burton made a film called The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and some scenes were done in Smithfield.They built a replica of The Berlin Wall in Smithfield,Checkpoint Charlie being the side of the wall manned by american troops.Burton was shot and killed trying to get over the wall,wonder if he dropped in for a pint to The Cobblestone? We were left the area by then but I had to go back to see Checkpoint Charlie.A lot of people wouldn't get the connection with that sign and Smithfield but I think its nice that someone thought to put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
                    I was up Smithfield way last Wednesday,I came from that area [Blackhall Place] and I like to go back for visits from time to time.If you look closley at the pic of The Cobblestone you will see a sign saying Checkpoint Charlie and its pointing towards Smithfield.Back in the 60s Richard Burton made a film called The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and some scenes were done in Smithfield.They built a replica of The Berlin Wall in Smithfield,Checkpoint Charlie being the side of the wall manned by american troops.Burton was shot and killed trying to get over the wall,wonder if he dropped in for a pint to The Cobblestone? We were left the area by then but I had to go back to see Checkpoint Charlie.A lot of people wouldn't get the connection with that sign and Smithfield but I think its nice that someone thought to put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                      Spent an evening in Smithfield watching the filming of the opening scene from " The Spy Who Came in from The Cold " They must have shot that scene about

a dozen times where the cyclist is shot and falls off his bike.Did'nt think much of the finished movie when it was in the cinemas.Not much of a Burton fan.

I took some photos back then but they disappeared many years ago I'm afraid.When I was in Berlin some years ago I went to see Checkpoint Charlie.

It looked just like I remembered and it brought back memories of that night in Smithfield during 1965.
                      Last edited by camden; 22-04-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Smithfield yesterday
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
                          Yeah thanks for the great memory, I had a friend who lived in the tenements in queen st. and we would visit smithfield regularly to watch filming.
                          We also saw the filming of the young cassidy in queen st, where they featured the ambush/barricade scene.
                          Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                            Spent an evening in Smithfield watching the filming of the opening scene from " The Spy Who Came in from The Cold " They must have shot that scene about

a dozen times where the cyclist is shot and falls off his bike.Did'nt think much of the finished movie when it was in the cinemas.Not much of a Burton fan.

I took some photos back then but they disappeared many years ago I'm afraid.When I was in Berlin some years ago I went to see Checkpoint Charlie.

It looked just like I remembered and it brought back memories of that night in Smithfield during 1965.
                            I was there too and managed to scrounge these three pix of the set from somewhere a few years back....and yer man riding the bike you mentioned.

I remember them creating rain with fire hoses.
                            Attached Files
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I think they have really opened it up for people to use again, well done for the photos everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X