No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Vico AS a child it didn't mean anything when kids said lets go to the Bower. Its only later on it clicked.

So may sayings I didn't question then, My Brothers saying "were going for a dip" Never knew it meant they were going to swim,

When My Dad said I'm going to thump my chest and lift my elbow I never thought he meant he was going to sodality and later to Mooneys Pub lol! I was a slow learner

My Favourite Cinema as a child was the Rialto a bit dearer but a bit more class. I also loved the Star never thought I would one day work there, The Lovely red tintawn carpets which I have never seen since, Wonder did they stop making them

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
      Yes Vico AS a child it didn't mean anything when kids said lets go to the Bower. Its only later on it clicked.

So may sayings I didn't question then, My Brothers saying "were going for a dip" Never knew it meant they were going to swim,

When My Dad said I'm going to thump my chest and lift my elbow I never thought he meant he was going to sodality and later to Mooneys Pub lol! I was a slow learner

My Favourite Cinema as a child was the Rialto a bit dearer but a bit more class. I also loved the Star never thought I would one day work there, The Lovely red tintawn carpets which I have never seen since, Wonder did they stop making them

I remember the Star cinema although I was never in it. I went to the Rialto and the Leinster. They were my locals, so to speak.

Re the tintawn, it is gone. Irish Carpets went out of business. The Whitewater shopping centre is on that site now in Newbridge

Comment

• I always thought the tintawn very twiney looking and I am sure dirt gathered in the crevices.

My dad coming out of Bailey Son and Gibson would meet me on the Barn and we would go to the Leinster or the Rialto whatever we thought the best movie was being shown

I loved many of them The Great Caruso Call me Madam so may more I loved .

There were a few I hated my dad loved those, The Old Man and the Sea. Great Expectations. I hated war movies such as Carve her name with Pride and I was often awake at night after seeing them

I must have been about twelve, can't image letting a twelve year old out on her own to go to the Barn from Crumlin, But those were more simple times

Comment

I always thought the tintawn very twiney looking and I am sure dirt gathered in the crevices.

My dad coming out of Bailey Son and Gibson would meet me on the Barn and we would go to the Leinster or the Rialto whatever we thought the best movie was being shown

I loved many of them The Great Caruso Call me Madam so may more I loved .

There were a few I hated my dad loved those, The Old Man and the Sea. Great Expectations. I hated war movies such as Carve her name with Pride and I was often awake at night after seeing them

I must have been about twelve, can't image letting a twelve year old out on her own to go to the Barn from Crumlin, But those were more simple times

The Barn was a very safe place in those days Joan, not like now.

Comment

• Yes Vico I have no idea what the barn is like now, But when I was about fifteen my friends and I would spent a long time walking around the barn;. There were teddyboys hanging on the corner but we never felt threatened, Most were just normal guys wearing the gear and thinking they looked cool.

We were too young for them and at that time our parents would have been so mad at us, Teddyboys had a very bad name.

It was thought they bashed each other with chains, But really Vico I don't remember stabbings or any real damage.

Sometimes watching the boys swimming in the canal a cry would go up about a fight and every one would run to the scene expecting blood. But I don't think they liked to toss their hair or ruin the good clobber as they called it and it was just a bit of a tousle.

Loved the shops on the barn and the chipper was great walking home from a dance, I have to say when I am on the bus and pass the Barn now it looks so dilapidated Not the magic playground I loved

Comment

Yes Vico I have no idea what the barn is like now, But when I was about fifteen my friends and I would spent a long time walking around the barn;. There were teddyboys hanging on the corner but we never felt threatened, Most were just normal guys wearing the gear and thinking they looked cool.

We were too young for them and at that time our parents would have been so mad at us, Teddyboys had a very bad name.

It was thought they bashed each other with chains, But really Vico I don't remember stabbings or any real damage.

Sometimes watching the boys swimming in the canal a cry would go up about a fight and every one would run to the scene expecting blood. But I don't think they liked to toss their hair or ruin the good clobber as they called it and it was just a bit of a tousle.

