The Tenements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tenements

Anyone watching 'The Tenements' currently being shown on TV3.

I lived in a tenement until about age 12 and so far the program leaves me wondering what others think of it.

If you've been watching it perhaps you'd share your thoughts.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
    Anyone watching 'The Tenements' currently being shown on TV3.

I lived in a tenement until about age 12 and so far the program leaves me wondering what others think of it.

If you've been watching it perhaps you'd share your thoughts.
    i never lived in a tenement as such.....but we had one room and an outside toilet...gas lighting, and a range to cook on......i have not seen the programmes.....are they about poverty and tenement life.......not all who lived in tenements coud be classed as poor in those days......dublin was not a poor city...it had poor people
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      i never lived in a tenement as such.....but we had one room and an outside toilet...gas lighting, and a range to cook on......i have not seen the programmes.....are they about poverty and tenement life.......not all who lived in tenements coud be classed as poor in those days......dublin was not a poor city...it had poor people
      We too lived in one room with an outside toilet. But our cooking and washing facilities were pretty basic. We did have an open fire but that cost money to use, so we has a gas ring on a flexible hose.

Personal washing was done at a wash stand - a table with a hole in it which held a basin and there was a jug of water to one side.

The weekly wash, children and clothing was done in a tin bath... when children were being washed a fire was lit.

Lighting was gas, though that too was dear so paraffin lamps and candles were used.

We had a radio which was powered by a battery which had to be taken to be recharged every so often.

Comment

I never lived in one either.....but my mam was raised in one in Summerhill Parade..........so I cant make much comment on the programme at the moment......I only saw the one last Wednesday.......and missed the first two.....would anyone be able to show it here I wonder.....be great if they could....
        Last edited by Pammy; 19-08-2011, 05:27 PM.
        It is what it is.

Comment

We too lived in one room with an outside toilet. But our cooking and washing facilities were pretty basic. We did have an open fire but that cost money to use, so we has a gas ring on a flexible hose.

Personal washing was done at a wash stand - a table with a hole in it which held a basin and there was a jug of water to one side.

The weekly wash, children and clothing was done in a tin bath... when children were being washed a fire was lit.

Lighting was gas, though that too was dear so paraffin lamps and candles were used.

We had a radio which was powered by a battery which had to be taken to be recharged every so often.
          we never had a radio, until we moved to an electric flat........i can't remember having no gas, but we would use the oil lamp when we had no mantle..i remember being excited when i would go to the gas company to get a new mantle.....i loved reading...we had a tap in the yard with a enamel basin for washing...when we moved to the flat with electricity it was forever being turned off......but i can only remember the good times...the rabbit stew, sheepsheads (and they were gorgeous) coddles, backbones, knuckles....pigs feet and fried bread made by melting down suet....and i stiil love food like that

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
            I never lived in one either.....but my mam was raised in one in Summerhill Parade..........so I cant make much comment on the programme at the moment......I only saw the one last Wednesday.......and missed the first two.....would anyone be able to show it here I wonder.....be great if they could....
            So far I have the first two eposodes on my computer and I'll probably get the 3rd part tonight. When I have them all together I'll take a chance uploading them to You Tube and then to here, but YT are getting very copyright conscious lately. Still, if possible I'll have them on this site as soon as possible.

It's a pity we can't do direct uploads here.

Comment

So far I have the first two eposodes on my computer and I'll probably get the 3rd part tonight. When I have them all together I'll take a chance uploading them to You Tube and then to here, but YT are getting very copyright conscious lately. Still, if possible I'll have them on this site as soon as possible.

It's a pity we can't do direct uploads here.
              i would like to see them

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                we never had a radio, until we moved to an electric flat........i can't remember having no gas, but we would use the oil lamp when we had no mantle..i remember being excited when i would go to the gas company to get a new mantle.....i loved reading...we had a tap in the yard with a enamel basin for washing...when we moved to the flat with electricity it was forever being turned off......but i can only remember the good times...the rabbit stew, sheepsheads (and they were gorgeous) coddles, backbones, knuckles....pigs feet and fried bread made by melting down suet....and i stiil love food like that
                We may not have had a lot of the material things but there's no doubt the grub was the best.... all fresh.

