X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for posting these pictures and the comments. They are treasures.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      The woman who is credited with coining the phrase 'Wan n Wan'....One of the first chippers in Dublin was Guissepi Cervi's in Pearse Street....and Gio's missus Palma wasn't much cop with the old Ingerlish language....Apparently she'd ask the customers as she pointed "Uno de questo Uno de quello" Loosely translated = One of this and one of that....and there was born the good old 'Wan n Wan' that we all loved.

On the subject of old Chippers.....This pic shows 3 of the famous Lombardi's from the chipper on the corner of Stoneybatter and Blackhorse Place early 50's....it's Tina Lombardi left....her Ma at the back.....and who's thought to be the sister who ran and dished out the Knickerbocker Glory's in the Pillar Cafe way back when....remember havin one there meself.
      Ah the old "wan and wan".
      In the chipper on Decies rd ballyfermot, there was a beautiful (well endowed) young Italian lady, who had the attention of every youngfella for miles around.
      One day I overheard the comment,
      would ya look at the wan and wans on yer wan.
      Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
        Ah the old "wan and wan".
        In the chipper on Decies rd ballyfermot, there was a beautiful (well endowed) young Italian lady, who had the attention of every youngfella for miles around.
        One day I overheard the comment,
        would ya look at the wan and wans on yer wan.
        That's a great quip...bring on the battered, breadcrumbed an deep fried nipple nuggets wit diddy sauce eh.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Back to this one ...for what it's worth....The Virgin Mary and her Three Brass Balls......

I'd seen the pic before but never took any notice of the statue top left, between the two houses, holding three (brass) balls....so I had to go diggin.

Amazing where it leads to; I now know the place was the Pawn Shop owned by J. O'Reiley at 39 Gardiner Street Upr, at the junction with Dorset Street. Notice the board by the railings behind the workers heads.

More diggin revealed three more balls built into the render at the top of the chimney stack at the back of the building, which can still be seen even today, seems there was a big white hand painted under the three balls advertising the Pawn Shop back in the day. (can just make them out in pic below).

Another look around with Goog Earth shows the same plinth and what seems to be the same statue.....of the Virgin Mary ....but Mary holding a pawnbrokers sign, doesn't fit somehow....unless it is supposed to symbolize mercy for the poor or somesuch......so what's gone on ?.

Well, some more diggin and it transpires the place was once the headquarters of the charity Viatores Christi...a religious outfit who send missionaries around the world te help the poor etc....but that was long after the place stopped being a Pawn Office......I'm not sure....but at least I satisfied some of me curiosity. Though I can accept the Virgin Mary with no balls......I never thought I'd see a statue of her with any balls ....but three balls !!!.

The only other hint.... is an alteration to a brick behind and to the right of her head....which might have held a bracket of some kind to support the balls....which might mean the statue was there before the Pawn Shop....and the balls were hung on a bracket slightly aft of the statue, creating an optical illusion from the angle of the original pic.

I'm retiring beat now by the conundrum, so it over to you on the spot Dublin photo sleuths to get the definitive on this mystery.....

JG !!! ye couldn't drop in there some time, No 39, and ask them the question for me could ye ?.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
            WW1 celebrations in dublin city 1919.
            Doin a bit or trawling.....I found a seemingly authoritative and comprehensive report from UCD students, including this pic as the King's Visit 1911....where all other sites with it say 1919, which I believed to be correct. Any ideas ?.
            Attached Files

Comment

Back to this one ...for what it's worth....The Virgin Mary and her Three Brass Balls......

I'd seen the pic before but never took any notice of the statue top left, between the two houses, holding three (brass) balls....so I had to go diggin.

Amazing where it leads to; I now know the place was the Pawn Shop owned by J. O'Reiley at 39 Gardiner Street Upr, at the junction with Dorset Street. Notice the board by the railings behind the workers heads.

More diggin revealed three more balls built into the render at the top of the chimney stack at the back of the building, which can still be seen even today, seems there was a big white hand painted under the three balls advertising the Pawn Shop back in the day. (can just make them out in pic below).

Another look around with Goog Earth shows the same plinth and what seems to be the same statue.....of the Virgin Mary ....but Mary holding a pawnbrokers sign, doesn't fit somehow....unless it is supposed to symbolize mercy for the poor or somesuch......so what's gone on ?.

Well, some more diggin and it transpires the place was once the headquarters of the charity Viatores Christi...a religious outfit who send missionaries around the world te help the poor etc....but that was long after the place stopped being a Pawn Office......I'm not sure....but at least I satisfied some of me curiosity. Though I can accept the Virgin Mary with no balls......I never thought I'd see a statue of her with any balls ....but three balls !!!.

The only other hint.... is an alteration to a brick behind and to the right of her head....which might have held a bracket of some kind to support the balls....which might mean the statue was there before the Pawn Shop....and the balls were hung on a bracket slightly aft of the statue, creating an optical illusion from the angle of the original pic.

I'm retiring beat now by the conundrum, so it over to you on the spot Dublin photo sleuths to get the definitive on this mystery.....

JG !!! ye couldn't drop in there some time, No 39, and ask them the question for me could ye ?.
              Where's the balls gone from mary's statue yea right.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                Where's the balls gone from mary's statue yea right.
                LMBO...Naah....they might lock ya up...." scuse me ! could you tell me a bit about the statue on the building ?"

Comment

LMBO...Naah....they might lock ya up...." scuse me ! could you tell me a bit about the statue on the building ?"
                  They'd probably still lock me up.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                    They'd probably still lock me up.
                    Ahh ye oul scaredy custard....sure it wouldn't be the first time my spies tell me Here's the old 15 Pillar to Dartry via Rathmines...it's still a 15 bus is it not.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Field Marshal FitzRoy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan, GCB PC ...Here with his cockade ....Lost an arm just like Nelson...poor beggar....later in the Crimean War....Raglan Road, Dublin is named after him.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• The Grand Canal
                        Attached Files
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          That's te Royal 1902 JBo...Phibsborough on the side of the wagon.

Comment

• Girlie Guides 1970's.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Kingston lodge

Hi Mark, I remember the original gates to Kingston lodge, exactly as in your photo. We were afraid to go up to the ruins as we believed the were human bones and skulls amongst the rubble . Do you have any photos of the house itself? Only I have never seen it.

Thanks

Joe

Comment

• Merchants Road East Wall 1932.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X