Ever meet anyone famous ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever meet anyone famous ?

Well my big one was Frank Sinatra. He was coming through Dublin Airport with his entourage , fans everywhere trying to get his autograph. I was the only one he spoke to.

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    Well my big one was Frank Sinatra. He was coming through Dublin Airport with his entourage , fans everywhere trying to get his autograph. I was the only one he spoke to.
    Get out of the way. joke bojangles

Comment

Originally posted by DP Kilfo View Post

Get out of the way. joke bojangles
      Ah DP you’re too quick, cudda caught someone with that one.

Comment

Ah DP you’re too quick, cudda caught someone with that one.
        And I would have put the F word in as well.

Comment

Working in woodworkers in the 70s / 80s Maurice o Doherty , Neil Tobin ,Twink, Dickie Rock, some guy from Horslips but never got starstruck, dickie was by far the nicest .

Comment

And I would have put the F word in as well.
            All in good fun . Sonny Knowles was doing a gig in a nursing home when he noticed a senior gentleman staring, Sonny asked the man do you know who I am ? Ask Matron answered the man

Comment

We used to have a greeter in Dublin Airport and when anyone important came through he would welcome them to Ireland. Sinatra came in one time and the greeter approached him and said welcome to Ireland Mr Sinatra. Sinatra said who the fuck are you, he was a little bollox

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post

We used to have a greeter in Dublin Airport and when anyone important came through he would welcome them to Ireland. Sinatra came in one time and the greeter approached him and said welcome to Ireland Mr Sinatra. Sinatra said who the fuck are you, he was a little bollox
                I heard that story, yer man was on annual leave at the time and insisted he be brought in that day to greet Sinatra.

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post

Didn't know that story ,and the Brendan Grace story wouldn't give that impression , Be nice to people on the way up you might meet them on the way back down.

Comment

I had tea in my parents house with Oskar Shindler. He was in Ireland advising a Jewish family on their business in Dublin. Friendly man who had a habit of pulling up his trousers with his wrists. Honestly. Try it.
                    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                      I had tea in my parents house with Oskar Shindler. He was in Ireland advising a Jewish family on their business in Dublin. Friendly man who had a habit of pulling up his trousers with his wrists. Honestly. Try it.
                      Tell us more , when was that Rashers ?

Comment

I met & spoke with Mike Hawthorn, Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Giacomo Agostini, Mike Hailwood, Murray Walker & many other drivers & riders.
                        Most importantly, Bob McIntyre, my hero at the time.

Not necessarily considered famous but being a motor sport fan to me they were.
                        I Met Don McLean in a pub in upstate
                        New York where he & some neighbours had adjourned having been out all day searching for a young girl who had gone missing. Luckily they had found her.

I did a lot of work for Keith Floyd in Kinsale & he cooked dinner for himself & me on a few occasions.

Comment

Was going into work one time up in Dublin Airport , got a lift in and was getting out at the departures and there right in front of me was Martin Sheen , as I walked towards him [ the way I had to go ] I just said good afternoon Mr Sheen , he turned and had that big smile on his face , put out his hand and says good afternoon sir with a firm handshake , polite as anything , a very quick natter about his stay over in Galway ...... true gentleman .

Comment

I heard many such stories about Sinatra, I gather he was an ignoramus. I always though it was sad that for all the years Mike Hawthorn raced he was safe, then when he retired he was killed in a road accident, though it was said he was going too fast

Comment

Met... Rupert Everret literally walked into him I was coming out of Easons and he was going in we bumped into one another , we were both very apologetic....and we talked for a couple om minutes....very nice gut

Also remember meeting Van Morrison walking through Stephens Green . I was always a big fan of his and could help myself and stopped to talked to him.....I told him i was a fan and he asked what was my favourite album....I said the usual " Moondance " "Astral Weeks"..etc.....but I said I always had a soft spot for " Hard Nose The Highway"....he said it was his favourite ..so all was good... he's nothing like he's made out to be, found him friendly.

Also met Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore......Knew Phil Lynott well enough ....he actually got passes especially for me to a gig in "The Joy Inn" in Parnell Square....it was the very first gig and dance I was ever at.
                              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Working...
                              X