Piles Buildings Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    Very rich kids with proper sandals and all. Not the oul plastics. Anyone remember them?
    Plastic sandals were a godsend for the poor people of Dublin, those who couldn’t afford leather ones

Comment

• Originally posted by Joxer View Post
      Photo outside of No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
      Photo Back yard No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
      Photo No.7 Piles Buildings on extreme right. In the direction of Golden Lane
      Photo of Wood Street with telegraph pole taken from out of Piles Buildings with No. 7 on the left

The ramblings of a child who grew up in No.7 Piles Buildings in the 1950s.

I grew up in No. 7 on the ground floor. No. 7 was on the Wood Street end of Piles Buildings. The outside wall on the right next to No. 7 had a kind of dent in it which was very handy for climbing. The coal was stored in No. 7 under the stairs which led up to the people who lived above. I used to eat the coal when I was young. The scullery led out into the yard. In the yard on the left there was a horizontal gravestone slab. Above us lived a man and a woman with no children. He played drums in a band. Nellie was our next door neighbour. An older boy in the next block (Donnelly?) to us used to love scaring the living daylights out of me. The Adair's lived in No. 6 Piles Buildings.

The shops I remember are: Sadie Whelan's shop in Bride Street, where messages were done without money. Everything was on the slate. Siney's the grocer in Golden lane. The radio repair shop on the corner of Golden Lane and Bride Street. The shop on the other side of Golden Lane, just left of the entrance to Piles Buildings, where ice lollies were sold. I remember being forbidden to buy ice lollies because of the polio outbreak in Dublin. The hatch in Peter's Street where you bought broken biscuits from Jacobs factory. Always hoping that there would be some broken fig-rolls in the bag. The dairy shop in Bride Street opposite the Bird Market where milk and bread was sold. The milk would be poured into a can to be carried home. I ate a little bit of the batch loaf on the way home.

The good functioning mechanical water pump at the end of Piles Buildings at the junction of Golden Lane. The drawing of a football-cup on the wall on the right before you entered Piles Buildings from Golden Lane. Being very jealous of the children in the Iveagh Buildings in Bride Street who used to get a currant bun and a glass of milk at the Childrens' Centre in Bull Alley (Beano, Bayno) every Tuesday I think it was. The outings in Patrick's Park. I remember climbing the telegraph pole in Wood Street at the end of Piles buildings by splaying my legs between the wall and the telegraph pole.
      Thanks for that photo joxer...The telegraph pole you refer to is in Wood street outside number 4. it is in the street the other side of our yard wall. I refer to 'our back yard but it is as you can see on the side of our flat.
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Joxer View Post
        Photo outside of No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
        Photo Back yard No. 7 Piles Buildings, 1950
        Photo No.7 Piles Buildings on extreme right. In the direction of Golden Lane
        Photo of Wood Street with telegraph pole taken from out of Piles Buildings with No. 7 on the left

The ramblings of a child who grew up in No.7 Piles Buildings in the 1950s.

I grew up in No. 7 on the ground floor. No. 7 was on the Wood Street end of Piles Buildings. The outside wall on the right next to No. 7 had a kind of dent in it which was very handy for climbing. The coal was stored in No. 7 under the stairs which led up to the people who lived above. I used to eat the coal when I was young. The scullery led out into the yard. In the yard on the left there was a horizontal gravestone slab. Above us lived a man and a woman with no children. He played drums in a band. Nellie was our next door neighbour. An older boy in the next block (Donnelly?) to us used to love scaring the living daylights out of me. The Adair's lived in No. 6 Piles Buildings.

The shops I remember are: Sadie Whelan's shop in Bride Street, where messages were done without money. Everything was on the slate. Siney's the grocer in Golden lane. The radio repair shop on the corner of Golden Lane and Bride Street. The shop on the other side of Golden Lane, just left of the entrance to Piles Buildings, where ice lollies were sold. I remember being forbidden to buy ice lollies because of the polio outbreak in Dublin. The hatch in Peter's Street where you bought broken biscuits from Jacobs factory. Always hoping that there would be some broken fig-rolls in the bag. The dairy shop in Bride Street opposite the Bird Market where milk and bread was sold. The milk would be poured into a can to be carried home. I ate a little bit of the batch loaf on the way home.

The good functioning mechanical water pump at the end of Piles Buildings at the junction of Golden Lane. The drawing of a football-cup on the wall on the right before you entered Piles Buildings from Golden Lane. Being very jealous of the children in the Iveagh Buildings in Bride Street who used to get a currant bun and a glass of milk at the Childrens' Centre in Bull Alley (Beano, Bayno) every Tuesday I think it was. The outings in Patrick's Park. I remember climbing the telegraph pole in Wood Street at the end of Piles buildings by splaying my legs between the wall and the telegraph pole.
        As you look into Wood street from Arthurs lane there are four windows painted white on either side., each of those are separate two room Flats with their entrances around the corner in Wood street. The first floor one on the right nearest the cameraman was occupied by a couple and their two children.
        If I remember right the mans name was Hans Mader, it was said that he was in the Luftwaffe and on a raid over Liverpool when his plane was attacked by the RAF. The damaged plane made it to Ireland where it (crash)landed and he became a ''POW''...He was severely wounded having been shot in the chest several times (it was said). He spent a lot of time being treated in St Kevin's and when he got better he got a job there and did not return to Germany after the War. He also met his future wife there.
        Last edited by quinner; 13-09-2023, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
          As you look into Wood street from Arthurs lane there are four windows painted white on either side., each of those are separate two room Flats with their entrances around the corner in Wood street. The first floor one on the right nearest the cameraman was occupied by a couple and their two children.
          If I remember right the mans name was Hans Mader, it was said that he was in the Luftwaffe and on a raid over Liverpool when his plane was attacked by the RAF. The damaged plane made it to Ireland where it (crash)landed and he became a ''POW''...He was severely wounded having been shot in the chest several times (it was said). He spent a lot of time being treated in St Kevin's and when he got better he got a job there and did not return to Germany after the War. He also met his future wife there.
          I can remember the rent for number four Piles Buildings Wood street was 4 old pennies per week..

Comment

Working...
          X