No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Raphael your great with the maths and seventy five cents would be nothing today. The ice cream man going around in the icecream van looks for one euro and fifty cents for a ninety nine. I think an orange maid was sixpence so that was dearer then the price of the cinema.

I often sneaked into the one and three seats and got to see the picture again,

But I was often thrown out for laughing soon after the picture started lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
      I am sure he had and sure if he used it who are we to judge him. There is more corruption in our government but for some reason throughout the years corruption is not as sinful if its only money.

Now SEX that is a very sinful thing but I think its only sinful if used with children or with violence
      The Church and it's employees know more about that than we do! Why didn't
      Rome judge them?
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• I don't know any more then you Jembo I have very little interest in the Catholic religion I like to think I am a Christian, Christ handed down Christianity that evolved into Catholism

I go to Mass because he did say in the breaking of bread, "do this in memory of me". I don't believe it has to be on any particular day I don;t believe in indulgences or the precepts of the Church I am just a love God Love your neighbour person.

I do know there has been just as much shite in the protestant Church and most other manmade religions

I never claimed to speak for the Church or the Pope or his employees, So I think you need to ask someone more qualified to answer your question

Comment

• I never remember the Rialto Cockle Boat but maybe Vico living around Dolphins
          barn Might have heard about it
          Attached Files

Comment

• No Joan I never heard of it at all, sorry. I'll ask one of my brothers, they are olders so they might be able to throw some light on it

Comment

• Well seemingly Vico it travelled out to Howth and back to Rialto a few times a day but I never remember it and I have a memory like an elephant lol!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                  My aunt was married on the side alter of Bernadette’s Church,she couldn’t get married on the main alter because her husband to be was not a catholic
                  Another thing I forgot to mention was my Aunt was married on a Friday and she had to get a dispensation off the pope so she could have meat for the dinner.
                  Another time my Uncle was home from Canada and I took him into Harcourt Street to the Irish club on a Thursday night,when we came out he said can we go and get some fish and chips and sit down in the chipper and eat them.We looked All over the place to get a chipper that had seats and we couldn’t find one,I said we can go into a burger joint and get a burger.He said do you see what time it is it’s after twelve and you can’t eat meat on a Friday,I was saying to myself fuck Friday I’m so hungry I could eat the Lamb of god but he insisted we get fish and chips and bring them back to the house.He died last year in Canada and the strange thing was that he told his family that he didn’t want any religion at his funeral.I often wonder what happened because he was a very religious person he used to go to the prison every week and give out communion.

Comment

• Rasher that must have been a very long time ago. I never remember having to get a dispensation, You could always eat meat, It was a fast day but many did not observe it and I can't imagine a hotel refusing to serve it, It was most likely your aunt who felt it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, so she sought the dispensation.

Things have changed so much and not only in the Catholic religion but in most religions. In fact many people prefer to have their own personal relationship with God,

I have sons who will hop into a Church when passing if not rushing to go somewhere. They pray in their own fashion and they are generous and kind, They believe in something greater then this human life and there are many like minded people.

We have come a long way in fact much farther then any other country with our liberal views on Gay Marriage on Abortion and Divorce, There are some I personally don't agree with But Maybe my sons are right, its between us and God.

The Abuse of Children the corruption within the Church has broken people's trust and that will take some repairing, They also need to alter their stance on married priests or women priests, I think women have been treated very badly by the Church, Its like we are second class citizens

Comment

Rasher that must have been a very long time ago. I never remember having to get a dispensation, You could always eat meat, It was a fast day but many did not observe it and I can't imagine a hotel refusing to serve it, It was most likely your aunt who felt it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, so she sought the dispensation.

Things have changed so much and not only in the Catholic religion but in most religions. In fact many people prefer to have their own personal relationship with God,

I have sons who will hop into a Church when passing if not rushing to go somewhere. They pray in their own fashion and they are generous and kind, They believe in something greater then this human life and there are many like minded people.

We have come a long way in fact much farther then any other country with our liberal views on Gay Marriage on Abortion and Divorce, There are some I personally don't agree with But Maybe my sons are right, its between us and God.

The Abuse of Children the corruption within the Church has broken people's trust and that will take some repairing, They also need to alter their stance on married priests or women priests, I think women have been treated very badly by the Church, Its like we are second class citizens
                      It surely must have been yonks ago. I can remember the Friday fast, but if somebody wanted a dispensation all they had to do was ask their local priest. The rules were different in different dioceses, it depended on the bishop.

One of my brothers was working in Athlone, and he and his friends used to go across to the other side of the Shannon for a nosh up, where the bishop was more liberal.

But the Pope never entered into it at all.

Comment

Rasher that must have been a very long time ago. I never remember having to get a dispensation, You could always eat meat, It was a fast day but many did not observe it and I can't imagine a hotel refusing to serve it, It was most likely your aunt who felt it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, so she sought the dispensation.

Joan it was the first wedding I was at I was ten years old that makes it sixty years ago and it was in the Moira hotel (not sure of spelling)I am sure it was nothing to do with Hotel rules it would have been between the church and her family especially her Father my Granfather who wouldn’t dream of eating meat on Friday unless he was told by someone high up sanctioned it such were the times

Comment

• Originally posted by liam
                          hi all ,well i have been just reading the posts on this thread and my sisters family ,has been spoken off a few times ,Yes the Loughran family have been running Crumlin Utd for years Martin and the lads have been doing a great job,all played for crumlin ,my sister R.I.P Their mother Kathleen got Honoured by the F.A.I at an international match for her work for the Crumlin club,
                          Where did I get the name Annie Laughran for some reason I taught that was Martins mother name

Comment

• In Crumlin schools in the late forties and fifties we only got six weeks school holidays and that was even considered too long. I always dreaded going back

And I was always very reluctant to ask my Mam for money for books because I knew with seven of us money was hard to come by.

So there was also the dread of telling the teacher I had not as yet got my books. Sometimes you could buy them second hand and that is what I would do eventually.

My sister who is younger then me insisted on getting her books and my Dad always gave her the money,

I would look at her doing her homework with new copies and all her fresh smelling school books and I wished I was like her. Not for her second hand books.

Now I see the price of my grandkids books and their disgraceful and they no longer seem to have secondhand books

I know my Grandkids will have got lists from their school straight to Mams phone so they will all return next week with all their books bought on line,

Unlike the days of old when your pencil was used down to the last piece and you also had dreadful copy and ink pencils which left your tongue purple and often your hands, I wonder where they went lol!

We never had day trips or weeks away to far flung places, Only place Nuns ever brought us was to Confession once a month

Comment

• Remember working her for about three weeks I thought it was called Glen Abbey which was of course owned by Barnes
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Catholic and a Protestant could not be buried together ancient times One had to be buried outside the graveyard lol!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X