Translated Books Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translated Books Recommendations?

I am looking some recommendations on books that were translated into English. Nothing too heavy like War & Peace, more along the lines of Inspector Montalbano or Maigret. It doesn't have to be a particular genre, just a good read that offers a genuine glimpse of the authors culture. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
    I am looking some recommendations on books that were translated into English. Nothing too heavy like War & Peace, more along the lines of Inspector Montalbano or Maigret. It doesn't have to be a particular genre, just a good read that offers a genuine glimpse of the authors culture. Thanks in advance.
    Crime and punishment.........

A day in the life of Ivan Ivanovitch....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      Crime and punishment.........

A day in the life of Ivan Ivanovitch....
      August 1914....The Russian invasion of East Prussia.....

Comment

MOst of the stuff i read is translated......im pretty much into Nordic authors, henning mankel.....etc etc.

Comment

Books shelved as scandinavian-crime-fiction: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson, Faceless K...

Comment

I used to read all of H H Kirst's war novels in my teens , and found them to be well translated from the German . They left a lasting impression on me but would probably find them dated now ( if still in print )

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
              I used to read all of H H Kirst's war novels in my teens , and found them to be well translated from the German . They left a lasting impression on me but would probably find them dated now ( if still in print )
              I remember the First translated Novel I read....''The wheels of Terror''....Sven Hassel.....I bought it in a shop in Dame street facing Dublin Castle...Great Novel, I believe he wrote more about the same tank crew....Probably the only Novel I have read about WW2 though You could say it was based on real facts about the German retreat (panic) across the Dneiper in 1943....

Comment

I remember the First translated Novel I read....''The wheels of Terror''....Sven Hassel.....I bought it in a shop in Dame street facing Dublin Castle...Great Novel, I believe he wrote more about the same tank crew....Probably the only Novel I have read about WW2 though You could say it was based on real facts about the German retreat (panic) across the Dneiper in 1943....
                Yes I read all Sven Hassel books as well . His first first novel was "Legion of the Damned" about his time spent in a penal battalion during the war . There was a big doubt about whether he actually was there at all . All the rest were along the same subject but never captured the quality of the first one .

Comment

Yes I read all Sven Hassel books as well . His first first novel was "Legion of the Damned" about his time spent in a penal battalion during the war . There was a big doubt about whether he actually was there at all . All the rest were along the same subject but never captured the quality of the first one .
                  I always thought that wheels of terror was his first.....As I have studied what he wrote about I thought that it was many stories about the retreat rolled into one.....Many German soldiers were punished after that headlong retreat, even to the point of decimation from the Roman punishment of picking out every tenth man in a unit that showed cowardice and executing those unlucky enough to be chosen....He mentions Cherkassy in the book, that was an absolute disaster as the Russians had already got a bridgehead across the river there....The bottleneck there was akin to Napoleon's retreat across the Beritzena in 1812......

Comment

Napper......Highly recommend Japanese writer Haruki Murakami ..Really enjoyed his Trilogy 1Q84......also Norwegian Wood & Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World

Indian writer Vikram Seth is also worth reading ........

Afghanistan writer Khaled hosseini's books are excellent and give a great insight into life in that country......I would recommed "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Pleasant Suns"

For crime thrillers you can't beat the Scandinavians.....Jo Nesbo / Henning Mankell / Hjorth & Rosenfeldt / Hakan Nesser...etc etc
                    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I always thought that wheels of terror was his first.....As I have studied what he wrote about I thought that it was many stories about the retreat rolled into one.....Many German soldiers were punished after that headlong retreat, even to the point of decimation from the Roman punishment of picking out every tenth man in a unit that showed cowardice and executing those unlucky enough to be chosen....He mentions Cherkassy in the book, that was an absolute disaster as the Russians had already got a bridgehead across the river there....The bottleneck there was akin to Napoleon's retreat across the Beritzena in 1812......
                      I just did a quick google . he wrote Legion of the Damned in 1953 and his second book was Wheels of Terror in 1958 .

Comment

I just did a quick google . he wrote Legion of the Damned in 1953 and his second book was Wheels of Terror in 1958 .
                        Thanks bo...I only read that one book......All other books I have read on the subject have been history books...
                        At the moment I am reading about the young officers killed in WW1...The myth that only the ''soldiers'' were slaughtered is just that, a myth....I have read much the same about the young German officers in WW2...The attrition rate was frightening.....

Comment

I read them all too but as you said he seems to be shrouded in mystery about his actual military background. I think he died about 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                            I read them all too but as you said he seems to be shrouded in mystery about his actual military background. I think he died about 4 years ago.

A foreigner fighting for the Germans.....maybe it was wise to be a mystery.....

Comment

Working...
                            X