Bits Of History Near You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    frome in somerset......famous for supplying the blue uniform cloth for the uniforms of the imperial russian guard.......
    Ya aint told them about The Witch in yer Wookey Hole yet ....have ya ?.
    Hey pop pickers....Joe's got a big Wookey Hole........
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Ya aint told them about The Witch in yer Wookey Hole yet ....have ya ?.
      Hey pop pickers....Joe's got a big Wookey Hole........

the stones are nearer......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

the stones are nearer......
        I know, but gowan tell em bout yer Wookey Hole.

Comment

we got cheddar gorge.... the roman bath's......the westbury white horse.....salisbury cathedral...

wells cathedral......brunel suspension bridge.....avon gorge.....and quinners couch.......

Comment

I know, but gowan tell em bout yer Wookey Hole.
            never been.........

Comment

You need to go then Joe we would all like to see some pictures of your Wookey hole!! Lol

Comment

Someone was just saying that Eng know how to look after their heritage....and I agree they put a lot into historical sites and buildings...English Heritage is a great organization.
                An example of the Irish opposite of that is near me. Kenure House, the estate was broke up by the land commission, the Palmer family sold off the contents of the house and Dublin Corporation took over the house. Then they knocked it down in the late 1970s for safety reasons leaving only the Portico as a reminder of past glory.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                  You need to go then Joe we would all like to see some pictures of your Wookey hole!! Lol
                  maire.....i would love to show you the great oerifice in the mendip hills....

i think my daughter has some pictures of the cheddar caves...i will ask....

there is always the recent pictures of my trip to the royal united hospital in bath....

there is an absence of stalagmites and tites. but a clear picture of a benign polyp......

Comment

maire.....i would love to show you the great oerifice in the mendip hills....

i think my daughter has some pictures of the cheddar caves...i will ask....

there is always the recent pictures of my trip to the royal united hospital in bath....

there is an absence of stalagmites and tites. but a clear picture of a benign polyp......
                    I'll pass on the latter Joe! Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                      An example of the Irish opposite of that is near me. Kenure House, the estate was broke up by the land commission, the Palmer family sold off the contents of the house and Dublin Corporation took over the house. Then they knocked it down in the late 1970s for safety reasons leaving only the Portico as a reminder of past glory.
                      Abysmal situation Napper.
                      Quote; The sale of Kenure House by the Palmer family came that few years too early for enlightened planning.
                      Thanks for the info, it's what the thread's about...I'd never heard of it before but just had a good read here;
                      The article on Kenure House and Demesne, near Rush, Co Dublin details the historical significance of the building. It also examines the historic events which can be related to the estate since the twelfth century, including the arrival of Norman lords and the Wars of the Roses. The article discusses some of the famous people who lived in Kenure, including Robert Walsh, James the 2nd Duke of Ormond, the Echlin family. It then explores the long relationship of the Palmer family with the house. George Pratt also offers his recollections of Kenure House between 1938-1941. The article concludes by looking at the demolition of Kenure House in 1964. The contents of Kenure House were auctioned, and the estate was sold to the Irish Land Commission. It discusses Colonel R. H. Fenwick-Palmer, the last of the Palmers to live in the house, and how he had decided to abandon the losing battle against rising costs, dry rot and rising damp. The house was eventually handed over to Dublin County Council, who, unable to find a buyer for it, in its increasingly dilapidated and vandalised condition, were finally obliged to demolish it for safety reasons in 1978.

Comment

Here yar Marie, a glimpse into Joe's ....Wookey Hole.
                        Location SOMERSET, ENGLAND
                        In the 18th century when Alexander Pope visited the caves, he had several stalactites shot down as souvenirs. Today, the caves are home to horseshoe bats, moths, cave spiders, frogs,eels, and freshwater shrimp.Hyena Den, Badger Hole, and Rhinoceros Hole are the names of caves in the complex of Wookey Hole in Somerset, southern England.
                        All here http://www.wookey.co.uk/
                        Attached Files

Comment

Abysmal situation Napper.
                          Quote; The sale of Kenure House by the Palmer family came that few years too early for enlightened planning.
                          Thanks for the info, it's what the thread's about...I'd never heard of it before but just had a good read here;
                          http://www.askaboutireland.ie/readin.../kenure-house/
                          Among the furniture sold off in the contents sale was a Chippendale which was later sold in 2008 by a member of the Sainsbury family for £2,729,250 / $5,324,767 and became the most expensive piece of British furniture ever sold at auction

The house also contained some items from Pompeii.

Comment

In the 18th century when Alexander Pope visited the caves, he had several stalactites shot down as souvenirs. Today, the caves are home to horseshoe bats, moths, cave spiders, frogs,eels, and freshwater shrimp.Hyena Den, Badger Hole, and Rhinoceros Hole are the names of caves in the complex of Wookey Hole in Somerset, southern England.
                            the kids go there often........i took my own kids many years ago......

we go to cheddar to watch the climbers and the goats...

Comment

Thanks Noel, looks lovely!

Comment

I'll pass on the latter Joe! Lmao
                                ok.....lol...

maire i lived in east anglia (like yourself) for many years.....my choice of the south/west was purely coincidental......i had intended to move around for my last 9 years of working.....

then i met kath........and here i am......kath is happy as her family is around here....i can't ever see her moving back to cornwall.....or anywhere else.

wherever i live....i live, i have no preference......

if i was alone and not fit.....i would probably move back to my family in cambridgeshire....there would be no problem getting an old peoples bungalow....

i paid council tax there for 39 years...

Comment

Working...
                                X