Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People urged to wear white poppy after Taoiseach wears Shamrock poppy for Irish WWI d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People urged to wear white poppy after Taoiseach wears Shamrock poppy for Irish WWI d

People commemorating World War One are being asked to wear white poppies instead of the usual red poppy.

More...

Originally posted by admin View Post
    People commemorating World War One are being asked to wear white poppies instead of the usual red poppy.

More...
    Red Poppy Canadian not British.....whats the problem......Though i do like Mr Vs Shamrock Poppy...very original.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post

More...
      Do these fuckwits actually believe that veterans celebrate or commemorate war? They just honour their mates. We have the red poppy in Australia. White poppy my arse.
      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
        Do these fuckwits actually believe that veterans celebrate or commemorate war? They just honour their mates. We have the red poppy in Australia. White poppy my arse.
        Right on Boxie; It's about those who died,not where they came.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Red Poppy Canadian not British.....whats the problem......Though i do like Mr Vs Shamrock Poppy...very original.
          Oil get a shamrock jobbie and wear both. I usually fall in and march past the cenotaph in London with the HMS Ganges gang ......though i was trained elsewhere. This year i will stay local but my nearest city has a special remembrance Sunday anyway..........those fellas had some balls and deserve to be remembered......i wouldnt miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            The shamrock poppy is lovely & varadkar wore it to remember irish soldiers.
            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
              Iagree....and fair play to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                Was designed by the British Legion in Limerick to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War.

Good to see a serving Taoiseach wearing it.
                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Why wear this for that , or that for this .[not being argumentative]

If ceremonies / demonstrations / rallies are being held and it's possible for people to attend , attend .

The person themselves know what or who they support / follow , should that not be enough for them .??

If Leo was an ordinary 5/8 , would he be wearing his badge ?? .

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                    Was designed by the British Legion in Limerick to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War.

Good to see a serving Taoiseach wearing it.
                    good oul Brit Legionnaires.....cheap beer....good entertainment and now Shamrock Poppies.

Comment

Look i dont care what color the poppy is.....my issue is these bloomin pins..why dont they make stick on fecking poppies that dont put a hole in you while your wearing it..and doesnt fall off.....oh wait i know..the more poppies you lose you have to replace so more cash for the sellers..

I believe in respect and acknowledgement for the Vets....not celebration of war....my father always refused to wear a poppy and many people do still..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                        Look i dont care what color the poppy is.....my issue is these bloomin pins..why dont they make stick on fecking poppies that dont put a hole in you while your wearing it..and doesnt fall off.....oh wait i know..the more poppies you lose you have to replace so more cash for the sellers..

I believe in respect and acknowledgement for the Vets....not celebration of war....my father always refused to wear a poppy and many people do still..
                        Mainly cos they thought it was an English thing....sure anything English was frowned upon in the bad oul days....Now the Queen is hailed as a star in Ireland.

DANIEL McCONNELL Chief Reporter Indo
                        May 22 2011 5:00 AM

THE Irish, it is clear, have taken the Queen of Britain to their hearts and most want her to come back soon.
                        An overwhelming majority of the Irish people have said Queen Elizabeth won their hearts during her historic four-day visit to Ireland last week, according to the latest Sunday Independent/Quantum Research poll.
                        Ninety-five per cent of those polled said they thought the Queen had won the hearts of the Irish people.

Even those who admitted to having no great interest in her prior to the visit said they were won over by her exemplary attitude and the warmth she displayed throughout her stay here.
                        "I'm a republican who voted Sinn Fein and I would say yes, most certainly, she won the hearts of the Irish people," one male respondent said. Those polled were struck by how relaxed she appeared to be and were touched by her use of the Irish language and the humility shown on her visits to revered nationalist sites, such as the Garden of Remembrance and Croke Park.

"It was a great moment for this country when the Queen addressed our nation in Irish at the opening of her speech, really wonderful," one female respondent said.
                        "I had my doubts but now I'm a believer!" said another.

Most said her visit to Cork was their highlight, especially the unofficial walkabout.
                        It also appears that the Irish have developed a warm affection for the gaffe-prone Prince Philip, with 92 per cent saying they thought the Irish people liked him.

Comment

Working...
                        X