Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin Church in Cabra West

Hi All
    When the Precious Blood was opened in the 50s.
    Does anyone know where the Tin Church was moved too.
    I heard it was over to Coolock or Rahany .
    They had a Similar Tin Church in Gloucester St in the 40s.
    We had a room close by before we moved to Cabra West .
    Thank You for any information//
    Shilo 39

Originally posted by shilo39 View Post
    Hi All
    Shilo 39
    Was there not a Tin Church in Finglas as well ? This one Sean McDermott....is this the one ye mean ?.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Was there not a Tin Church in Finglas as well ? This one Sean McDermott....is this the one ye mean ?.
      I called by the Parish Office the other week for a copy of my baptism certificate and was so surprised to find the church completely empty. I sat down in the row at the back and thought about years ago when there’d always be a few women kneeling down holding onto their Rosary Beads and each of their heads covered with a scarf as they prayed to God to help them find the money for their rent or to give them the patients of a saint as they tried to cope with the husband and his drink. One of our old neighbours used to call into the church each morning on his way to work and light a candle for his father and mother. He used to park his bike in the church porch. And I also thought back to a time when this church was packed to the rafters with people of all ages attending midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. Do you remember all the men and the lads down the back of the church? Father O’Farrell often refered to them as ‘Duck Hunters’ because they’d always be down on one knee. And then there was Friday Night Sodality with a banner for each road in the parish proudly displayed on a pole which fitted through two brass rings on the outside of the row nearest the wall.

I looked up at the altar and visualised all my relations attending my sister’s wedding and her in tears because she was leaving home. I don’t know why because she was back to the Ma’ every other day for one thing or another. And to think that this was the church I was baptised in all those years ago. It’s such a pity the original baptism font is gone. I was the first child in our family to be baptised here because the church wasn’t opened until 1951. Most of the others were baptised in the Pro Cathedral or in the old tin church on Ballygall Road near Finglas.

Can you see on the right hand side of the church up next to the altar were the statue of Holy Mary is?…well that’s where the Crib was every Christmas. Myself and the brother used to sit up at the front just to see Baby Jesus in the manger. And of course I thought about all the times I went to Confession here over the years. During Lent we’d have to do the Station of the Cross and all the statues were covered over, I don’t know why.

I suppose I felt a little sad also at the thought of all our old neighbours who are dead and gone now. All good people in their own way, the salt of the earth as they say. There were some good priests as well who took a great interest in the parish and its people. Now before I left the church I lit three candles, one for all my Cabra History friends around the world in the hope that God will keep you all safe and well, one for my father and mother and one for all our old neighbours. God bless you all.

Comment

The Evening Standard- December 4th 1953.

In a now thickly populated part of Dublin, once a wild wooded place, workmen are finishing this week one of the finest new churches to be built in the city in recent years. The new Church of the Precious Blood, West Cabra which, with its furniture will cost about £100,000 will be blessed on Sunday, on the eve of the opening of the great Marian Year. His Grace, the Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland, Most Rev. John Charles Mc Quaid, D.D. who blessed the foundation stone and foundations will perform Sunday’s ceremony. It will be followed later the same day with the opening of a Triduum for the Marian Year at which Rev J.C. Moloney S.J., Belvedere College, will preach. On that day Mass will be said for the last time in the temporary iron chapel which was formely part of the College of St. Columban, Dalgan Park, Galway, by Very Rev. V. Burke. The new high altar and communion rails have been the gift of Mr. Patrick Barrett. Other generous donors include Mr. Daniel Dowling, Mr. John Geoghegan, Mr. William Lucas, Mrs Reid and many others. The side altars have been donated by the Sacred Heart Sodalities. The woodblock flooring was supplied and fitted by Dwyer & Daly Ltd, 16 Nth Great George’s Street. The old tin church is about to be transferred to Templeogue Parish to continue its usefulness. Mr. John E. Mc Getrick was the foreman in charge of the building. The Parish Priest who has been paying £5 a day bank interest on the overdraft will now pay £7 per day due to the general rise in building materials. The first words of Mass will be celebrated on Sunday by Rev. Fr. Kilcullen, the first parishoner from Cabra West to be ordained to the Priesthood. It is hoped to provide an organ within the next year. Over the main entrance is a representation of the Chalice and Host with Angels in adoration carved out of Portland Stone. This is the work of two brothers, Albert and Oliver Power, stonemasons. The front elevation is completed with a 130 feet high bell tower.

