No announcement yet.

camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gap in the streetscape caused by the fire and subsequent demolition of no. 34 Camden St., a historic building which was the birthplace of the National Theatre and also the Fianna. On a positive note, two buildings on the other side of the street, 63 and 64, which were damaged by fire earlier in the year, have been renovated.
    Attached Files
    Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• In 1908 the republican feminist and businesswoman Jenny Wyse Power opened a shop at 21 Camden St. called the Irish Farm Produce Company where she sold eggs, butter, cream, honey, confectionery, etc, all Irish produce. She also provided tea and refreshments. She went on to become president of Cumann na MBan and was active in all kinds of nationalist and feminist groups up to 1921, after which she was a senator for many years. She took the pro-treaty side in the civil war, as a result of which the premises in Camden St. was bombed. The Fontana CafĂ© is now located on the site.
      Attached Files

Comment

• A photo from 1972 (great weather in all these old photos!).
        Attached Files

Comment

• Also from 1972. Fitzpatrick's had a great selection of fruit and veg. After returning from travels abroad I could find a good selection of what I had been used to in more tropical climes. It closed about 1998.

That looks like my mother outside the Kylemore. She would cycle into Camden St., then walk the bike home, with the shopping bags slung across the handlebars!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Terrific Photos AD. They certainly bring back memories long forgotten.I knew a chap worked in Fitzpatricks, Freddie I think his name was. He went out with my sister. It was a great street in those days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
              A photo from 1972 (great weather in all these old photos!).
              Thank you for those fantastic photos,they're really superb.Do you remember

the name of the shop beside Cavey's before it became Marlowe Cleaners ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                Terrific Photos AD. They certainly bring back memories long forgotten.I knew a chap worked in Fitzpatricks, Freddie I think his name was. He went out with my sister. It was a great street in those days.
                Think you might be talking about a guy called Freddie Perkins.He lived above

Cavey's shop.Yes it was a great street back then.Thanks again for the photos
                Last edited by camden; 14-09-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by camden View Post
                  Think you might be talking about a guy called Freddie Perkins.He lived above Cavey's shop.Yes it was a great street back then.Thanks again for the photos
                  That name rings a bell. Think he might be related to the Perkins from Bloomfield Park, whom I know fairly well.

Comment

Also from 1972. Fitzpatrick's had a great selection of fruit and veg. After returning from travels abroad I could find a good selection of what I had been used to in more tropical climes. It closed about 1998.

That looks like my mother outside the Kylemore. She would cycle into Camden St., then walk the bike home, with the shopping bags slung across the handlebars!
                    On Christmas Eve many many years ago after asking my mother a hundred times the truth about Santa Claus she eventually weakened and told me the truth.

That was outside O'Reilly's shop and I still remember the disappointment I felt.There is now a Tesco shop there in it's place but I still remember when I pass.
                    Last edited by camden; 14-09-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

That name rings a bell. Think he might be related to the Perkins from Bloomfield Park, whom I know fairly well.
                      I recall his father had a shoe repair business at Westland Row Station.

Comment

Also from 1972. Fitzpatrick's had a great selection of fruit and veg. After returning from travels abroad I could find a good selection of what I had been used to in more tropical climes. It closed about 1998.

My mam loved the iced tipsy cake from the Kylemore

Comment

• the cream slices.
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• The Kylemore was the first place I ever tasted a Meringue.It's something I'm

not very fond of now but I do remember my first taste back in the late 50's

Comment

• !

Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                              Terrific Photos AD. They certainly bring back memories long forgotten.I knew a chap worked in Fitzpatricks, Freddie I think his name was. He went out with my sister. It was a great street in those days.
                              Hi all,

you are correct Fred Perkins lived in Camden Street over Caveys Off licence and his dad Bobby Perkins owned the shoe repairs under the tracks on Westmorland St.

Fred is actually my uncle and of course Bobby my grandad!

My mam also worked in Fitzers with Fred -Jean Perkins - she is the oldest of the Perkins gang!

Comment

• that should of course say Westland Row.

I cant wait to show my mam this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X