Loved the shops on the barn and the chipper was great walking home from a dance, I have to say when I am on the bus and pass the Barn now it looks so dilapidated Not the magic playground I loved
              The last I heard about the Barn was that it is full of drugs and you have to be very careful. The flats built where the Hollow was appear to be the heart of the drug suppliers. It sounds terrible. Also a lot of the old buildings that we would have known have been demolished and apartments built in their place. Also the back of the pipes is closed off. I know it does not concern me as I no longer live there, but I sort of object to the loss of the back of the pipes. We used it a shortcut years ago and nobody was ever attacked or threatened there. Maybe the way things have gone, it is better closed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                The last I heard about the Barn was that it is full of drugs and you have to be very careful. The flats built where the Hollow was appear to be the heart of the drug suppliers. It sounds terrible. Also a lot of the old buildings that we would have known have been demolished and apartments built in their place. Also the back of the pipes is closed off. I know it does not concern me as I no longer live there, but I sort of object to the loss of the back of the pipes. We used it a shortcut years ago and nobody was ever attacked or threatened there. Maybe the way things have gone, it is better closed off.
                Ah Vico if the Back of the pipes could only talk what tales it could tell, I had my first Kiss there when I was about fifteen, For weeks afterwards I was so embarrassed when I met him and he seemed to be following me around, He must have liked it.

It was a great short cut and also a great hideout for us kids who would meet boys from Fatima mansions and spent hours just flirting and talking. Years later I met many of these boys now young men in ballrooms and we recalled the many hours we spent there and we laughed at our fond memories. It is sad that the Barn is now a derelict site it was once so vibrant, I am sure you once living closeby are even sadder to see your old hometown so depleted

Comment

• Hi Joan, a little aside on the Teds, I was one for about 8 years firstly in dublin but later in Harlesden London. My mates and I spent a lot of money on our clothes and the last thing we wanted was to get them ripped in a stupid fight, We loved to bop and strut the Halls but all mostly to impress the GiRLs, ha ha it looks like my tie was pushed down my trousers but I assure that would never be, I think it curlewd back under my jacket,Lol. We use to love our fancy shirts as well,
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                    Hi Joan, a little aside on the Teds, I was one for about 8 years firstly in dublin but later in Harlesden London. My mates and I spent a lot of money on our clothes and the last thing we wanted was to get them ripped in a stupid fight, We loved to bop and strut the Halls but all mostly to impress the GiRLs, ha ha it looks like my tie was pushed down my trousers but I assure that would never be, I think it curlewd back under my jacket,Lol. We use to love our fancy shirts as well,
                    Great pickie Arch you look the real deal.

Comment

Ah Vico if the Back of the pipes could only talk what tales it could tell, I had my first Kiss there when I was about fifteen, For weeks afterwards I was so embarrassed when I met him and he seemed to be following me around, He must have liked it.

It was a great short cut and also a great hideout for us kids who would meet boys from Fatima mansions and spent hours just flirting and talking. Years later I met many of these boys now young men in ballrooms and we recalled the many hours we spent there and we laughed at our fond memories. It is sad that the Barn is now a derelict site it was once so vibrant, I am sure you once living closeby are even sadder to see your old hometown so depleted
                      Joan as a matter of curiosity, do you know if there was ever a saint associated with Crumlin way back, or an ancient monastery somewhere in the area. You often find this is the card when you start to research.

Comment

• The origins of the name Tallaght are lost in legend. It s said that the Partholonians, the earliest invaders of Ireland, who settled in the plain between the hills and the sea, were later wiped out by plague, and were buried in the district. Hence it became known as ‘the plague-memorial of the people of Partholoin, or in Irish, ‘Támhleacht muintire Partholóin’, a name later anglicised as Tallaght.

Tallaght first enters history in the third quarter of the eighth century with the foundation of its monastery by Saint Maelruan. Maelruan was the outstanding figure of the 8th-century reform movement in Celtic monasticism, and Tallaght was its most important centre.

We have no life of the saint, who died in 792, but he seems to have made a deep impression on the Irish Church of his time. He was the outstanding figure in the 8th-century reform of Celtic monasticism, and Tallaght was its most important centre. We have valuable information about the life of the monastery in the Rule, Penitential and Customs of Tallaght. Other valuable documents from this foundation are the Martyrology of Aengus, the Martyrology of Tallaght and the Stowe Missal.
                        Three years after Maelruan’s death, the Vikings sacked the monastery of Lambay, and from that day forward one great foundation after another was pillaged and burned. Tallaght’s turn came in 811. Another monastery subsequently rose in its stead, but it was the end of the golden age of Gaelic monasticism.