My doctor who deals with my type2 diabetes says we should all eat as our grandparents did.

Comment

We may not have had a lot of the material things but there's no doubt the grub was the best.... all fresh.

My doctor who deals with my type2 diabetes says we should all eat as our grandparents did.
                  well, we ate a lot of fat..but used it up quickly...when i went into the army at sixteen and a half, i was seven stone thirteen ounces.....within six months i was ten stone........i am now...tooo bloody heavy lol

Comment

Thanks Rashers....
                    It is what it is.

Comment

We lived in several tenements Rashers,Malborough st,Mountjoy sq,Rutland st,Nth gt Charles st.I can remember my mam only having the fire to cook on,when you could afford a stone of coal,or you got a turf voucher.the floors in Charles street were flagstone,as it was a condemned basement,that had been used previously as some sort of a canning place,there was still a lot of the stuff from that business under the stairs that was the steps to the main house.rats were rife,bedbugs too.we had big ticking matresses that were filled with straw.3 of us were bedwetters,so you can imagine the mess.my Mam would get new straw every now and again when she had a few bob to spare,not often.there was no lock on the door,just a huge iron bar that dropped into 2 big hooks either side of the door.Our sheets were floursacks stitched together,our blankets were our coats.I remember Mam putting ddt onto the sheets,like talcum powder,so the bedbugs didnt bite us at night.There was a standpipe in the back garden for everyones water in that tenement.there was also a filthy toilet up the back yard for the whole house to use,we counted 86 people living there recently,my sister and I we kept a bucket in the room for our toilet purposes at night,or if someone was sick.I can remember when my 9 month old Sister died from gastro enteritis,we had a little coffin in the room,Terry Kelly,the local publican paid for that, for her it was lined in purple,I believe it was because it was the Marion year.There was a little shroud,that the nuns had provided with"suffer the little children to come unto me"embroidered on the front.We could not afford any kind of a hearse,and so the man upstairs,Frank Moore,went to Glasnevin with the little coffin on the crossbar of his bicycle.I remember going to the dinnerhouse for the penny dinners sometimes,they would serve you on tin dinnerplates,I loved the rice.Lots more to tell,but I have to save some for my book.lol But my sister tells me the tenements don't tell what it was like for the likes of us.I would love to see it though!
                      Last edited by maire; 19-08-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                        We lived in several tenements Rashers,Malborough st,Mountjoy sq,Rutland st,Nth gt Charles st.I can remember my mam only having the fire to cook on,when you could afford a stone of coal,or you got a turf voucher.the floors in Charles street were flagstone,as it was a condemned basement,that had been used previously as some sort of a canning place,there was still a lot of the stuff from that business under the stairs that was the steps to the main house.rats were rife,bedbugs too.we had big ticking matresses that were filled with straw.3 of us were bedwetters,so you can imagine the mess.my Mam would get new straw every now and again when she had a few bob to spare,not often.there was no lock on the door,just a huge iron bar that dropped into 2 big hooks either side of the door.Our sheets were floursacks stitched together,our blankets were our coats.I remember Mam putting ddt onto the sheets,like talcum powder,so the bedbugs didnt bite us at night.There was a standpipe in the back garden for everyones water in that tenement.there was also a filthy toil;et up the back yard for the whole house to use,we counted 86 people living there recently,my sister and I we kept a bucket in the room for our toilet purposes at night,or if someone was sick.I can remember whe my 9 month old Sister died from gastro enteritis,we had a little coffin,Terry Kelly,the local publican paid for that, for her in that was lined in purple,I believe it was because it was the Marion year.There was a little shroud,that the nuns had provided with"suffer the little children to come unto me"embroidered on the front.We could not afford any kind of a hearse,and so the man upstairs,Frank Moore,went to Glasnevin with the little coffin on the crossbar of his bicycle.I remember going to the dinnerhouse for the penny dinners sometimes,they would serve you on tin dinnerplates,I loved the rice.Lots more to tell,but I have to save some for my book.lol But my sister tells me the tenements don't tell what it was like for the likes of us.I would love to see it though!
                        maire i would love to hear more.....i bet laughter was a big part too...the lesson i learned was fantastic..it is getting me through this life...i laugh at people now when they say they need this and that...they just make poblems, we learned to solve them

