Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting piece .....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting piece .....

    From 6.50.onwards ....... public being " CONDITIONED " ..... valid point ? .

    The Pat Kenny Show Highlights - GoLoud Player

    Would any of ye be swayed by the look of your carrot ???????? .​

    Last edited by Twobob; 06-01-2024, 02:22 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Twobob View Post
    From 6.50.onwards ....... public being " CONDITIONED " ..... valid point ? .

    The Pat Kenny Show Highlights - GoLoud Player

    Would any of ye be swayed by the look of your carrot ???????? .​
    Judging by the state of the fields in North Co. Dublin and the weather on the continent people will have to accept lower grade this year or pay a hefty premium. Cauliflowers in France were selling for €5 each on the open market last week. 15% to 20% of the Irish potato harvest didn't make it out of the ground due to rain. The UK has it just as bad so expect Chipper prices to rise again going into summer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

      Judging by the state of the fields in North Co. Dublin and the weather on the continent people will have to accept lower grade this year or pay a hefty premium. Cauliflowers in France were selling for €5 each on the open market last week. 15% to 20% of the Irish potato harvest didn't make it out of the ground due to rain. The UK has it just as bad so expect Chipper prices to rise again going into summer.
      And then their little ' add on ' disguised within .

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

        Judging by the state of the fields in North Co. Dublin and the weather on the continent people will have to accept lower grade this year or pay a hefty premium. Cauliflowers in France were selling for €5 each on the open market last week. 15% to 20% of the Irish potato harvest didn't make it out of the ground due to rain. The UK has it just as bad so expect Chipper prices to rise again going into summer.
        Couldn’t there be a bumper crop of potatoes available in mid June if we get good weather from the March planting ? ​​​​​ Probably not the right type for chips though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bojangles View Post
          Couldn’t there be a bumper crop of potatoes available in mid June if we get good weather from the March planting ? ​​​​​ Probably not the right type for chips though.
          Yeah wrong type, Maris Piper due to its high dry matter and large size is the favourite of chip shops here. The rich soils of Lincolnshire are ideal for growing and its a main crop so August harvest at earliest and then you might not hit the dry matter target so really September or October before you start to see volume. We do grow some here but not on the scale or average tuber size of Lincolnshire.

          First earlies and second earlies planted in March are usually quick growing but lower yields and not as high in dry matter. If you fry potatoes with low dry matter they often go brown and soak up the oil so you get a greasy chip.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

            Yeah wrong type, Maris Piper due to its high dry matter and large size is the favourite of chip shops here. The rich soils of Lincolnshire are ideal for growing and its a main crop so August harvest at earliest and then you might not hit the dry matter target so really September or October before you start to see volume. We do grow some here but not on the scale or average tuber size of Lincolnshire.

            First earlies and second earlies planted in March are usually quick growing but lower yields and not as high in dry matter. If you fry potatoes with low dry matter they often go brown and soak up the oil so you get a greasy chip.
            Yes that’s what one of the Macaris told me about the browning. I have a few acres in Wexford, one potato grower rented them for a few years , I don’t think he did too well but from memory it was 2013 2014. Very dry years and sandy soil.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bojangles View Post

              Yes that’s what one of the Macaris told me about the browning. I have a few acres in Wexford, one potato grower rented them for a few years , I don’t think he did too well but from memory it was 2013 2014. Very dry years and sandy soil.
              My cousin does early season glasshouse potatoes. About 2 acres, plants them in early December, harvests in April and May before outdoor Wexford kicks in. It's a low yield high value crop but risky due to late frosts. He could heat the crop but not worth the investment and his customers have a price point they won't cross. Brexit has made it harder and harder to source potato seed with no one wanting the hassle of importing Scottish seed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

                My cousin does early season glasshouse potatoes. About 2 acres, plants them in early December, harvests in April and May before outdoor Wexford kicks in. It's a low yield high value crop but risky due to late frosts. He could heat the crop but not worth the investment and his customers have a price point they won't cross. Brexit has made it harder and harder to source potato seed with no one wanting the hassle of importing Scottish seed.
                Yes , it’s seems a bit of a myth about potato growing in Ireland, but the Maris Pipers are very specific to the catering trade. We do produce good quality Rekords , Pinks etc with low moisture content. Isn’t there weevils established in soil that hasn’t been sprayed that would destroy the crop.? The grower that rented our fields said he had to leave it for a year before he sowed to make sure they were removed. Mind you , I thought they left a lot behind after the machine harvesting , over 10% at least.

                Comment


                • #9
                  When I was growing up my dad used to grow Kerr Pinks, I remember them tasting ok, but I also remember that he would not grow them in the same place the following year. He would leave a year in between and sow something else in the meantime. He did tell me that there was a reason for that but I don't remember the reason, it is too long ago.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bojangles View Post

                    Yes , it’s seems a bit of a myth about potato growing in Ireland, but the Maris Pipers are very specific to the catering trade. We do produce good quality Rekords , Pinks etc with low moisture content. Isn’t there weevils established in soil that hasn’t been sprayed that would destroy the crop.? The grower that rented our fields said he had to leave it for a year before he sowed to make sure they were removed. Mind you , I thought they left a lot behind after the machine harvesting , over 10% at least.
                    Did you have it in pasture before he rented?

                    Pasture land is notorious for weevils, one of the risks when using fresh land for spuds.

                    Ireland mainly grow spuds for direct consumer use or crisps. Crisps usually need a special type of spud like Saturn which would still be rock hard in the same time it takes to boil them.

                    The 10% left behind might be the first initial grade. Pest damage, green spuds, rots, damaged by the harvester, or too small. Root crops have even worse grade off rates, parsnips have a horrendous 40% grade wastage. Better to grade off as much as possible in the field than spend money on fuel transporting it to the next grading stage.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

                      Did you have it in pasture before he rented?

                      Pasture land is notorious for weevils, one of the risks when using fresh land for spuds.

                      Ireland mainly grow spuds for direct consumer use or crisps. Crisps usually need a special type of spud like Saturn which would still be rock hard in the same time it takes to boil them.

                      The 10% left behind might be the first initial grade. Pest damage, green spuds, rots, damaged by the harvester, or too small. Root crops have even worse grade off rates, parsnips have a horrendous 40% grade wastage. Better to grade off as much as possible in the field than spend money on fuel transporting it to the next grading stage.
                      Yes , a few years with horses grazing. The place was fields were covered in ragwort at the time. It seemed to thrive in that environment. It’s funny you should say that about the crisps , he said he grew them for Keoghs crisps. The field is about 14 acres, very sandy and hilly. Down in Wexford they are known as kettle kame , depressions left over from the ice age.
                      That’s a huge percentage waste in parsnips, I take it that a lot of the unattractive veg goes to the catering/ hotel trade ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                        When I was growing up my dad used to grow Kerr Pinks, I remember them tasting ok, but I also remember that he would not grow them in the same place the following year. He would leave a year in between and sow something else in the meantime. He did tell me that there was a reason for that but I don't remember the reason, it is too long ago.
                        2 main reasons, cuts down on pests for that crop and also gives the land a chance to replenish itself

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That makes sense Kell

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It’s the same with Tomato plants you are advised not to plant in the same area the next year

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X