Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > Arts & Culture

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8591  
Old 16-01-2014, 06:36 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 11,578
Default

Chiselers up te no good on wasters in McLean's Lane, Old Dublin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 McCleans Lane '692.jpg (47.9 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8592  
Old 16-01-2014, 06:56 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 11,578
Default

Ollie Goldsmith; What a learned Irishman, and him with his stacha in front of Trinity.
"Life is a journey which must be traveled no matter how bad the roads or accommodations"

Oliver Goldsmith was an Anglo-Irish novelist, playwright and poet, who is best known for his novel The Vicar of Wakefield, his pastoral poem The Deserted Village, and his plays The Good-Natur'd Man and She Stoops to Conquer.
Born: November 10, 1730, Ballymahon, Republic of Ireland.
Died: April 4, 1774, Brick Court, London.Buried: Temple Church.
Plays: She Stoops to Conquer, The Good-Natur'd Man.
Education: Leiden University (1756), Trinity College, Dublin (1750),University of Edinburgh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 Ollie Goldsmith 1700's.jpg (34.5 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8593  
Old 16-01-2014, 08:23 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 11,578
Default Molyneux Yard through 54a Thomas Street.

Saw Rashers ask a question about the location of this this first pic at another place, (no not dat place another one)...and I remembered I had some in me stash.....

The first one is someones bad attempt at making a 'young' pic look old. The second pic would be more like it. The 3rd pic is still 'young' but looks right in...The 4th pic is as it was way back and pic 5 is more up to date.

I think the place must be connected in some way with William Molyneux of Peter Street (big house) fame, there can't have been many Mollynuxes in Dublin loike, now can der. Love the 3 wheeled barrow and the handcart. The street sign says Molyneux Yard.

A point of interest; The round stones up the lane, and which we used to see all over the city at one time....are called Jostle Stones....put there in days of yore to stop horse cart wheels jostling the corners and brickwork of the buildings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moly 4.jpg (25.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Moly 3.jpg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Molyneux Yard 5.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Molyneux Yard through 54a Thomas Street.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Molyneux Yard 2.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8594  
Old 16-01-2014, 08:31 PM
quinner's Avatar
quinner quinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
Saw Rashers ask a question about the location of this this first pic at another place, (no not dat place another one)...and I remembered I had some in me stash.....

The first one is someones bad attempt at making a 'young' pic look old. The second pic would be more like it. The 3rd pic is still 'young' but looks right in...The 4th pic is as it was way back and pic 5 is more up to date.

I think the place must be connected in some way with William Molyneux of Peter Street (big house) fame, there can't have been many Mollynuxes in Dublin loike, now can der. Love the 3 wheeled barrow and the handcart. The street sign says Molyneux Yard.

A point of interest; The round stones up the lane, and which we used to see all over the city at one time....are called Jostle Stones....put there in days of yore to stop horse cart wheels jostling the corners and brickwork of the buildings.

maybe they were also to stop the axle hubs from gouging grooves in the walls.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8595  
Old 16-01-2014, 08:33 PM
antmel's Avatar
antmel antmel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: now swords was whitehall
Posts: 660
Default where

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
Ollie Goldsmith; What a learned Irishman, and him with his stacha in front of Trinity.
"Life is a journey which must be traveled no matter how bad the roads or accommodations"

Oliver Goldsmith was an Anglo-Irish novelist, playwright and poet, who is best known for his novel The Vicar of Wakefield, his pastoral poem The Deserted Village, and his plays The Good-Natur'd Man and She Stoops to Conquer.
Born: November 10, 1730, Ballymahon, Republic of Ireland.
Died: April 4, 1774, Brick Court, London.Buried: Temple Church.
Plays: She Stoops to Conquer, The Good-Natur'd Man.
Education: Leiden University (1756), Trinity College, Dublin (1750),University of Edinburgh.
Where 's mildred
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8596  
Old 16-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Rashers's Avatar
Rashers Rashers is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: My chair.
Posts: 29,541
Default

The piebald horse. Is that the Cow Lane or maybe the real name is Little Britain St which is/was off Parnell St. Called the Cow Lane because there were abbatoirs in the lane?

Wrights. I can't make out the street name, it wouldn't be Marino Mart? The one in Marino Mart (a fish shop) used to have a sign in the window that stated, "If it swims we have it", so we used to go in and ask for a mermaid and then run like the clappers because the man used to chase us, usually with something lethal looking in his hand!
__________________
'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.
.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8597  
Old 16-01-2014, 08:57 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 11,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinner View Post
maybe they were also to stop the axle hubs from gouging grooves in the walls.....
and that as well.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8598  
Old 16-01-2014, 09:00 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 11,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashers View Post
The piebald horse. Is that the Cow Lane or maybe the real name is Little Britain St which is/was off Parnell St. Called the Cow Lane because there were abbatoirs in the lane?

Wrights. I can't make out the street name, it wouldn't be Marino Mart? The one in Marino Mart (a fish shop) used to have a sign in the window that stated, "If it swims we have it", so we used to go in and ask for a mermaid and then run like the clappers because the man used to chase us, usually with something lethal looking in his hand!
I tell you what the street sign says in the post R, That's a funny Fish n Chipper story. The piebald is at the back of the land...still Molyneux Yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moly Yard.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8599  
Old 16-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Rashers's Avatar
Rashers Rashers is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: My chair.
Posts: 29,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
I tell you what the street sign says in the post R, That's a funny Fish n Chipper story. The piebald is at the back of the land...still Molyneux Yard.
Thanks DTW. I thought the one with the piebald looked like our lane for having a ware before leaving the mot home anywhere in the Summerhill area. I can be excused though because it was usually only seen in the dark.
__________________
'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.
.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8600  
Old 16-01-2014, 09:10 PM
quinner's Avatar
quinner quinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
I tell you what the street sign says in the post R, That's a funny Fish n Chipper story. The piebald is at the back of the land...still Molyneux Yard.

I think there was a wholesalers on the left side of the entrance....sweets etc,,,,,,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
dublin photos, old dublin, old photos of dublin

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright dublinforum.net 2009 - all rights reserved