No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sure its one and the same Rashers although I started to look for Martin Cahill and then I realised I was actually looking for Brendan Gleeson lol

I knew Martin Cahill's sister At one time she lived closeby and I was never aware of her being his sister as Cahill is quite a common name. She is was at that time a really nice person and if she is still around I am sure she still is.

Just as the Dunnes were the Crumlin Gang and then he came along with his gang they all seem quite tame by todays standards, The gangs out in Dublin today are much more ruthless. I know the Dunnes and Martn Cahill had a great degree of ruthlessness also but somehow not as much as todays gangs that carry guns and kill people randomly.

When I was growing up in the fifties I can't ever recall a Crumlin gang. When you think about it Crumlin then was lawful. I wonder was it the wealth that suddenly came in the sixties and seventies that started the problems. Wealth and drugs and the money to afford them. I still visit Crumlin now and then The house we once lived in is now longer anything like the house I knew, Although Daughters and sons of the original neighbours are still living in the houses their parents once occupied. I think the buzz I remember is gone.

On the Avenue I lived on We were all like one big family and although there were mild arguments neighbours would soon make up. I remember as a child going to homes to see people who had died, I was always terrified of doing this, but with a gang of friends we would mount the stairs hanging on to each other for dear life,

We would look at the corpse in the bed, Usually with a white sheet drawn up to the neck, They always looked very frightening,

I often wonder why the neighbours allowed us in and let us go upstairs We would be tipping each other and giggling nervously and sometimes we would be awake all night after it. Times were so different then,

Comment

• Crumlin Shopping Centre 1976 Santa's Arrival
      Attached Files

Comment

• Submarine Bar 1980
        Attached Files

Comment

• Many years ago in Crumlin there would be Diddly clubs. They started soon after Christmas and went right through to the following Christmas leaving you with money to buy food drink and toys, You decided how much to put in and at the end of the year you went around and collected. Sometimes you used it in the shop you had started the Diddly in and sometimes you received your money.

The holder would have gained substantial interest during the year for his pains.

Some ordinary people started Diddly clubs and many of them absconded along the way leaving very sad people behind, So lots of people were loathe to depend on anyone starting up a Diddly Club unless they were shop owners,

Some people started up Money clubs which lasted for twenty weeks, in such clubs you drew a number and it could be in the first few weeks that you received your money but you still had to pay in until the finish, There were twenty one weeks in the payments and twenty weeks were paid out, The person who started a club had a free number and that was their fee for running the club.

Sometimes people swapped their numbers. If there was a communion or confirmation or a wedding coming up they would ask the person due to be paid on that week to swap over and most would oblige,

Shops today have something similar you can buy stamps and mark a card and claim your money at the end of the year But you can't lose that card or you lose out big time, However this practise is fast dying out, People seem to have more money now although we still moan we haven't enough
          Attached Files

Comment

• There was a man from Cashel Road who put this bus up on the old Dublin Forum.IE in 2011 I wonder will others still recognise themselves I know suzie was there and I think Dubdoyle Kevin Horan Archangel and myself and a few others
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
              There was a man from Cashel Road who put this bus up on the old Dublin Forum.IE in 2011 I wonder will others still recognise themselves I know suzie was there and I think Dubdoyle Kevin Horan Archangel and myself and a few others
              Was that Bulfinch

Comment

• Yes indeed Rashers He has a different name now But hes still as nice as he was then

Comment

Yes indeed Rashers He has a different name now But hes still as nice as he was then
                  One of the best

Comment

• Crumlin is sad now lots of empty houses that can;t be given to people who need housing because they are owned by people who don't inhabit them.

The Corporation have boarded many of them up. Meanwhile neighbours who live adjacent to these home have to put up with unsightly gardens and noisy youths gathering at night,

A relative has recently gone into a home. Her immaculate house is been looked after by relatives but many people in Homes are not so lucky it saddens me when I remember over sixty years ago the wonderful thriving community that was Crumlin.

Recently a man from Downpatrick Road, my old road had lots of lovely Crumlin Christmas cards printed from his wonderful art.

Vincent Conway a talented artist another great Crumlin Success story
                    Last edited by joan mack; 23-12-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Crumlin is sad now lots of empty houses that can;t be given to people who need housing because they are owned by people who don't inhabit them.

The Corporation have boarded many of them up. Meanwhile neighbours who live adjacent to these home have to put up with unsightly gardens and noisy youths gathering at night,

A relative has recently gone into a home. Her immaculate house is been looked after by relatives but many people in Homes are not so lucky it saddens me when I remember over sixty years ago the wonderful thriving community that was Crumlin.

Recently a man from Downpatrick Road, my old road had lots of lovely Crumlin Christmas cards printed from his wonderful art.

Vincent Conway a talented artist another great Crumlin Success story
                      Why are the houses abandoned?
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

• I haven't seen any

Comment

• It happens when the owner dies and the children have emigrated and can't be reached. Or are not interested. The house by law has to be left for a certain amount of years before it can be taken over,

On the Plus side I still have old neighbours living in houses their parents once lived in. They have of course did a great deal of work on them,

I still have cousins on Downpatrick Road.

Rashers I will Pm you the addresses of two I know of

Comment

• Happy Christmas From St Agnes where I was Baptised and made my Communion and Confirmation and I was finally married from there. Makes me feel like Little Jimmy Browne
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That is St Agnes church isn't it Joan?

Comment

• Yes Vico in Later years when I had married and left home. Downpatrick Road became part of St Bernadette's Parish, I never did know which was the nearest to us. I think St Bernadette's

Comment

Working...
                                X