urneys chocolate factory in the 60s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urneys chocolate factory in the 60s

at the age of 17, after spending a year in England, with the intension of settling down back hone in walkinstown. I got a job in urneys, in there dispatch apartment. when I reached the age of 18 they laid me off. the reason, I was surfiess to requirement, I believe at the time because myself and another lad started near enough at the same time. it was a toss up between us two, but because the other lads dad was a foreman in one of the department, so the obivious choice was to let me go, at lunch hour a lot of us would go across the road to the spare piece of land to play football, I enjoyed my time working at urneys, I met my girlfriend there, who later was to become my wife and 47yrs on we are still togeather, so alls well that ends well. regards dunwack.

An aerial photograph of the Urney chocolate factory. The company was established in Urney, Co. Tyrone in 1919 by Harry and Eileen Gallagher and relocated to the Belgard Road, Tallaght, Co. Dublin in 1924. It went on to become one of Europe's largest chocolate factories employing nearly 1,000 staff. The business was purchased and the factory eventually closed in 1980.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by dunwack View Post
      at the age of 17, after spending a year in England, with the intension of settling down back hone in walkinstown. I got a job in urneys, in there dispatch apartment. when I reached the age of 18 they laid me off. the reason, I was surfiess to requirement, I believe at the time because myself and another lad started near enough at the same time. it was a toss up between us two, but because the other lads dad was a foreman in one of the department, so the obivious choice was to let me go, at lunch hour a lot of us would go across the road to the spare piece of land to play football, I enjoyed my time working at urneys, I met my girlfriend there, who later was to become my wife and 47yrs on we are still togeather, so alls well that ends well. regards dunwack.
      Urney for the journey.

I worked in Urney's for a while in the summer of 61. Lots of young people work there then.

I worked on the production line putting the brazil nut chocolates into boxes. I gained a bit of weight but I soon lost it after I left the job.

I got to know a local girl from the area and she had a broad accent unlike any dublin accent I was aware of. It was intriguing to listening to her speak. I don't suppose that accent now exists.

Ahh summer days and the dublin weather was beautiful.

Comment

St. Patrick's parade...?
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm getting this mixed up with your man that drove the milk kart .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
            I'm getting this mixed up with your man that drove the milk kart .
            No... dat was Urney De Milkman...this is about Ernie's Chocolate factory in Tallaght ffs.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Beanos! I'd completely forgotten about them. I used to love them, so much nicer than Smarties.

Comment

Ohoooo.......my faves Tara....made for gorging not for sharing.......remember the selection.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X