Tallaght survived as a rural bishopric down to 1152. The last mention of Saint Maelruan’s monastery is in 1125, and in 1179 Saint Laurence O’Toole, the last Irishman to be Archbishop of Dublin before the Reformation, received the grant of Tallaght, with all its possessions, to the See of Dublin, from Pope Alexander III during the Lateran Council.
                        After the Norman invasion, Tallaght, like the See to which it belonged, passed into the hands of Foreign prelates, and it was to suffer in many an Irish raid on the Pale. In 1310 the bailiffs of Tallaght obtained a royal charter to fortify their town with a wall, and fourteen years later Archbishop Alexander de Bykenore, who was also Justiciar (Viceroy) of Ireland, set about building a castle on the site of Maelruan’s monastery. Henceforth Tallaght Castle, with the neighbouring castles at Tymon and Drimnagh, was to be an important link in the line of forts defending the Pale.

Pages: 1 2 3

Comment

• Well Vico he is the oldest name in Tallaght not many in Crumlin except St Agnes St Bernadette St Theresa and St Kevin and of Course St Mary's.

Now Vic if you fgo back to the first few pages of this thread it will tell about the Abbey's etc from about page three

As you can see Tallaght is where the Partholonians settled. As My Mams family the Cliffords go back Yonks in Tallaght I think I may be part Partholonian lol! Most Crumliners however came from city dwellings and soon settled into a lovely community .

It was a wonderful assortment of cultures and even Country people added to the blend of superstition Craic and good neighbourliness it was a recipe for success

Comment

• Raphael I cannot imagine a nice gentleman like you a teddyboy lol!
                            My First love at the age of sixteen was half a teddyboy.

He did not have the black velvet labels but he had the drain pipes and the DA haircut, He did not wear the soapy sole shoes but he had the swagger.

He was a gentle soul now long deceased he died in 1985 very young, We would go to see Scissors and Kay the best Jivers in Dublin over in a tennis club in Rathmines, Jiving was forbidden in all the dance halls only a few clubs would allow it.

The teddy Girls wore very tight skirts to the calves which were very hard to walk in., So many had buttons in the back to allow more movement.

Hair was short and also DA style and chain belts were very popular. I was to young for this apparel although I did wear the tight skirts and the chain belt my hair was long I did wear the Stillettos I bought them in Jacksons in talbot Street the only shop that sold them at that time I guess I was half a teddy girl too lol!

Comment

Well Vico he is the oldest name in Tallaght not many in Crumlin except St Agnes St Bernadette St Theresa and St Kevin and of Course St Mary's.

Now Vic if you fgo back to the first few pages of this thread it will tell about the Abbey's etc from about page three

As you can see Tallaght is where the Partholonians settled. As My Mams family the Cliffords go back Yonks in Tallaght I think I may be part Partholonian lol! Most Crumliners however came from city dwellings and soon settled into a lovely community .

It was a wonderful assortment of cultures and even Country people added to the blend of superstition Craic and good neighbourliness it was a recipe for success

Thanks for that Joan. I went back and had a read of the early pages. I can remember my father telling me that Tallaght meant plague, and that there was a plague there once a long time ago.

It is always very interesting to read the history of a location and then try to imagine how the place looked way back. Places change so quickly as new houses and roads are built. Very often they are hard to recognise even in a period as short as twenty years.

I went to Tallaght Hospital last year, and honestly I had no clue where I was, everything was so different. it is now huge, like a small town. My memory of Tallaght was the main street with the Monastery on one side and Molloy's pub opposite to it. Then at the end of the street, a turn to the right led to Blessington and a turn to the left went to Old Bawn. There was nothing between the village and Old Bawn except corn and barley fields and Ahern's pub on the right. At the end of the road was Mr Bagnell's farm on the left side and Kennedy's pub on the right. Turning right at Kennedys you would get to the stone crusher and the dodder.

Comment

• Ah Vico you have a great recall of Tallaght I to visit there as I have two sisters and a brother there. I have to pass through Crumlin to get there. I remember when my Sisters and my Brother first moved in in the seventies it was a very different place,

Kiltipper where my brother lives had not been built so he started out in Millbrook Lawns. Parties including my Dads funeral was held in Ahernes, After the Square was built I was a weekly visitor and my sisters and I would shop a lot, I went to the cinemas there and I still visit there, Its built up a lot but you can still see the Mountains and often when I visit there is snow where we don't have it on the Northside.

I look at the houses were there once was fields that I once picked blackberries in many years ago,

Comment

Working...
                                X