Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul McGrath Crumlin footballer was fifty six yesterday. How time flies

Comment

• A very good man in Crumlin. When I worked in the Star My wages was stolen one weekend. Lugs was a friend of the Manager Mr Greeley and he was speaking to him at the time I reported my money stolen.

The following morning he came to my home with a promise my wages would be repaid within a week, He had caught the culprit who admitted the offence, A girl from the shop beside the Star, We shared a cloakroom

He sat down and had a great chat with my Late Mam and my Father was raging he missed him. My Dad loved the boxing, and Friday night at the Stadium was a must for him,

He would have had Lugs there all day
      Attached Files

Comment

• Old Crumlin photo Church Background
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
          A very good man in Crumlin. When I worked in the Star My wages was stolen one weekend. Lugs was a friend of the Manager Mr Greeley and he was speaking to him at the time I reported my money stolen.

The following morning he came to my home with a promise my wages would be repaid within a week, He had caught the culprit who admitted the offence, A girl from the shop beside the Star, We shared a cloakroom

He sat down and had a great chat with my Late Mam and my Father was raging he missed him. My Dad loved the boxing, and Friday night at the Stadium was a must for him,

He would have had Lugs there all day
          His life story is a good read.
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

• I must get it Boxman He was so interesting. Some people couldn't stand him others feared him and some looked on him as a legend which he was in my time in Crumlin, He kept law and order in Crumlin during the teddy boy era when young men went around with chains and such like.

If you were somewhere were trouble broke out without cell phones he would be on the spot within minutes

We could do with a few hundred like him now the gangs are rampant in Dublin.

Friday night my Dad would take me to the Stadium On South Circular Road and he would always point him out to me,

The men watching them fights my Dad included would get quite physical, carried away with the excitement, their arms would swing as they encouraged the boxers and I had to keep ducking to avoid getting a wallop

Comment

I must get it Boxman He was so interesting. Some people couldn't stand him others feared him and some looked on him as a legend which he was in my time in Crumlin, He kept law and order in Crumlin during the teddy boy era when young men went around with chains and such like.

If you were somewhere were trouble broke out without cell phones he would be on the spot within minutes

We could do with a few hundred like him now the gangs are rampant in Dublin.

Friday night my Dad would take me to the Stadium On South Circular Road and he would always point him out to me,

The men watching them fights my Dad included would get quite physical, carried away with the excitement, their arms would swing as they encouraged the boxers and I had to keep ducking to avoid getting a wallop
              I know my Mam knew him well......
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• My Parents knew him but not in a personal sense. They would nod to him if they passed him but they were not to well known to him. I on the other hand from the time he caught who ever stole my wages. He would always chat with me when I was working in the Star.

He was a gentle Giant

Comment

My Parents knew him but not in a personal sense. They would nod to him if they passed him but they were not to well known to him. I on the other hand from the time he caught who ever stole my wages. He would always chat with me when I was working in the Star.

He was a gentle Giant
                  I was about five or six when I saw him in Kevin Street Station.....I thought He was a' Monster'' and I hid behind my Mam's skirt......

I remember feeling a bit more relaxed when he addressed my mam as Gladys........I though only special friends called my mam by her first name....

He had a few cups of tea in our house, or handed out the window.....
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• New Childrens Playground being built in Pearse Park. Years ago when the place was teeming with kids there were no playgrounds
                    Attached Files

Comment

New Childrens Playground being built in Pearse Park. Years ago when the place was teeming with kids there were no playgrounds
                      That would be right.
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

• Your a lot younger then me Dave, I can remember our playground was just outside our door. Kids would call on the house and say "Are Yeh Coming Out To Play"

If My Mam answered They would ask Mrs Walshe is Joan Let out to play. Even if I had been told to stay in to complete household chores my mam would relent and say Okay out you go.

We called everyone Mrs then It was very formal. All my own children always called my neighbours by the first name because they heard me call them that name.

But when I was growing up all my Neighbours were called Mrs, We had so many mammies if a row broke out and a bit of shouting occurred, Curtains would twitch and some Mammy would shout out to find who was the offending Child.

occasionally This would lead to a row as one mother corrected anothers child and soon there would be war. Us kids loved these rows and we were always sorry when they ended with the mediation of another neighbour who would make the two women shake hands.

"Them children will be playing with each other in half an hour" They said while your row could last for quite a while, so don't be silly,

It always seemed to do the trick because my neighbours were all great friends,

A sickness or a trouble of any kind was always met with great support.

Many people living years in housing estates now, never get to know their neighbours. They have to bring their kids to playgrounds, No place to play on the road,

I hope they equip these playgrounds with benches where people can sit as they watch their children play.

One such Playground near my home has no such facility

Comment

• Crumlin Santa lol!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Saint Bernadettes Church. They have stopped building big churches now, Most Churches are quite small,

I remember the saving of money by poor people to build churches such as these and for what nowadays there are so few attend them/Where I live the Church is beautiful and the Architect won a prize for it, But its quarter of the size
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Anyone see themselves here 1965/1970
                              Attached Files

Comment

Anyone see themselves here 1965/1970
                                Martin Laffan front right with the rolled up paper in his hand,beside him is Tom Fagan now living in Perth Australia.Joan I don't know if this is the same photo but I was talking to someone a while ago and they were saying that there is a photo of the st Agnes's boxing club in Mooneys pub in the village.They said Martin Laffen and Tom Fagan were in it and also Martin Cahill the general was also in it.I wonder if it's the same photo.

Comment

Working...
                                X