Will I hear those outside sniffle
    as they wipe away their tears
    will I accept my fate in silence
    after all, I've had so many years

will my childhood flash before me
    will I regret the things I've said
    or will they all say as they leave me
    good riddance!, at last the feckers dead
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I remember a close friend of the family died and when my mother told me he was dead i asked her when he was going to the church as people did in them times.She said he wasn't going to the church ,so i said when is he getting buried as people did in them days .He is not being buried he has donated his body to science.It was very strange not being able to go anywhere to pay your respects

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
        I remember a close friend of the family died and when my mother told me he was dead i asked her when he was going to the church as people did in them times.She said he wasn't going to the church ,so i said when is he getting buried as people did in them days .He is not being buried he has donated his body to science.It was very strange not being able to go anywhere to pay your respects
        As a reflection of his life, maybe he wanted to have his last Jar.....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

"The average cost of a basic Irish funeral is around €5,000, whereas a cremation costs €700 to €800," he said. "It can be quite expensive to buy a grave plot and the prices vary dramatically around the country.
          "There is also the additional cost of digging and covering the grave which can range from €600 to €1,000.

"You must also factor in the requirement to tend to the grave thereafter."

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
            College a Surgeons ?.
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I think you could go anywhere you remember the person being in happy times to pay your respects after they die.
              I have a few favourite places that my adult children can go to if they feel the need to remember me in a place. They know these places and have for a very long time known that I do not want a funeral or burial.
              Because I love plants and flowers growing, my grand daughter has said if I die she is going to buy millions of seeds and bulbs to grow so

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                I've never heard of anyone not having a funeral - is this common in Ireland? I must admit it sounds a good idea. I was wondering what kind of funeral to have as I'm not religious anymore so I wouldn't want a Catholic one, but I wouldn't want any sort of new-age humanist one either, so maybe no funeral at all is the way to go.....literally.......
                It's becoming more common in Ireland nowadays Katie. At Mount Jerome Crematorium in Dublin south city....about 10% of cremations don't have a funeral service. I don't want a humanist send off either but my daughter was adamant she was not going to let me go in a plain wooden box so I had to agree to the wicker basket....lol.

I think direct cremation is more common in the UK...my late mother-in-law who lived in the Lake District in Cumbria had a direct cremation...her wishes...and then her ashes to be scattered in the Seychelles where she grew up.
                Also I think people in Ireland are planning their funerals at a younger age now...probably because it's such an expensive event and needs some financial planning.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                  BF....A member of my family does Humanist Obituaries I'll get him to say a few words over your wicker basket
                  Thanks Dinny....

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                    I think you could go anywhere you remember the person being in happy times to pay your respects after they die.
                    I have a few favourite places that my adult children can go to if they feel the need to remember me in a place. They know these places and have for a very long time known that I do not want a funeral or burial.
                    Because I love plants and flowers growing, my grand daughter has said if I die she is going to buy millions of seeds and bulbs to grow so
                    that's lovely Bigby....

Comment

You could always splash out on a Ghanaian coffin......

Comment

Here one for the car enthusiasts amongst us.
                        Attached Files
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

I do think it is important that you tell people you love what your wishes are and that you expect them to honor them. I will be dead and gone so it will be up to them.
                          I have no wish to save to pay exorbitant prices for a wooden box with fancy handles that is going in the fire, or a tiny piece of land in a graveyard, or to pay anyone to say nice things about me. I respect anyone's wishes to have the funeral that they want.
                          Any saving will be for holidays and a party after I am gone.

Comment

New in mortuary science: Dissolving bodies with lye

Since they first walked the planet, humans have either buried or burned their dead. Now a new option is generating interest — dissolving bodies in lye and flushing the brownish, syrupy residue down the drain.

The process is called alkaline hydrolysis and was developed in this country 16 years ago to get rid of animal carcasses. It uses lye, 300-degree heat and 60 pounds of pressure per square inch to destroy bodies in big stainless-steel cylinders that are similar to pressure cookers.

No funeral homes in the U.S. — or anywhere else in the world, as far as the equipment manufacturer knows — offer it. In fact, only two U.S. medical centers use it on human bodies, and only on cadavers donated for research.

