Toronto and St Patricks Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto and St Patricks Day

Heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning in the context of our ministers heading overseas on St Patrick's Day...

Some Canadian ex-pat texted in to say that St Patrick's Day parades were banned in Toronto up until the late 1980s - but that 12th July parades were no issue.

Can any of our Canadian members verify this ? I found it surprising...
    Everything is self-evident.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning in the context of our ministers heading overseas on St Patrick's Day...

Some Canadian ex-pat texted in to say that St Patrick's Day parades were banned in Toronto up until the late 1980s - but that 12th July parades were no issue.

Toronto was run by ''Loyalist'' for many many years.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post

Comment

Comment

Haven't seen our Toronto correspondent on recently, hope she's okay

stop press:she was on yesterday, just hasn't been posting much

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            Haven't seen our Toronto correspondent on recently, hope she's okay
            Down organising Paddy's day .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
              Down organising Paddy's day .

that'll be it.......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                that'll be it.......
                Using foot-pump to inflate the green hammers ....... .

Comment

Very few people care about that rubbish here in Canada.Immigrants from every nation on earth have broken the power of such organisations because they have nothing in common with them.Canada is a far better place without all of that kind of bigotry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                    Very few people care about that rubbish here in Canada.Immigrants from every nation on earth have broken the power of such organisations because they have nothing in common with them.Canada is a far better place without all of that kind of bigotry.
                    Well said that man from Orangeville.

Comment

The ''Loyalists'' that wanted to keep the US British are probably the very same people who were ''Loyalists'' in Ireland....

I have read a lot about the Loyalists that set up British Canada but cannot find a good connection......

Many ''Loyalists'' stayed in the USA and became Presidents....Probably about ten......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                        The ''Loyalists'' that wanted to keep the US British are probably the very same people who were ''Loyalists'' in Ireland....

I have read a lot about the Loyalists that set up British Canada but cannot find a good connection......

Many ''Loyalists'' stayed in the USA and became Presidents....Probably about ten......
                        I think you are bang on with with that Joe.The were called Scotch Irish.( Scots)

Comment

How are those green hammers coming along ? .

Comment

I think you are bang on with with that Joe.The were called Scotch Irish.( Scots)
                            Ed, in Ireland they somehow became known as ''The English''.....

Comment

The habits of 800 years...

Comment

Working...
                              X