Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kellier View Post
    Did Judas volunteer to be the scapegoat
    Not as far as I have read Kellier. The book starts by covering his name and where it came from, also pointing out that there was others named Judas, but often referred to in short, as Judah.

There is a funny little story at the beginning of the book, I don't think I put this up on the Forum, but excuse me if I did and don't recall.

In the US a class of young children were asked to write a precis of what they had learned of the gospel. One child write:

Jesus had twelve opossums. The worst one was Judas Asparagus. Judas was so evil that they named a terrible vegetable after him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      Read that last year - not so much a mystery, more a rather touching - and often humorous- tale of an elderly lady with dementia, seen from her point of view......
      Glenda Jackson will return to television screens for the first time in more than 25 years to star in a new BBC drama based on bestselling novel, Elizabeth Is Missing.

Now aged 83, the double-Oscar winner and former Labour MP will play a dementia sufferer in a BBC One adaptation of Emma Healey's 2014 novel.

Jackson, who last appeared on screen in December 1992 when she was just 56, will play main character Maud in the one-off, feature-length drama.
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• After reading the book i dont think id bother watching the programme

Comment

• Dominion: The Making of the Western Mind

Written by Tom Holland - I started reading it yesterday.

It's a history of Christianity - not from a theological viewpoint but on the impact it's had on our planet right up to today. Challenging read.

There's a review here...

Weekly magazine featuring the best British journalists, authors, critics and cartoonists, since 1828
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Recently finished reading "Tanglewood" by Dermot Bolger......Dermot Bolger is one of my favourite Irish Authors and he doesn't disappoint in this novel....set in Blackrock Dublin....during the Celtic tiger period 2007 - 2009 just before the crash....it's all about the Irish obsession of owning property and making lots of money and the dirty underhanded way people would do anything to get what they wanted... Very Good Read ....would recommend

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post

It's a history of Christianity - not from a theological viewpoint but on the impact it's had on our planet right up to today. Challenging read.

There's a review here...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/...her-way-round/
              that sounds very interesting Cogs, will get a copy from the Library and have a read.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post

There's a review here...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/...her-way-round/

Cogs I've just read a very interesting article by John Gray in the New Statesman about this book. It is fascinating. John Gray's own recent book is called "Seven Types of Atheism. I like how he writes, so that will be next on my list after Tim Holland's Dominion.

Comment

• Ive just finished Coral Island by RM Ballantyne, a boys adventure book i last read when i was about 11 or 12

Comment

• My 2 grand daughters were with us for the last week and they brought some books over with them. They are both older teenagers. The books R.L.Stevenson Kidnapped, Laurie Lee Cider With Rosie, Lucy Montgomery Anne Of Green Gables & PD James Cover Her Face, a good varied selection

Comment

• I adored Anne of Green Gables - read nearly all the books, right up till "Anne of Ingleside" when she's married with kids. Great series.

Comment

• Originally posted by kellier View Post
                        My 2 grand daughters were with us for the last week and they brought some books over with them. They are both older teenagers. The books R.L.Stevenson Kidnapped, Laurie Lee Cider With Rosie, Lucy Montgomery Anne Of Green Gables & PD James Cover Her Face, a good varied selection
                        Good selection kellier ....it's hard to get most teenagers to read anything other than reality drivel

Comment

I adored Anne of Green Gables - read nearly all the books, right up till "Anne of Ingleside" when she's married with kids. Great series.
                          It's one of those books that is massive in a particular country.

BBC News - Anne of Green Gables: The most popular redhead in Japan
                          The Canadian stories have become a feminist touchstone in Japan and inspired their own Japanese cultural spinoffs.

Comment

• A great read definitely

Comment

I adored Anne of Green Gables - read nearly all the books, right up till "Anne of Ingleside" when she's married with kids. Great series.
                              I did see some tv episodes of Anne of Green Gables a good few years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                                that sounds very interesting Cogs, will get a copy from the Library and have a read.
                                Must keep an eye out for it sounds interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X