X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread Csalem....

Comment

Yes, great thread, the Ford Consul Classic 315 emerging from Rutland Place is at least 20 years old and looks in good nick. There was a beat club in Rutland Place, cant remember the name of it, anyone?

Comment

Thanks.
        It is my hope to add to the history of our city as well as to the history of Dublin buses. After all, the bus has been the dominant form of public transport in our city for the last seventy years and something a lot of people have experience of.

Comment

Originally posted by Csalem View Post
          This week for Throwback Thursday we go back to 1992 and 98FM was still Classic Hits. RH 63 is seen parked between duties on the 31 on Marlborough Street. This stretch of road is currently being dug up for Luas Cross City. Abbey Park on the destination was regularly served by the 32B before being withdrawn from there in 2012. Now no route directly serves Abbey Park. 04/05/1992

Throwback Thursday (6) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
          great thread......32b used to be my bus to baldoyle in the seventies...
          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

This is a great thread, well done Csalem..... as soon as I see a new post I head straight for it. Keep up the great work!

The 42b was the bus that took me home in the early '60s.
            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Just travelling back a mere six years for this weeks update but even so there has been a lot of change in that time. RV 531 loads up on College Street with a 77 to Jobstown. A handy piece of A4 paper in the front windscreen shows it goes "via Airton Road". In August 2011 RV 531 was withdrawn from service. It was one of the last buses deivered with rollerblind destinations (RV 540 being the last). Route 77 was merged with the 27 in September 2011 becoming one long cross-city route from Clare Hall to Jobstown, and adopted the 27 route number. Finally this part of College Street is currently being converted into a tram line for Luas Cross City and will become a tram stop next year. 26/02/2010

Throwback Thursday (8) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

It is a trip back to 1997 this week and a look at a test new livery for Dublin Bus. When it started in 1987 the company adopted a two-tone green livery with an orange stripe. Ijn 1996 when it made its first attempt at a new fleet livery it experimented with...two-tone green and an orange stripe. This experimental livery was applied to RH 86 and AD 24 and following the trial was not deemed a success and Dublin Bus ended up adopting a livery of blue/orange/cream. RH 86 is seen on O'Connell Street with an 11 from Kilmacud to Wadelai park. 03/03/1997

Throwback Thursday (9) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

This is a great thread, thank you Csalem.

Comment

For this week's Throwback Thursday we go back to 1982 and the first Leyland Atlantean in the CIE fleet. D 1 entered service in February 1967 so was already fifteen years old when this photograph was taken. It was withdrawn eighteen months later, Although the first bus in the fleet it was not the first to enter service, that honour falling to D 4. D 1 was the first out of an eventual fleet of 840.
                    D 1 is seen in Parnell Street with a 40C to Finglas. 18/02/1982
                    40C was introduced for the new estates built in South Finglas. Think it used to swing a left at Janelle.

40A used swing a left at Wellmount (this was before the dual carriageway).

40 took a left to the West at Mellowes Road... and the 40B carried on up the North Road to Dubber Cross near St Margarets. I haven't a breeze where they all go now...
                    Last edited by cogito; 08-03-2016, 11:56 PM.
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

The 40A and 40C are no longer with us. Only the 40, 40B and 40D. The 40 still serves most of Finglas but extended on the southside to Ballyfermot and Liffey Valley. It became one of the new cross-city routes a few years ago.

40B goes to Toberburr about six times a day and goes via Mellows Road and Charlestown.

40D goes to Tyrellstown via Cappagh Road and goes every half hour.

The 40 is really the only bus route that serves the estates, as well as the 220. The 140 was introduced a few years ago as the direct bus from Finglas to town.

Comment

It is the tenth of March and the tenth Throwback Thursday. And we are going back twenty years to 1996.
                        KC 9 is seen at the 44A terminus on Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf. This route, along with similar route 30, was replaced on the 17th March 1996 by City Imp route 130. This was the era of when some of the city bus routes were being replaced with more frequent minibus services under the brand of City Imp.
                        The 44A was one of those numbering oddities within Dublin Bus as the 44, 44B, and 44C all operated on the southside while the 44A was confined to the northside.

09/03/1996

Throwback Thursday (10) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

The 40A and 40C are no longer with us. Only the 40, 40B and 40D. The 40 still serves most of Finglas but extended on the southside to Ballyfermot and Liffey Valley. It became one of the new cross-city routes a few years ago.

40B goes to Toberburr about six times a day and goes via Mellows Road and Charlestown.

40D goes to Tyrellstown via Cappagh Road and goes every half hour.

The 40 is really the only bus route that serves the estates, as well as the 220. The 140 was introduced a few years ago as the direct bus from Finglas to town.
                          Thanks for the updates C. It's over 30 years since I've been on a 40 anything...

Is the 35 still going ? - it followed the same route as the 40s but turned right in the village and went up Jamestown Road - served Mckee Road and Clune and Clancy.

Also... the 34s ? - they did the roundabout route into town through Ballygall, Glasnevin - and eventually went down through Church Street quays and turned left at the Four Courts. Terminus was Bachelors Walk.
                          Last edited by cogito; 16-03-2016, 12:02 AM.
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            Thanks for the updates C. It's over 30 years since I've been on a 40 anything...

Is the 35 still going ? - it followed the same route as the 40s but turned right in the village and went up Jamestown Road - served Mckee Road and Clune and Clancy.

Also... the 34s ? - they did the roundabout route into town through Ballygall, Glasnevin - and eventually went down through Church Street quays and turned left at the Four Courts. Terminus was Bachelors Walk.
                            The 34's became the 134 under city imp but the 83 replaced this as a cross city bus in the past decade or more tbh.
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Route 35 left us in 1988. It was replaced by the 19A and the 19A itself was replaced a few years ago by the 9, which runs from Charlestown to Limekiln Avenue.

And as suzieq said the 34 became City Imp 134 around 1995 and then in 2003 became the 83 which runs from Harristown to Kimmage.

Comment

Route 35 left us in 1988. It was replaced by the 19A and the 19A itself was replaced a few years ago by the 9, which runs from Charlestown to Limekiln Avenue.

And as suzieq said the 34 became City Imp 134 around 1995 and then in 2003 became the 83 which runs from Harristown to Kimmage.
                                Thanks Csalem I was not sure what year the 83 became a cross city bus. It used to come down through the village via McKee Rd and through my estate, down ballygall parade and onto Glasanaon Rd but with the Network Direct changes a few years ago we now have to walk to Glasanaon Rd & get it from there if needed. The 83 is a pretty good service tbh, but its the 40D or 140 I get for going to town or work mostly. Sometimes if necessary i will get the 40 or the 9.
                                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X