• Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

• Harolds Cross Bridge
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
        Dead on DT. Kelly's corner is at the end of Harrington Street, and the South Circular Road. There used to be a bank on the right hand side as you came along from Leonard's corner. On the left was the Carmel Hotel and then Brady's chemist on the corner. I think Bradys is still there but modernised.

If you turned right you were in Richmond Street going towards Rathmines bridge. If you turned left you were in Camden Street. If you went straight ahead you were in Harcourt Road.If you kept going straight you would have ended up in Adelaide Road at the Eye and Ear Hospital.

Stein's Opticians were in Harcourt Road. They had a window the shape of an eye. I remember Mr Stein, he was very nice. Harcourt Street was a turning to the left off Harcourt Road.

I can't remember which bank was on the right hand side of Kelly's corner. Can you DT. I do recall that the Northern bank was at Leonard's corner.
        Yep AIB...still there.
        Attached Files
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Doyle's at Phibsborough V2.... hence Doyle's Corner
          https://www.facebook.com/JohnDoyles/
          doyles at leonards corner is correct...the slowest place in Dublin to get a pint poured!!, if you were in a round of three for instance one pint would be poured at a time....its the last pub I recall seeing the barmen wearing white aprons....it was a strict union house...great pint though ….if you could wait!!
          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
            Harolds Cross Bridge
            Great pictures Joan. I remember my mother talking about the Dark Lanes. She told me that a girl was strangled there at one time. It does look quite lonely, such a contrast to today.

It must be some kind of shadow, but it looks like there is a figure up on top of the convent.

Comment

• It looks like a small statue Vico. My Mam growing up in Crumlin long before the houses were built. She would talk about strange places like the dark lanes and my brother who was an electrician in the ESB would jeer and say all that happened before we had electricity

Many ghostly were told around the fire at night and they often caused sleepless nights and I wonder was my brother right was it because there was no electricity.

My Brothers said when electricity came the Banshee disappeared, I have to say she was often mentioned during my schooldays but usually by children with country parents lol!

Comment

It looks like a small statue Vico. My Mam growing up in Crumlin long before the houses were built. She would talk about strange places like the dark lanes and my brother who was an electrician in the ESB would jeer and say all that happened before we had electricity

Many ghostly were told around the fire at night and they often caused sleepless nights and I wonder was my brother right was it because there was no electricity.

My Brothers said when electricity came the Banshee disappeared, I have to say she was often mentioned during my schooldays but usually by children with country parents lol!
                You didn't hear much about the Banshee in Dublin, more in country areas. Although I remember meeting a young man once who swore his mother used to hear the Banshee. They were a Dublin family.

Comment

• I had a few country neighbours Vico on the way to school their children would talk about the Banshee and how they had heard her crying through the night, They usually said someone was going to die. I being of a sensitive nature would be quite frightened and I would be afraid for my parents

Usually as it often happens someone would die and my fears would go away until the next time.

My Dad said the caterwauling was just cats and I think he was right I have often heard them crying late at night or early morning.,

We would never pick up a broken comb though, they were always supposed to belong tthe Bansheee and it was told if she threw her comb at you death would follow. Morbid times, But kinda exciting lol!

Comment

I had a few country neighbours Vico on the way to school their children would talk about the Banshee and how they had heard her crying through the night, They usually said someone was going to die. I being of a sensitive nature would be quite frightened and I would be afraid for my parents

Usually as it often happens someone would die and my fears would go away until the next time.

My Dad said the caterwauling was just cats and I think he was right I have often heard them crying late at night or early morning.,

We would never pick up a broken comb though, they were always supposed to belong tthe Bansheee and it was told if she threw her comb at you death would follow. Morbid times, But kinda exciting lol!

Recently I was talking to somebody who is from the country about the Banshee. He heard the stories growing up about the Banshee and her warning, but he never heard anything about the comb. When I told him that if you found a broken comb you would never pick it up, he was amazed.

Comment

• I asked my daughter had she ever heard of a Banshee and she hadn't a clue what I was talking about. I think the Banshee died out with our generation,

Here are photos of a place I spent days in the fifties, I caught so many bees with my piece of cardboard and jamjar. Now its vastly improved
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                          Recently I was talking to somebody who is from the country about the Banshee. He heard the stories growing up about the Banshee and her warning, but he never heard anything about the comb. When I told him that if you found a broken comb you would never pick it up, he was amazed.
                          We had the ''regulation'' Bogeyman and Banshee........

One got you out of the toilet quick when somebody else wanted to use it.......The other got you in at night......

I remember the Banshee's comb had so many teeth missing.....
                          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• I asked my mate who is from the country if he ever heard of the basshee and he said he was married to her.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                              I asked my mate who is from the country if he ever heard of the basshee and he said he was married to her.

Does she like wailing....?
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• very old Crumlin
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X