Cabra West in the 50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabra West in the 50's

My mam and her sister went to a gypsy fortune teller who had an old style caravan parked down near the bowling alley. I loved the fact that I had to climb the steps into a new home
    Last edited by cogito; 02-09-2018, 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
    My mam and her sister went to a gypsy fortune teller who had an old style caravan parked down near the bowling alley. I loved the fact that I had to climb the steps into a new home
    Playing piggy -beds with an old lavender polish tin filled with Earth cost nothing But great fun was had by all ....thats one of my memories of Cabra West in the 50 s

Comment

diggin a hole in the D's garden, having robbed a couple of potatoes on me ma....everyone else had robbed something too we were going to make chips for ourselves.......memories of being dragged out of the burning hole and waiting 6 weeks for my eyelashes and eyebrows to grow hehehe..

Comment

Waiting for the rag and bone man to come on his horse and cart so that we could exchange jam jars and bottles for balloons and other "crap" lol

Comment

My aunt used to bring me on visits to family in Cabra. (Dowth Ave I think). She'd stay till late at night which gave me lots of time to play kiss chasing. Aw but I never could catch that lovely blond with the wringlets, and the goofy one with the snotty nose was like lightning... she always caught me when the girls were 'on it'.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
            She'd stay till late at night which gave me lots of time to play kiss chasing. Aw but I never could catch that lovely blond with the wringlets, .
            And I am still a good runner Rashers lmao!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
              And I am still a good runner Rashers lmao!!!
              Me too he he ......Another great game we played was french skipping and there were many many more fun things we did cmo'n folks share your memories ....you dont have to be from Cabra West to have great memories of your growing up Day's in Dublin .......or anywhere !

Comment

being totally determined to trap a fairy...soooooooooooooooooo (the long word is for you my friend silver heheh)...my little match box would be left open under a rosebush way up the back garden, and every day id stick a lump of bread in it...the idea being the hungry fairy would sneak in to get the bread and get stuck in the box.......in retro i now realize my poor demented mother would sneak up the garden after me and remove the bread.....and then next day when id go to inspect the trap shed explain maybe the fairy was able to climb out of the box with the bread.......awww those days..i tried jam on the bread too hoping the fairy would stick to it hehe

im still looking for that fairy

Comment

robbing a bag of sugar in Nugents house and eating the rhubarb coated is the sugar

buying crab apples in the orchard beside the thatched cottage on Blackhorse Avenue to eat in the Phoenix Park

both these things made you very sick with cramps but still we did them?

swinging on the lamp post, I could climb to the top to put the rope up and get it down again

kick the can on long hot summer evenings

Comment

Is it true what ive been told by someone on here, that Cabra is ok, but some of the people are very rough, and look at the southsiders as being " Too posh" ?
                    I do know that they are not very good at spelling, and they sometimes leave the letter R out when they spell Cabra
                    Last edited by Paddy; 09-05-2010, 01:26 AM.
                    https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                      being totally determined to trap a fairy...soooooooooooooooooo (the long word is for you my friend silver heheh)...my little match box would be left open under a rosebush way up the back garden, and every day id stick a lump of bread in it...the idea being the hungry fairy would sneak in to get the bread and get stuck in the box.......in retro i now realize my poor demented mother would sneak up the garden after me and remove the bread.....and then next day when id go to inspect the trap shed explain maybe the fairy was able to climb out of the box with the bread.......awww those days..i tried jam on the bread too hoping the fairy would stick to it hehe

im still looking for that fairy
                      Write it down for Eamonn, my little pal - Your mam was a gem

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                        Is it true what ive been told by someone on here, that Cabra is ok, but some of the people are very rough, and look at the southsiders as being " Too posh" ?
                        I do know that they are not very good at spelling, and they sometimes leave the letter R out when they spell Cabra
                        And they are fairy trappers to boot! I never heard of such uncivilised behaviour!!
                        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                          And they are fairy trappers to boot! I never heard of such uncivilised behaviour!!
                          ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            You serious Paddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
                              You serious Paddy?
                              course not Liz, but I got a bite out of ya ( I wondered who would be the first to bite)
                              Last edited by Paddy; 11-05-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X