But because of its environmental advantages, some in the funeral industry say it could someday rival burial and cremation.

"It's not often that a truly game-changing technology comes along in the funeral service," the newsletter Funeral Service Insider said in September. But "we might have gotten a hold of one."

Getting the public to accept a process that strikes some as ghastly may be the biggest challenge. Psychopaths and dictators have used acid or lye to torture or erase their victims, and legislation to make alkaline hydrolysis available to the public in New York state was branded "Hannibal Lecter's bill" in a play on the sponsor's name — Sen. Kemp Hannon — and the Silence of the Lambs movie character's sadism.

Alkaline hydrolysis is legal in Minnesota and in New Hampshire, where a Manchester funeral director is pushing to offer it. But he has yet to line up the necessary regulatory approvals, and some New Hampshire lawmakers want to repeal the little-noticed 2006 state law legalizing it.

"We believe this process, which enables a portion of human remains to be flushed down a drain, to be undignified," said Patrick McGee, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester.

State Rep. Barbara French said she, for one, might choose alkaline hydrolysis.

"I'm getting near that age and thought about cremation, but this is equally as good and less of an environmental problem," the 81-year-old lawmaker said. "It doesn't bother me any more than being burned up. Cremation, you're burned up. I've thought about it, but I'm dead."

In addition to the liquid, the process leaves a dry bone residue similar in appearance and volume to cremated remains. It could be returned to the family in an urn or buried in a cemetery.

The coffee-colored liquid has the consistency of motor oil and a strong ammonia smell. But proponents say it is sterile and can, in most cases, be safely poured down the drain, provided the operation has the necessary permits.

Alkaline hydrolysis doesn't take up as much space in cemeteries as burial. And the process could ease concerns about crematorium emissions, including carbon dioxide as well as mercury from silver dental fillings.

The University of Florida in Gainesville and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., have used alkaline hydrolysis to dispose of cadavers since the mid-1990s and 2005, respectively.

Brad Crain, president of BioSafe Engineering, the Brownsburg, Ind., company that makes the steel cylinders, estimated 40 to 50 other facilities use them on human medical waste, animal carcasses or both. The users include veterinary schools, universities, pharmaceutical companies and the U.S. government.

Liquid waste from cadavers goes down the drain at the both the Mayo Clinic and the University of Florida, as does the liquid residue from human tissue and animal carcasses at alkaline hydrolysis sites elsewhere.

Manchester funeral director Chad Corbin wants to operate a $300,000 cylinder in New Hampshire. He said that an alkaline hydrolysis operation is more expensive to set up than a crematorium but that he would charge customers about as much as he would for cremation.

George Carlson, an industrial-waste manager for the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, said things the public might find more troubling routinely flow into sewage treatment plants in the U.S. all the time. That includes blood and spillover embalming fluid from funeral homes.

The department issued a permit to Corbin last year, but he let the deal on the property fall through because of delays in getting the other necessary permits. Now he must go through the process all over again, and there is gathering resistance. But he said he is undeterred.

"I don't not know how long it will take," he said recently, "but eventually it will happen."

AP News Researcher Judith Ausuebel contributed to this report.
                            hydrolysis, funeral homes, cremation, lye, crematorium, NH, funeral director, residue, cadavers, cylinders, animal carcasses, drain, bodies, Brownsburg, Brad, Mayo Clinic, planet, widget, Article, 4828249
                            I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                            Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                              New in mortuary science: Dissolving bodies with lye

Since they first walked the planet, humans have either buried or burned their dead. Now a new option is generating interest — dissolving bodies in lye and flushing the brownish, syrupy residue down the drain.

The process is called alkaline hydrolysis and was developed in this country 16 years ago to get rid of animal carcasses. It uses lye, 300-degree heat and 60 pounds of pressure per square inch to destroy bodies in big stainless-steel cylinders that are similar to pressure cookers.

"I don't not know how long it will take," he said recently, "but eventually it will happen."

AP News Researcher Judith Ausuebel contributed to this report.
                              http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...4828249&page=1
                              Looks good te me....I'm working on me funeral details now....just to get ahead of the game so to speak....

Now Bernard M....he took the biscuit when he sorted arrangements, paid for and went to his OWN funeral.... check this out.......brilliant.
                              Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                              X