The Liberties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    My mother never used currants for baking, she claimed they were dirty fruit, so she only used raisins and sultanas. Maybe she knew something you didn't DT
    You bet she did....she musta tasted them before me
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Wonder how many miss all the horse nd cow shyte splattered all over the streets.
      And smell of city farmyards ....one family in Cork Street let out part of a pig yard to an ice cream maker ffs...Such was the Liberties.
      Mind you, many’s a Tivo entrance fee was procured from selling a bucket of ‘pig swill’ to the owners.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
        Mind you, many’s a Tivo entrance fee was procured from selling a bucket of ‘pig swill’ to the owners.
        LMAO how right you are...just reminded me of scraping up the horse guano around the roads and gettin a tanner or two from the rich people on SCR.. used on their flower beds and veg patches. Where there's muck dors brass eh ?

Comment

• Every night without fail bang on six o clock outside Fitzgerald's Pub (later The Bunch of Grapes) you heard a trumpet rendition of Oh mein Papa from a character we knew as Fluther....he played all the pubs of the Liberties....always the same tune and when finished he nip inside the pub with his hat and collect a few bob for his troubles....no idea what his real name was....but he was part of life in the Liberties of the 50/60's.

Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 08-11-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

LMAO how right you are...just reminded me of scraping up the horse guano around the roads and gettin a tanner or two from the rich people on SCR.. used on their flower beds and veg patches. Where there's muck dors brass eh ?
            Always remembered to put a few small stones in the bucket, cos they weighted it.

Comment

Always remembered to put a few small stones in the bucket, cos they weighted it.
              LOL...jaze JBo ye wor honing yer business skills even then .....datz why you are a very successful man...

Comment

• Jam jars and bottles... 1 penny or halfpenny I've forgotten .....but was it the brown or the green bottles that got more...think was green was worth more but could be wrong.

Comment

LOL...jaze JBo ye wor honing yer business skills even then .....datz why you are a very successful man...
                  Look after the penny's and the pounds look after............

Comment

Look after the penny's and the pounds look after............
                    As me oul ma used te say.
                    She had various tins for various bill funds. One for the gas meter shillins...one for food...one for the Diddley man, one for the 'cheque' club....and this and that....a graet moneymanager as they were called....never lots but always just enough with a few bob tucked away for emergencies.

Comment

As me oul ma used te say.
                      She had various tins for various bill funds. One for the gas meter shillins...one for food...one for the Diddley man, one for the 'cheque' club....and this and that....a graet moneymanager as they were called....never lots but always just enough with a few bob tucked away for emergencies.
                      Always kept a few bop in every tin , eh. She must have a great fund manage.

Comment

Always kept a few bop in every tin , eh. She must have a great fund manage.
                        LOL..The original NON hedge budgeting funds If it didn't go in the tin the bills might not be paid. So wages 'given up' (as the used to say) on a Friday and immediately the necessary amounts were put aside in each tin for bills etc, what was left over after bills was the food spondoolics ...and the XMas club subs paid for the turkey and ham.. Though most of it wasn't there for long....except the mad money for when times were tight.....If times got really tight she saw Ikey the Jewish moneylender

Comment

Every night without fail bang on six o clock outside Fitzgerald's Pub (later The Bunch of Grapes) you heard a trumpet rendition of Oh mein Papa from a character we knew as Fluther....he played all the pubs of the Liberties....always the same tune and when finished he nip inside the pub with his hat and collect a few bob for his troubles....no idea what his real name was....but he was part of life in the Liberties of the 50/60's.

Was he not called Fluter Kavanagh, a boer war and WW1 vet. I used to work for CJ Cremen MPSI in Meath St and Fluter came in every so often for meds.

Comment

Was he not called Fluter Kavanagh, a boer war and WW1 vet. I used to work for CJ Cremen MPSI in Meath St and Fluter came in every so often for meds.
                            Jaze ye might well be right there JBo...I bought a book yrs ago and in all the books I bought on those times never one mentioned oul Fluther, until this one book and what a surprise...there was Fluter's name in 'lights'... I was beginning to believe I'd dreamt he was real lol
                            Few I've spoken to remember him but you.ve convinced me he was the real McCoy.

Comment

Jaze ye might well be right there JBo...I bought a book yrs ago and in all the books I bought on those times never one mentioned oul Fluther, until this one book and what a surprise...there was Fluter's name in 'lights'... I was beginning to believe I'd dreamt he was real lol
                              Few I've spoken to remember him but you.ve convinced me he was the real McCoy.
                              He was about 5.6 in hight and smoked a dirty old pipe. He would sometimes hang out with another old vet who was badly shell shocked and used to march around the Liberties in battle dress uniform and full marching order. I recall he had tattoos on his temples. A harmless auld soul if ever there was one.

Comment

Jam jars and bottles... 1 penny or halfpenny I've forgotten .....but was it the brown or the green bottles that got more...think was green was worth more but could be wrong.
                                2lb jam jars and green bottles fetched more but if you got your hands on clip glass stopper lemonade bottles you were lucky and it was gold to find a soda syphon.

Comment

Working...
                                X