Comment

There were two in Finglas - one in Finglas West (photos in the Finglas section) and one at the bottom of Ballygall Road - Glasnevin end.

Maybe it was the same church being moved around...
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
            There were two in Finglas - one in Finglas West (photos in the Finglas section) and one at the bottom of Ballygall Road - Glasnevin end.

There used to be a tin church at the end of Church Avenue, off South Circular Road too. It was out of use for some time before it was taken away. I have no idea where it went to.

Comment

I called by the Parish Office the other week for a copy of my baptism certificate and was so surprised to find the church completely empty. I sat down in the row at the back and thought about years ago when there’d always be a few women kneeling down holding onto their Rosary Beads and each of their heads covered with a scarf as they prayed to God to help them find the money for their rent or to give them the patients of a saint as they tried to cope with the husband and his drink. One of our old neighbours used to call into the church each morning on his way to work and light a candle for his father and mother. He used to park his bike in the church porch. And I also thought back to a time when this church was packed to the rafters with people of all ages attending midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. Do you remember all the men and the lads down the back of the church? Father O’Farrell often refered to them as ‘Duck Hunters’ because they’d always be down on one knee. And then there was Friday Night Sodality with a banner for each road in the parish proudly displayed on a pole which fitted through two brass rings on the outside of the row nearest the wall.

I looked up at the altar and visualised all my relations attending my sister’s wedding and her in tears because she was leaving home. I don’t know why because she was back to the Ma’ every other day for one thing or another. And to think that this was the church I was baptised in all those years ago. It’s such a pity the original baptism font is gone. I was the first child in our family to be baptised here because the church wasn’t opened until 1951. Most of the others were baptised in the Pro Cathedral or in the old tin church on Ballygall Road near Finglas.

Can you see on the right hand side of the church up next to the altar were the statue of Holy Mary is?…well that’s where the Crib was every Christmas. Myself and the brother used to sit up at the front just to see Baby Jesus in the manger. And of course I thought about all the times I went to Confession here over the years. During Lent we’d have to do the Station of the Cross and all the statues were covered over, I don’t know why.

I suppose I felt a little sad also at the thought of all our old neighbours who are dead and gone now. All good people in their own way, the salt of the earth as they say. There were some good priests as well who took a great interest in the parish and its people. Now before I left the church I lit three candles, one for all my Cabra History friends around the world in the hope that God will keep you all safe and well, one for my father and mother and one for all our old neighbours. God bless you all.

DT you practically had me in tears reading the above and I was never even in that church.

Comment

sean mcdermott street church

We lived a few doors down from the Church.
                We got a House in Cabra West just after the North Strand Bombing so the Ma told me (I was 2 years old).
                Funny that we lived on Mulroy in Cabra West they had a Tin Church at top of our Road.

Comment

This is beautifully evocative and moving and I feel better for having read it.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post

Could well have been....

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                      DT you practically had me in tears reading the above and I was never even in that church.
                      Nice nostalgic piece indeed from the author....he captures it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaggler View Post
                        This is beautifully evocative and moving and I feel better for having read it.
                        That's for sure....

Comment

Tin Church Cabra West

We came from Gloucester St (Sean McDermott Now) to Mulroy Rd.
                          They had a Tin Church in both places .
                          Remember all the Collections to Build The Precious Blood.
                          Makes you laugh all the Gold in the Vatican and they were asking Poor People for their Pennies.
                          By the Way anyone got up-to-date Photos of what's left of O Connell St
                          Thank You Shilo

Comment

Originally posted by shilo39 View Post
                            Hi All
                            Shilo 39

I have no idea where the tin Church went to, but, I was Christened in it.

Comment

Working...
                            X