Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinner
    Who are you visiting...?

Don't forget your Catlick cat-o-nine-tails......
    St Conleth.

St Conleth’s Reformatory School in Daingean, County Offaly was different from all the other institutions inquired into by the Commission. It was a reformatory and, unlike the children in industrial schools, most of those in a reformatory had been convicted by the courts of criminal offences that would in the case of adults have been punishable by imprisonment or penal servitude. At the time of conviction, boys were aged between 12 and 17, and were committed for between two and four years, but the period of detention could not extend beyond their 19th birthday.
    Saint Conleth was an Irish hermit and metalworker, also said to have been a copyist and skilled illuminator of manuscripts. He is believed to have come from the Wicklow area.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Dreadful place by all accounts.....
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Dreadful place by all accounts.....
        They should have sent you there for robbing Bikes....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

St Conleth.

My Brother was sent there and he stole ...Nothing......

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
            They should have sent you there for robbing Bikes....
            They never caught ME....

Comment

My Brother was sent there and he stole ...Nothing......
              He was seen off if he went there for no committing an offense......bad juju.

Comment

He was seen off if he went there for no committing an offense......bad juju.
                One of his ''gang'' set fire to a shop.......The others did not know about it but they all got charged.....

I believe the arsonist ended up in Grangegorman....He had a history of starting fires.....

Comment

One of his ''gang'' set fire to a shop.......The others did not know about it but they all got charged.....

I believe the arsonist ended up in Grangegorman....He had a history of starting fires.....
                  oh well....blame by association.

Comment

• Although I rarely post on this forum but given the nature of this subject I feel that all people should be free to discuss this topic given its seriousness.

As a child of a large very family, I was often kept home by my mother to help her when needed.

I liked school and I was a good pupil ahead of the class despite my regular absence, when I was often kept home to help my mother with the younger children.

I could easily have stayed at home and still have learned as much as I would have otherwise done at school as my mother was a good tutor.

My mother had a very larger number of pregnancies of which 9 children survived and I was the third eldest and probably the most dependable in helping her with the younger children.

My mother also had a number of illnesses which culminated in her death at a young age.

To all intents and purposes It was obvious that I had the ability to help my mother as she needed and at the same time learn as much from her, as I would ever ever have learned from a useless curriculum, unsuitable for a nation yet to escape its past in a time when the mail boat and other methods freely transported its people to england and other places further afield. Many of those people were children escaping away from Ireland to relatives elsewhere

Eventually I was fronted to the children's court and I was considered for a placement in an industrial school. My mother collapsed onto the floor and I can still hear her screaming and begging the court to give me another chance which he did, after he eventually warned her to make sure I returned to schooling which I did, and with no effort I passed my the primary exam which I then left school.

I was traumatised by that experience to the degree I could not understand its logic nor could I understand the brutality of its nature to a child helping a sickly mother.

One of my younger brothers was sexually assaulted in Malborough house by one of the "managers" whilst incarcerated for a short time on a stupid offence
                    which again broke my mothers heart.

My mother went to a source in the media about it but it eventually led to nothing as all crimes in those places were ignored. That brother died a few years later from a then incurable disease. He was 16 years old.

This is not a flippant subject and it should be freely discussed in any forum without restrictions. The "poor" people of Ireland were brutalised by it leaders and it is this reason that we now, when we look back on those brutal times with the madness of the catholic church and the fancifulness of the then well off. who never set foot in those places except if they were from the legal profession or religious orders.

Comment

Dreadful place by all accounts.....
                      I remember running around that bit of hilly grass where the trees are.....

Dublin to Daingean....In a Charabanc....

The journey seemed endless, driving around the winding country roads.....stern faces on the passengers, the canals that were a place of adventure and enjoyment in Dublin, now seemed foreboding and eerie......

It was not a visit to see criminals who deserved what they got and were resigned to do their ''time''.....This was a visit to see young boys who the State had robbed from their families and needed to be brainwashed and beaten into being ''good Catholic members of Society'......They were not overlorded by wardens who did their jobs for money to raise their families...They were ruled by an ideal that was alien to civilisation.....

'

Comment

• Originally posted by narcissus
                        Although I rarely post on this forum but given the nature of this subject I feel that all people should be free to discuss this topic given its seriousness.

As a child of a large very family, I was often kept home by my mother to help her when needed.

I liked school and I was a good pupil ahead of the class despite my regular absence, when I was often kept home to help my mother with the younger children.

