This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
    Here's one taken after the blasting of the four courts and O'Connell St. not sure of the location though.
    Abbey St?

Comment

Looks like Henry St to me just after the Rebellion. GPO to the left foreground and the tower above Arnotts towards the center?
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmymac View Post
        Abbey St?
        I would agree. Abbey St.
        Gatsby

Caesar et erat forti, Brutus et sum iam, Caesar sic in omnibus, Brutus sic intram.

Comment

Wood Quay Dublin 1964
          Attached Files
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Here's one taken after the blasting of the four courts and O'Connell St. not sure of the location though.
            this photo reminds me of Mary Street looking up Henry Street
            Bamba and Pennies on left

Comment

Dublin the year I was born 1959, notice no Liberty Hall.
              Attached Files
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

And here they are building Liberty Hall
                Attached Files
                Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                  I love this photo
                  Always nice te see the "Bank of Urland" shimmering in the water !
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Special Nationwide Programme from RTE. April 2006
                    Looking back at the Commemorations and events on 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising in 1966.

Part 1

Part 2

Comment

Great images Jim and I recall seeing some of that film on the rte website archive section, at the time of the 60th annaversary of the 1916 rising .

As the narrorator said in part one ' a lost world ' Indeed it is .

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                        Dublin the year I was born 1959, notice no Liberty Hall.
                        this is a realy great photo nice to see how the city was laid out

Comment

Commemorations and events on 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising in 1966.

Rashers, unfortunatly I was stuck in london all that year and missed out on the celebrations. By the way there is a brief shot of me uncle Joe in the background of the opening of Kilmanham in the 2nd video.

Great to see this stuff.
                          Last edited by Rashers; 24-10-2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: Apologies, I edited rather than quoted.

Comment

Rashers, unfortunatly I was stuck in london all that year and missed out on the celebrations. By the way there is a brief shot of me uncle Joe in the background of the opening of Kilmanham in the 2nd video.

Great to see this stuff.
                            Have to watch out for him, Capt. I did a bit of voluntary work on the Kilmainham restoration as a sort of personal memorial to my paternal grandparents, both of who spent a bit of time as guests of the nation.

One great regret I have is that my gran died without me getting all of her stories on tape. She all but totally raised me up to the age of about 14 years, and she used to bring that era to life for me and even as a younger kid with no political understanding whatever I would be enthralled by her stories.... as she spoke I would be there.

I remember the first day she saw me in a (to her) Free State uniform. She screamed when she recognised me as I came up the stairs of her flat and begged me not to "wear their coat" as she put it. Another old man in the flats calmed her down, and reluctantly she accepted that I had joined an army that was no longer a curse in her memories.

It wasn't until the Congo that she began to recognise that this new Ireland was respected in the eyes of the world, and she was proud of that.

Comment

A new poem written by Pat McCann about Dublin in the early 1950s to a background of Raglan Rd. played on tin whistle by Joe Dunne...and pictures of old Dublin in the good oul days...Let this take ya back....

Comment

Grafton St. (1970s?)

Comment

Working...
                                X