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                          We lived in several tenements Rashers,Malborough st,Mountjoy sq,Rutland st,Nth gt Charles st.I can remember my mam only having the fire to cook on,when you could afford a stone of coal,or you got a turf voucher.the floors in Charles street were flagstone,as it was a condemned basement,that had been used previously as some sort of a canning place,there was still a lot of the stuff from that business under the stairs that was the steps to the main house.rats were rife,bedbugs too.we had big ticking matresses that were filled with straw.3 of us were bedwetters,so you can imagine the mess.my Mam would get new straw every now and again when she had a few bob to spare,not often.there was no lock on the door,just a huge iron bar that dropped into 2 big hooks either side of the door.Our sheets were floursacks stitched together,our blankets were our coats.I remember Mam putting ddt onto the sheets,like talcum powder,so the bedbugs didnt bite us at night.There was a standpipe in the back garden for everyones water in that tenement.there was also a filthy toilet up the back yard for the whole house to use,we counted 86 people living there recently,my sister and I we kept a bucket in the room for our toilet purposes at night,or if someone was sick.I can remember when my 9 month old Sister died from gastro enteritis,we had a little coffin in the room,Terry Kelly,the local publican paid for that, for her it was lined in purple,I believe it was because it was the Marion year.There was a little shroud,that the nuns had provided with"suffer the little children to come unto me"embroidered on the front.We could not afford any kind of a hearse,and so the man upstairs,Frank Moore,went to Glasnevin with the little coffin on the crossbar of his bicycle.I remember going to the dinnerhouse for the penny dinners sometimes,they would serve you on tin dinnerplates,I loved the rice.Lots more to tell,but I have to save some for my book.lol But my sister tells me the tenements don't tell what it was like for the likes of us.I would love to see it though!
                          Marie, you could be telling my story. I lived in a tenement on Summerhill, later moving to reconditioned tenement in Lr Gardiner St.

I often went with my Granny to Empress Place to buy the hay, oh and my god the smell of that ddt is still in my nose. That stuff was banned after it was discovered it was killing us and a new one came on the market called 666.

The Tenements is not as accurate as I'd hoped it would be, it seems like the family they are depicting saw little or no hardships.

My wife live in a tenement in Nth Great Charles street too.... No 11 I think.... McLoughlin.

And years later Terry Kelly's became my local. It's a small world.

Comment

both of my parents came from tenements...and up to the day she died my mother couldnt sing enough praises for them....although they lived in poverty by our standards they were a lot happier..the families were closer the neighbors were more family than neighbors and when someone needed help well they all rallied around...

although we lived in a house in cabra, we were raised pretty much like that too....the ddt came out to keep the bugs down....the pots on the hob boiling cos me ma didnt have a shilling for the gas meter...or a holy medal the right size..

id love to see the progam i hope you can load it rashers..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                              both of my parents came from tenements...and up to the day she died my mother couldnt sing enough praises for them....although they lived in poverty by our standards they were a lot happier..the families were closer the neighbors were more family than neighbors and when someone needed help well they all rallied around...

although we lived in a house in cabra, we were raised pretty much like that too....the ddt came out to keep the bugs down....the pots on the hob boiling cos me ma didnt have a shilling for the gas meter...or a holy medal the right size..

id love to see the progam i hope you can load it rashers..
                              there is a little true story about how soft neville chamberlain the british prime minister was...........although a conservative....e was very social minded........he was born into one of the richest families in the uk, a very upper crust upbringing with no cntact with the poor at all......in the early 1920's he was going to a lord mayors ball in stepney in east london all dressed up in tails silk scarves and hat, when a young girl asked his party where they were going to as the got out of the rolls royce chauffeur driven car...the girl commented on how nice they all looked...he explained to the girl that they were going to have a big banquet with the lord mayor...the girl said i hope you have a nice time.......he then asked the where she was going ...the girl replied...i am going home to see if we have got any dinner.....that changed chamberlain's whole life..he became a completely different man after that

Comment

Working...
                              X