Eamon De Valera aka George (Edward) de Valero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de Valera said;

Nature never intended me to be a partisan leader ......

Every instinct of mine would indicate that I was meant to be a dyed-in-the-wool Tory, or even a bishop, rather than the leader of a revolution.

I ask;
    What made him think he WAS a partisan LEADER ?
    Wasn't he / did he not become a Tory in one sense of the word.
    He wanted to be a priest, but was refused entry to training on the grounds of legitimacy.
    What qualified him to regard himself the LEADER OF A REVOLUTION ?

What was he on about...better..what was he on, when he made that statement ?.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• de Valera said this;

"Constitutional nationalism does not align itself with the British Constitution; it aligns itself with the will of the Irish people." (Irish Independent, 29 Oct. 1917).

Yet he would not accept the will of the Irish people on the question of the Treaty.

Hypocritical or Two Faced ?.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        de Valera said this;

"Constitutional nationalism does not align itself with the British Constitution; it aligns itself with the will of the Irish people." (Irish Independent, 29 Oct. 1917).

Yet he would not accept the will of the Irish people on the question of the Treaty.

Hypocritical or Two Faced ?.
        a clever expedient......
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
          a clever expedient......
          Hardly.....more a downright two faced , say it when it suits ye....hypocrite.

Comment

Hardly.....more a downright two faced , say it when it suits ye....hypocrite.

your words describe every politician on earth.....

Comment

your words describe every politician on earth.....
              There ya go....Sure didn't Dev invent it....

Comment

There ya go....Sure didn't Dev invent it....

he was better at.....creative accounting...

Comment

he was better at.....creative accounting...
                  His real talents lay in, cowardice under fire, character assassination. And being a sleeveen.
                  'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                    His real talents lay in, cowardice under fire, character assassination. And being a sleeveen.
                    I agree with all of the above, (Ireland's Robespierre). I read that he once advised Richard Mulcahy, if he intended to go into politics. To to study economics, and read the Prince. Pat Coogan also said Dev was a devoted student of Machiavelli...... Great thread I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Comment

• My overriding memory of Dev. is from the early 60's when the dockers would refer to him as 'that blindy old Feck up the Park'.
                      Last edited by Lord Talbot de Malahide; 18-03-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by albert View Post
                        I agree with all of the above, (Ireland's Robespierre). I read that he once advised Richard Mulcahy, if he intended to go into politics. To to study economics, and read the Prince. Pat Coogan also said Dev was a devoted student of Machiavelli...... Great thread I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
                        The last te surrender...?....only because nobody gave a flyin fid about his lot....when there was bigger fish te fry......read the story about him lickin the boots of the Brit they held captive in Boland's.....he was keen to get a favourable thumbs up from the captive when it was all over.....His troops nearly had him relieved of his duties, as he slowly lost the plot. He had more jam than Chivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Talbot de Malahide View Post
                          My overriding memory of Dev. is from the early 60's when the dockers that cleared our cargo ship would refer to him as 'that blindy old Feck up the Park'.
                          That's priceless....M'lud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Talbot de Malahide View Post
                            My overriding memory of Dev. is from the early 60's when the dockers would refer to him as 'that blindy old Feck up the Park'.
                            Only 5 posts M'lud and I was looking fwd to a long and funny relationship in here.....anyone know where M'lud's got to.

Comment

• Besides being a divisive public figure, de Valera wrote himself into the private lives of Irish people over six decades.

Abroad, people referred to de Valera’s Ireland in the same way they spoke of Franco’s Spain or Salazar’s Portugal.

Although Ireland was an exemplary western democracy and de Valera won, lost and regained power and public trust through the ballot box, the association with Iberian autocracy derived not just from his predominance and his Spanish father, but the sense that Ireland was an archaic Catholic polity isolated from modern life.

De Valera appeared to be the epitome of a narrow, zealous nationalist, rigid and pure.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• What a con artist....

Comment

Working...
                                X