No announcement yet.

star cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly worked on the cash Desk. Not many icepops there only noisy kids a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when parents sent kids as young as two to get rid of them for a few hours.

Sometimes after the Cash desk closed I went inside to watch new movies or films as we called them. I do remember a girl with a front tray selling orangemaids and tubs of icecream a satin cushion sweets, Going to the Films then was like dining out and at night when the seats were checked there were mice flying around every where lol! I was often sent to the Leinster but I preferred the Star just a short walk home

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
      I worked in the Star 1958 at that time Rock around the Clock had been and gone and I was told many stories by Staff

I left in 1960 to get married at eighteen,. The manager Mr Greeley was a fair man and I was very fond of him. The Fecker on the Door Mr Canavan was not so nice
      Mr Greeley,(salty nose) we called him barred me because we were playing football in the car park on a Sunday morning,Mr Canavan,(Dynamite) we called him, with his big motor bike,lol,varooom varooom.

Comment

Originally posted by tumble twist View Post
        Mr Greeley,(salty nose) we called him barred me because we were playing football in the car park on a Sunday morning,Mr Canavan,(Dynamite) we called him, with his big motor bike,lol,varooom varooom.
        I liked Mr Greeley he gave me a lot of time off and when I got married you were not supposed to return to work but he said he could fix it, I said No because at that time I thought I was going to stay home all day and just Sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam lol! I soon had a rude awakening

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
          I liked Mr Greeley he gave me a lot of time off and when I got married you were not supposed to return to work but he said he could fix it, I said No because at that time I thought I was going to stay home all day and just Sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam lol! I soon had a rude awakening
          Never in a million years was it 4d into the Star Joan,and you were a cashier charging all the kids a tanner,you must have skyed a right few shillings,lol.

Comment

Well I remember 4d one and three and one and nine and sunday balcony two and three and if I was letting them in for fourpence and it was really sixpence I would have been very short at the end of the night lol!

The Star did not have a long life it opened 1954 lovely tintawn carpets, I was there with my Mam I was twelve years old, tea for two everytime someone lit up a cigarette my mam did to. There was a lot of tea drinking in the movie

My Mam was gagging for a cup, she never strayed far from the teapot, She had very dark sallow skin, She always blamed the tea drinking,

The Star closed in 1971 not even twenty years old. When I went there as a patron I loved interval when the whole cinema would do the walk around looking for prospective partners, You went in with your friend and then you swapped seats, so you both had a wear lol!

When I worked there I dreaded interval, There was always a few fights and Mr Canavan trying to run in, But it was always the gentle red haired usher, I can't remember his name who calmed things down

Comment

Hi Joan , Never did anything like that i waited for the right girl to come along and she did, i was a one woman man.

Comment

Went to Star on my first date. DR. NO was showing. Great cinema, or picture house as we called it back then. Ah --the memories.

Comment

dr who ??
                  in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Working...
                  X