Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Elgin Marbles.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Elgin Marbles.

    I see the Greek government are ratcheting up their campaign to have them returned to Greece. They were stolen by the Ottomans and , supposedly sold to the Earl of Elgin who in turn sold them to the British Museum. So the British won’t entertain handing them back to the rightful owners! They are hiding behind the validity of some obscure document that The Earl got from the Ottomans during the transaction. Are the UK afraid that if they give the marble back it would open up the question of ownership of all the other antiquities stolen around the world.

  • #2
    Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    I see the Greek government are ratcheting up their campaign to have them returned to Greece. They were stolen by the Ottomans and , supposedly sold to the Earl of Elgin who in turn sold them to the British Museum. So the British won’t entertain handing them back to the rightful owners! They are hiding behind the validity of some obscure document that The Earl got from the Ottomans during the transaction. Are the UK afraid that if they give the marble back it would open up the question of ownership of all the other antiquities stolen around the world.
    Imagine so , wonder how many they have ..... in total .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Twobob View Post

      Imagine so , wonder how many they have ..... in total .
      One of my favourite arguments.....Who owns what on this earth?.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by quinner View Post

        One of my favourite arguments.....Who owns what on this earth?.....
        Morning Quinner ......... to what extent ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Everything that belonged to someone or somewhere else and a claim could be made for their return.....''Land , Property, Grave goods, Art etc etc etc'. Regarding the ''Marbles' I have very little interest in where they are as I will never go to see them.
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by quinner View Post
            Everything that belonged to someone or somewhere else and a claim could be made for their return.....''Land , Property, Grave goods, Art etc etc etc'. Regarding the ''Marbles' I have very little interest in where they are as I will never go to see them.
            You may posses anything ...... but not own it , so .......... enter legality .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Twobob View Post

              You may posses anything ...... but not own it , so .......... enter legality .
              Yes , we can just walk into a house and take over it. Or pick a nice car off the road drive off. After all who owns what !

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Twobob View Post

                You may posses anything ...... but not own it , so .......... enter legality .
                William The Conqueror came to England and made the laws....So he legally owned everywhere....Same thing all over the world....

                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bojangles View Post

                  Yes , we can just walk into a house and take over it. Or pick a nice car off the road drive off. After all who owns what !
                  Small clip on the C.B show this morning regards .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bojangles View Post

                    Yes , we can just walk into a house and take over it. Or pick a nice car off the road drive off. After all who owns what !
                    If the Greeks come and get their Marbles I will not remark on the non-event.....My visits to museums ended when I was six or seven in Dublin...My interest in something like the great wall in China was the fate of the millions of workers that died building it...

                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If the Brits are forced to return the marbles, then it will open up a can of worms, and they will have to return a lot of antiquities that they stole from Egypt, Howard Carter and his lot

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                        If the Brits are forced to return the marbles, then it will open up a can of worms, and they will have to return a lot of antiquities that they stole from Egypt, Howard Carter and his lot
                        LOL ''Forced'' is not a word that needs to be used for the sake of Museums and art galleries all over the world. I think politics should not come in to it as it confuses the issues...If Elgin and Carter etc spent money then that money should be paid and given to charity.?
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Carter was essentially a grave robber, he seriously damaged mummies trying to fit them into boxes to transport. No doubt it cost him a lot of money, in fact it cost him his life, but I don't agree that any money should be paid back, it was spent on personal gain to steal something belonging to somebody else.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                            Carter was essentially a grave robber, he seriously damaged mummies trying to fit them into boxes to transport. No doubt it cost him a lot of money, in fact it cost him his life, but I don't agree that any money should be paid back, it was spent on personal gain to steal something belonging to somebody else.
                            Lol I have read that in the Past The Americas and Australia and half of Europe at one time belonged to somebody else. The world is awash with robbers throughout history.. What Carter and Elgin brought to the Museums are still available for people who want see them to go and see them. I suggested they went back and charity got few bob in the meanwhile. what was mentioned was taken care of for years and years.....
                            The German army threatened to blow up the Parthenon etc unless their forces were given unhindered passage through Greece on their retreat from Southern Europe....For whatever reason they were given that guarantee by Churchill and elements of the British army stayed in Greece after the War to help the Greek Government fight the Communists....Greece could have ended up behind the ''Iron Curtain'' but it didn't.........
                            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by quinner View Post

                              Lol I have read that in the Past The Americas and Australia and half of Europe at one time belonged to somebody else. The world is awash with robbers throughout history.. What Carter and Elgin brought to the Museums are still available for people who want see them to go and see them. I suggested they went back and charity got few bob in the meanwhile. what was mentioned was taken care of for years and years.....
                              The German army threatened to blow up the Parthenon etc unless their forces were given unhindered passage through Greece on their retreat from Southern Europe....For whatever reason they were given that guarantee by Churchill and elements of the British army stayed in Greece after the War to help the Greek Government fight the Communists....Greece could have ended up behind the ''Iron Curtain'' but it didn't.........
                              If I remember right, the grandmother of Nicholas Cage (American Actor) was murdered by the Greek Communists...in Greece...
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X