I could easily have stayed at home and still have learned as much as I would have otherwise done at school as my mother was a good tutor.

My mother had a very larger number of pregnancies of which 9 children survived and I was the third eldest and probably the most dependable in helping her with the younger children.

My mother also had a number of illnesses which culminated in her death at a young age.

To all intents and purposes It was obvious that I had the ability to help my mother as she needed and at the same time learn as much from her, as I would ever ever have learned from a useless curriculum, unsuitable for a nation yet to escape its past in a time when the mail boat and other methods freely transported its people to england and other places further afield. Many of those people were children escaping away from Ireland to relatives elsewhere

Eventually I was fronted to the children's court and I was considered for a placement in an industrial school. My mother collapsed onto the floor and I can still hear her screaming and begging the court to give me another chance which he did, after he eventually warned her to make sure I returned to schooling which I did, and with no effort I passed my the primary exam which I then left school.

I was traumatised by that experience to the degree I could not understand its logic nor could I understand the brutality of its nature to a child helping a sickly mother.

One of my younger brothers was sexually assaulted in Malborough house by one of the "managers" whilst incarcerated for a short time on a stupid offence

My mother went to a source in the media about it but it eventually led to nothing as all crimes in those places were ignored. That brother died a few years later from a then incurable disease. He was 16 years old.

This is not a flippant subject and it should be freely discussed in any forum without restrictions. The "poor" people of Ireland were brutalised by it leaders and it is this reason that we now, when we look back on those brutal times with the madness of the catholic church and the fancifulness of the then well off. who never set foot in those places except if they were from the legal profession or religious orders.
                        A truly heartfelt post, and very informative to someone who's on the outside looking in like myself. Really brings home the utter stupidity and inherent cruelty of the authorities in Ireland at that time.
                        Last edited by KatieMorag; 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by narcissus View Post
                          Although I rarely post on this forum but given the nature of this subject I feel that all people should be free to discuss this topic given its seriousness.
                          narcissus, thank you for sharing your story. My heart hurts for you and your family.

Comment

• narcissus, anto, quinner you have all been touched personally by this blight that hangs over ireland..I cant imagine how your families, you feel, the cause and ripple effect of this goes on for generations....My heart bleeds for you.

The church and state interaction particularly during the 50/70s was horrific and had repercussions and we ask how did this even happen?? easy....Fear....fear of god, fear of the after life, fear of the priests and church....and the huge fear of being called out during mass by the priest and exposed to your neighbors. fear of being refused a sacrament, and fear of losing your children...everyone had their own fear...and when you fear like this in your daily life..its very difficult to look around you and see the fear and help needed by others...

in our family there was a sick mother too and the oldest daughter slated for institutional life because of missed school time...what the judge decided to do was let the daughter move in with an aunt who would guarantee school attendance....which she did...but also what she did was pretty much use the girl as a slave around her own house...whenever the birth mother came to visit or the girl tried to visit her birth mother..some nosy neighbour was always ready and willing to run over and tell the canon burke what was happening..and over hed come like the hobs of hell spouting god honesty and his threats of alter exposure ...was he concerned about the abuse the girl was getting..nope...but he was concerned about her even seeing her own mother...why did the snitch snitch???? because one of her daughters was in england having an illegitimate baby shes already been called out from the alter..and while canon burke was busy watching someone else it took the spot light of her..

Horrible horrible horrible times......

what you guys went thro as families doesnt even bear thinking about and justice for you is very slow coming around....considering the old boys network is still alive and well.....

Comment

Not really....
                              It is the whole god-fearing country that is at fault......
                              The masses bowed to the rapists and sadists and gave them the adoration that allowed them to get away with what they did.......
                              The propaganda about the Eternal Flames still works, but the real shoite was to give the masses the illusion that if they FOLLOWED they were somehow superior to others......
                              IMO they were the ''Catholic Nazis''.....and still are.....
                              I have seen people turn their noses-up at my Mother and actually cross to the other side of the street......
                              They did that to the kindest woman on this earth......
                              I agree Joe. Those who turned a blind eye for fear of repercussion were complicit in the abuse of children, unwed mothers and the poor in general. They were covering their own backsides.

Comment

• The mindset appears to live on.....with these so called charitable religious people still dishing out their own kind of warped justice.....some neck.

Nun alleged to have blocked unmarried mother's promotion at Catholic school
                                http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/r...ol-812919.html

Comment

Working...
                                X