Comment

Rathmines
            Attached Files
            https://twitter.com/OldeEire
            http://getoutofthatgarden.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jinksdub View Post
              Rathmines
              Somebody ask Lombard what happened to the glass in the front of Lee's Shop!!!!
              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Portobello/Rathmines Photos

Saw nice new book in window of Hanna's Bookshop, Rathmines Road, on Portobello. Cover shows Portobello bridge and area like we never saw before!!
                And in colour. Great to see old barges and 'Birds' and opening of lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossy View Post
                  Saw nice new book in window of Hanna's Bookshop, Rathmines Road, on Portobello. Cover shows Portobello bridge and area like we never saw before!!
                  And in colour. Great to see old barges and 'Birds' and opening of lock.
                  This it, Mossy ?

Curtis, Portobello.jpg

Portobello by Maurice Curtis, published earlier this year by the History Press Patrick Comerford Two of my photographs have been used t...
                  Everything is self-evident.

Comment

great photos everyone.

Comment

The Dubliners-Grace

The Dubliners-Grace.

Heart-Touching song by Jim McCann about the last night of one of the 1916 Easter Rising Leaders Joseph Mary Plunkett and his Childhood Sweetheart Grace Gifford - 'Grace'

Irish artist, Grace Gifford, was born in Rathmines, Dublin in 1888. Although born into a Unionist family and brought up a Protestant, Grace became a supporter of the Nationalist cause. She also became interested in Catholicism and, in 1916, she was received into the Catholic Church. She met and fell in love with the poet, Joseph Mary Plunkett, ("I See His Blood Upon the Rose"), who was a leader of the 1916 Easter Rising. In December 1915, Joseph proposed to Grace, and unaware of the plans for the Rising, she planned her wedding for Easter Sunday, 23rd April 1916. Plunkett was one of the members of the Irish Republican Brotherhood Military Committee responsible for planning the Rising, which was to take place on Easter Sunday. Due to Joseph Plunkett's health, the wedding was postponed and the Rising was delayed by a day. However, on Easter Monday, 24th April 1916, Joseph Plunkett stood with the leaders on the steps of the G P O as Padraic Pearse read the Proclamation of a Republic. Fierce fighting ensued but, realising the hopelessness of the situation, the rebels surrendered on 29th April. Following the surrender, the leaders were held in Kilmainham Gaol and condemned to death by firing squad.

Grace was determined to proceed with her marriage to Joseph Plunkett. Shortly after 11:30 pm on Wednesday 3rd May, Grace Gifford and Joseph Plunkett were married in the chapel of Kilmainham Gaol. Fr Eugene McCarthy performed the marriage rite, after which the groom was returned to his cell. Within hours, Grace was a widow! At 3:30 am the next morning, Joseph Mary Plunkett was executed.

In June 1922, Ireland was riven by Civil War. Many Republicans were arrested and incarcerated without trial or charge. Grace Plunkett was arrested in February 1923 and held in Kilmainham Gaol until May. While there, she painted pictures on the walls of her cell. One of them, known as the "Kilmainham Madonna", depicts the Virgin Mary in a long blue veil and with the Child Jesus resting on her left arm. Also, to her left, is a flowering Easter lily. The artist framed her painting with a beautiful Celtic border. This lovely painting is there to this day.

Grace Gifford Plunkett never remarried. She died suddenly on 13th December 1955. Following her funeral at St Kevin's Church, Harrington Street, she was buried with full military honours in the Plunkett family grave in Glasnevin Cemetery.

Comment

Rathmines

Borrowed this from someone on "old Dublin Photos" forum
                        Attached Files

Comment

More borrowed from "Old Dublin Photos" . I am interested in finding out about the Ice cream shop (i think it was at 236 rathmines rd lower) that was my Grand Uncles and his wife's shop. In around 1911 to 1930-40s the best photo i seen had a tram in front of it unlucky for me ,but lucky for them....business must have been good ;-)
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is the Photo with the tram , that is in front of the shop( I think)

Comment

Working...
                            X