• Show
Clear All

• Two Old unique houses on Phibsboro Avenue, Old Phibsboro, Dublin 7

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      Two Old unique houses on Phibsboro Avenue, Old Phibsboro, Dublin 7

We were so lucky to see the unusual

Comment

• A little quiz for Phibsborians and anyone else one knows the area. Name the four Streets/Roads etc?

Comment

• no 1 I park there sometimes Broadstone Avenue

Comment

• No 4 Avondale Avenue?

Comment

• Answers to the Quiz. Bigby got two right.

1. Broadstone Avenue.
              2. Phibsboro Avenue.
              3. St.Peters Road (the house with the Placque is where James Joyce's family lived for many years. They lived longer in this house than in any other)
              4. Avondale Avenue.

Comment

• Some more of images of Phibsboro to-day.

Junction in Old Phibsboro, Dublin 7

Cross Guns Bridge Phibsboro from Royal Canal bank.

Side on view of St.Peters Church, Phibsboro, Dublin 7

Synnot Row, near Mater Hospital, N.C.Rd., Dublin 7
                Last edited by pegasus; 25-04-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Reilly's Crossing

Originally posted by nansson View Post
                  My grandfather was the gatekeeper at Reilly's Bridge....any photos etc. would be appreciated.
                  Hi Nansson, the Irish Railway Record Society has a library night every Tuesday night from 19.30 to 21.45. It is closed for the Summer and starts again in September. You will find plenty of help there. Also try Jim O'Dea's photographic collection in the National Archive. The reference catalogue should be on line (but only very few of the photographs) so you should have some success there as JPO'D covered practically all of the railway network with his photos. Eamonn

Comment

• Originally posted by fishplate7 View Post
                    Hi Nansson, the Irish Railway Record Society has a library night every Tuesday night from 19.30 to 21.45. You will find plenty of help there. Also try Jim O'Dea's photographic collection in the National Archive. The reference catalogue should be on line (but only very few of the photographs) so you should have some success there as JPO'D covered practically all of the railway network with his photos. Eamonn
                    Things must have changed at the IIRS...they dealt out info as though it was top secret. Wish you luck nansson

Comment

• Originally posted by fishplate7 View Post
                      Hi Nansson, the Irish Railway Record Society has a library night every Tuesday night from 19.30 to 21.45. It is closed for the Summer and starts again in September. You will find plenty of help there. Also try Jim O'Dea's photographic collection in the National Archive. The reference catalogue should be on line (but only very few of the photographs) so you should have some success there as JPO'D covered practically all of the railway network with his photos. Eamonn
                      That's great information Eamonn....thank you very much - I'll contact them when they re-open in September....hopefully they'll be forthcoming on my request......although Wombles has her doubts - but I'm a determined swine at times...!!

By the way, where do they meet?

Comment

• Great collection of contemporary photos of Phibsboro here...

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Quote:
                          Originally Posted by nansson
                          My grandfather was the gatekeeper at Reilly's Bridge....any photos etc. would be appreciated.

Hi nansson
                          My grandfather was the station master at that time, its possible they knew one another ,
                          We have had a very long history with Phipsborough , my father grew up there , worked for CIE all his life at Batchelors walk transport depot, when that closed he was moved to Broadstone where her retired in 1974 .

Comment

• Very interesting Andy....do you have any old photos?

Comment

• regetably not , my grandfather was originally from Longford , my father always told me about the harsh difficult times of his childhood, whilst he witnessed families scouring for coal on the tracks , they were just slightly better off , he lost his brother and sister at an early age due to cold and associated chest infections, I suppose there was no reason after that to take photos. I recall my grandfathers fob watch and train whistle in a drawer at home , my dad rarely spoke about his past but Oh if that watch and whistle could talk .

Hard times come again no more !

Comment

• Tough times on our end also.....hopefully we won't see it again.

I have a photo somewhere of a railway workers meeting - possibly union - with my grandfather in it soon before he retired....if I can dig it up I'll post it here.

Comment

Working...
                                X