UK Should Threaten Ireland says UKIP Spokesman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    so why are the DUP/Brexiteers so against it? What possible advantage could it have for them? ie what is their case?
    Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!

Comment

Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!
      Can't we all ????

The Unionists are slowly slowly losing the battle and they know it....but with the eyes of the world on true democracy and the 'Peace Agreement' there's no way they can go back to their disgustingly underhand and illegal gerrymandering ways....as used to be ....with Westminster and the rest of the world turning a blind eye to their bigoted grand apartheid toward the rightful heirs to the land.

Both they and their methods of subjugation toward their fellow citizens were a total disgrace.......such as burning people out of their homes as seen in recent months in other parts of the world......and for that they can only reap what they have sown.

If nothing good ever comes from this ridiculous so called Brexit situation, then sorting the wheat from the chaff in Ulster will be a major plus imo, for what it's worth.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Ireland will not accept a re-partitioning of the island under any circumstances irrespective of any shouting and roaring from the DUP and Brexiteer headbangers.
        So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
          So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.
          That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
            Yep, many's the Queens shillings were sent home to feed the poverty stricken Irish.The old Brits were not that bad to the Irish with their open door policy. Thing is, can Ireland afford to loose the United Kingdom's €13.7 billion (12.7%) of all annual Irish exports?
            I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
            Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Even if we accept (and there are many who wouldn't) that the Leave result in last year's referendum was largely due as a reaction against illegal immigration, then you'd have to question the logic of voting for Brexit in those circumstances - EU nationals are not and were not 'illegal immigrants'.

Secondly, Ireland and the UK are outside of the Schengen area - foreign nationals including EU citizens have to produce their passports at Heathrow or Dublin and this was not about to change with Brexit. The CTA or common travel area between the two countries was and is able to operate on the basis that both countries operated external border controls so in effect covered each other's territories for illegal immigration. It's worth bearing in mind that the great majority of illegal immigrants in Ireland and the UK are people from outside the EU who entered legally - but never left when their visas expired.

The British government and leading Brexit campaigners have maintained from the outset that the CTA will remain intact in the same way it has since 1921 - notwithstanding the fact, as alluded to by yourself, that 'sovereignty and control of the UK borders' was one of the catch calls deployed during the referendum campaign.

One of the more absurd features of recent weeks has been the appearance on the airwaves of figures such as Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Moggs and Jeffrey Donaldson of the DUP arguing that a hard border was never going to be an outcome of Brexit- unless the Irish were the ones to erect it.!! Whatever happened to 'control of the UK borders' etc ??
              Last edited by cogito; 02-12-2017, 08:45 PM.
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Even if we accept (and there are many who wouldn't) that the Leave result in last year's referendum was largely due as a reaction against illegal immigration, then you'd have to question the logic of voting for Brexit in those circumstances - EU nationals are not and were not 'illegal immigrants'.
                I didn't say the leave result was a reaction to illegal immigration....read my post again...

Comment

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK.

Comment

Interesting ten days....

Comment

Interesting ten days....
                      Were you covering the events for the Eagle?

Comment

Were you covering the events for the Eagle?
                        Yep..hard to keep up.

And yerself... brought in extra Eire correspondents ?

Comment

Yep..hard to keep up.

And yerself... brought in extra Eire correspondents ?
                          I don't have the budget for that......

Comment

I don't have the budget for that......
                            Get a few interns .

Comment

I have never read anywhere of how the British are going to control illegal immigrants coming across from the Republic . My guess is that its the elephant in the room and without saying so , in case it upsets the DUP , they will check passports in Britain from both Jurisdictions .

Comment

Valid points!! I agree. It's not as simple as some would imply

Comment

Working...
                                X