No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just finished 'the anarchy' by William Dalrymple. its historical. its about the beginning and rise of the east india company and the private empire that they took from the indian people, its incredible to read the power they held and all as a private enterprise, until eventually queen vic stepped in and became an empress overnight. if you like history and an interest in the 'e.i.c' you will be amazed at the goings on there.
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Bought this book yesterday...just going through it now it's a good read

Tim Carey on writing Dublin Since 1922, his book about how the city evolved and reinvented itself, told through 300 events such as the last tram or first double-decker
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
        Bought this book yesterday...just going through it now it's a good read

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...-too-1.2850799
        That sounds good Dinny. Like the author, I've heard the phrase "Dublin isn't really Ireland" and similar over the years and while I'd agree it's clearly not like rural Ireland, as a plastic Paddy proud of my Irish roots (half of which are from Dublin) I have found this a little upsetting. Of course Dublin is different to rural Ireland - it's a city! You wouldn't say London wasn't the "Real England" though it bears no resemblance to the Yorkshire Dales, for example. Anyway rant over - it does sound like an interesting book.

Comment

• can it be bought on line??

Comment

• My niece just recommended a book she has finished reading and found interesting "Ireland's Pirate Trail". It sounds like a good read

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
              can it be bought on line??
              You can get it on Amazon cosmo....

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                That sounds good Dinny. Like the author, I've heard the phrase "Dublin isn't really Ireland" and similar over the years and while I'd agree it's clearly not like rural Ireland, as a plastic Paddy proud of my Irish roots (half of which are from Dublin) I have found this a little upsetting. Of course Dublin is different to rural Ireland - it's a city! You wouldn't say London wasn't the "Real England" though it bears no resemblance to the Yorkshire Dales, for example. Anyway rant over - it does sound like an interesting book.
                Only people that say Dublin isn't Ireland is jealous culchies that hate Dublin and Dubliners ....Dublin is as Irish as any place in the country ....the people you say that are the same people peeking through their curtains in the mock "Dallas" type bungalows that are dotted around the "Real" Ireland

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                  Dublin still has its rural parts, ever decreasing with the blow ins moving out from the city but definitely not part of the city yet.

Comment

You can get it on Amazon cosmo....
                    thanks dinny.

Comment

• thanks dinny, I did find it on amazon, but there was a huge difference in price on different amazon pages , from $11.80 upto $57 . [that's pounds by the way I don`t have pound symbol on keyboard] so I got it for $11.80 free delivery. that's second hand by the way but states its nearly new , not to worry .

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        thanks dinny, I did find it on amazon, but there was a huge difference in price on different amazon pages , from $11.80 upto $57 . [that's pounds by the way I don`t have pound symbol on keyboard] so I got it for $11.80 free delivery. that's second hand by the way but states its nearly new , not to worry .
                        Well done Cosmo.....enjoy your read

Comment

• just borrowed a copy of the book about the thirteen boys trapped and rescued in the cave in Thailand, into a few pages seems interesting, very lucky boys.

Comment

• Bought a book in a secondhand book shop couple of weeks back.....glancing through it found a train ticket ......Kingston to Worcester Park.. 4th August 06....cost £2.50......

Comment

• My current bedtime read = "The Amazing Rise and Rise of Sinn Fein"...(From Arthur Griffith to the present day) (Acme Books 2020).
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Bought a book in a secondhand book shop couple of weeks back.....glancing through it found a train ticket ......Kingston to Worcester Park.. 4th August 06....cost £2.50......
                                Chapters when it was on Middle Abbey Street use to have a board behind the second hand book counter in the basement with the various paraphernalia used as book marks. Post cards, bus/train tickets, naughty pics and not so naughty ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X